Project ideas for a 13yo

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 13 year old boy seems to be at the point in his life were all he wants to do is stick his face in a screen.
Part of the problem is he has it way too easy. While he has a few daily chores, I don't have any farm animals for him to tend to, or other hands-on labor.

I've put a lot of effort into sharing my knowledge and doing things to make sure he turns out to be a productive member of society throughout his upbringing, but I'm struggling for ideas during these god-forsaken winter months where we can't even get any snow to keep us busy.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some ideas for things we could build / fix / do together that might help inspire him to be a useful human.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your already on the right track (y) Do you have anything that you would like to have a better storage system for any of your hunting/fishing equipment? Something to keep things from getting banged up or beat around? If so, let him come up with some ideas with what you have in mind. I am always tinkering with things to try and improve ways to protect the expensive toys we have at our disposal nowadays. And don't let Guy talk you into a BAZILLION bungees and duct tape. :)

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 13 year old boy seems to be at the point in his life were all he wants to do is stick his face in a screen.
Part of the problem is he has it way too easy. While he has a few daily chores, I don't have any farm animals for him to tend to, or other hands-on labor.

I've put a lot of effort into sharing my knowledge and doing things to make sure he turns out to be a productive member of society throughout his upbringing, but I'm struggling for ideas during these god-forsaken winter months where we can't even get any snow to keep us busy.

Anyway, I'd love to hear some ideas for things we could build / fix / do together that might help inspire him to be a useful human.
Buy him a late 60's early 70's car the two of you could rebuild together it is something he will cherish and remember for life.

On second thought scratch that idea getting him hooked on the hot rod bug he will be broke for life.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dad always had a pile of wood that needed splitting.
^^^This^^^ granted I grew up on a farm and had a good sled hill 70ft from front door for snowboard shenanigan's, shed hunting and other various things. Stuff I did inside was fiddle with fishing gear and tinker with lures, got into carving crank baits (this might have been later in life) and we had reloading in the basement and things we could do in the shop if I wanted.
Buy him a late 60's early 70's car the two of you could rebuild together it is something he will cherish and remember for life.

On second thought scratch that idea getting him hooked on the hot rod bug he will be broke for life.
I was going to go down this route. Here is an idea based off of a project I still want to get back into doing. Dad had an old VW bug he wreaked years ago so he got a fiberglass dune buggy body and modified the frame to make it fit, the engine needs to rebuilt for it and not sure what else.
Maybe find an older Jeep to fix up and if he sticks at it he can have it when he gets his license

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Idea ask him what he might like maybe small motorcycle to ride or race and work on or as mentioned car or truck to work on if you know how seems he will be driving soon. Hunting, fishing don't force it to crazy he has to what it, make it a pleasure. Thats how I grew up. I did it for my kids. I agree to many like that now with gaming.

Last edited:

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Teach him how to adjust a rifle trigger. Tear-down, clean, re-assemble different sorts of shotguns, mount a scope. Get a Lee Load All shot shell loader and turn him loose. Help him set up a sizing die, your trimmer, a pocket uniformer, and turn him loose on brass prep.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he is a fan of guns/hunting, see if he has interest in reloading.
Some kids love doing wood burning art. Some nice starter kits out there.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get him into motocross racing and you can hit indoor arenacross once a month in rapid city all winter. He can polish the bike every night between races

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any interest in archery? Could look into a membership to the archery range and one of the shooting league. If you don't have any of the equipment might be a little costly startup but if it's something he's interested in might be worth it. Can get him into a pretty decent setup for not too horrible with a couple I know of, also some good used stuff out there on Archery Talk as there are guys that change out bows like underwear. I keep saying I'm going to get into shooting some league stuff but not a lot of open time with work and family obligations.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots of good books out there with drawings for wood-working projects for kids. Shop around and you should be able to find something with items in it he'd be interested in building with you.

Same thing goes with physics and chemistry projects.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
First thing you want to do is limit his screen time, theres no real way to compete with tictok and stuff like that when it comes to dopamine release. Limit him to 1 or 2 hours / day on his mobile device. He'll be pissed off for a week or two, but then when he starts to get bored, you might be able to get him to engage in more productive things...

Perch_herder

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple of thoughts.... custom rod building, air brushing lures, 3-D printers, laser printers for burning designs in wood, or plasma cutter for creating metal signs. All have a cost to them but could be a lot of fun.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84