RR Red River 5-8-24

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, this season has started off with a bang! It is proof that stable conditions make for great fishing. Water levels have been the same for weeks until this past weekend when it came up a little from rains which will really put the pre spawn fish into high gear.

Water levels are near perfect, water temps are in the mid-50s and the catfish are on the annual upstream migration to bulk up and get ready for the spawn which should still be a month away. The fish look clean and healthy. The forecast looks very positive with no real cool downs and no hot weather ahead.

Look for catfish in the faster water right on the break line or smaller holes near that line. One thing to consider if they are not there earlier in the day go out of the current (not to far away) until the sun gets higher and puts some heat on things and they will move into the faster current. Give spots an honest 20-25 minutes before moving. You will know whether to move or not when the time comes.

Bait has been easy. PUT SOME ON A HOOK! They have taken everything I have thrown at them so far which consists of both fresh and frozen suckers and goldeye.

I truly believe the best is yet to come as things warm up a little more.

Redrivercatfish.com

Attachments

da3197ee-9e12-4fee-82dc-9818fe46cf86.jpg

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for the report. What is the best way to anchor a boat on the Red River?

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for the report. What is the best way to anchor a boat on the Red River?
I put it off the bow as centered as I can so I don't swing. Use about 3 feet of rope per foot of water. Right now you can get away with less rope.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a richter style anchor off the bow and a smaller one off the back when needed to stop the sway if the wind is blowing strong. Be careful with the one off the back, it can be detrimental when reeling in a fish!

Some people I know anchor sideways to the current. Makes for convenient fishing but presents too much risk for me with other boats or during high water when logs and trees are floating downstream.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a richter style anchor off the bow and a smaller one off the back when needed to stop the sway if the wind is blowing strong. Be careful with the one off the back, it can be detrimental when reeling in a fish!

Some people I know anchor sideways to the current. Makes for convenient fishing but presents too much risk for me with other boats or during high water when logs and trees are floating downstream.
You still interesting in doing the FM Catfish Tournament?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i am also a sideways guy. one out the front & one out the back w/ 4 rods fished out of the downstream side obviously. god i miss it!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
PowerBait Trout Paste floats and could be injected into a lively night crawler in conjunction with a worm blower...:

For "game fish"; I believe a "-------" presentation is important. For cats I wouldn't hesitate to hook up a "ball" and present a "Y".

That is all:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 157
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57