Roughrider Gamebird Taxidermy???

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
For anyone who has been in the business, does a 1 year law make it difficult to make the business work? I mean for a full time guy I don't see it being an issue. But would it be hard for the part time guy? The WY law is something I think most states should have. One year from drop off to delivery. It's not unreasonable to me but I have only dabbled into taxidermy.

I've ben burned by a similar individual. Had two birds, one an awesome white bellied interphase blue goose, get destroyed by a taxidermist who took too much on. The SDGFP eventually confiscated all his freezers. I was called to pick up the birds and when I thawed them they were rotten completely......freezers had been off for awhile. I never got any deposit back for the birds. There was always a health excuse or some other bogus thing. Sad for sure. And, I have been told he re opened again under a new name.

Had a buddy who had to go track down his horns from a local guy too. Never could get it done. He took a 10# walleye to another "reputable" guy and had never seen it. The guy won't answer even his door. Total scum.

I'm to the point I just take a picture. Either you don't get the bird back or it looks like a two year old did the work. Sad deal for sure, I always heard good things about RR Gamebirds.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I think it's clear if you want a top end job on birds in Grand Forks you best take it to the man that taught rick what he knows and that would be Jim Benson at sportsmen taxidermy.

micdundee

Founding Member
Founding Member
So are we going to band together and bring this taxidermy fraud kingpin down or what? I just stopped at my bank and had them print out my receipt proving he cashed my deposit.

I think it would be great to do a little get together in GF and knock on his door and see whats up.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
For anyone who has been in the business, does a 1 year law make it difficult to make the business work? I mean for a full time guy I don't see it being an issue. But would it be hard for the part time guy?

I have spent some time in a well run full time shop (2-3 taxidermist) and from what I gathered and saw, a 1 year law would make it more difficult and more $$.

To keep things as efficient as possible they would seem to focus on different things at different times. They would do a big group/batch of walleyes at a time, deer shoulder mounts at a time, African animals, European skulls, bear rugs/mounts, birds, etc.

Each one of these items requires different tools, different paint, different forms, etc.

Most of the tanning, rug, pelt work is sub'd out to tanneries and specialty shops so you can save on shipping/paperwork/communication if you ship over 1 large batch at a time.

The paint booth is optimized for the different setups as well. tips/guns/paint colors etc.

So given that, if a guy drops off a bear hide right when they are in the middle of the other bears, it might not be touched for another year when they get to the bears again. If that year they got in excess fish or lots of deer, or one client with 20 African animals it could back up the regular sequence they have for a few additional months.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had a few fish and deer mounted.
The quickest ever was Wes Ennon in Sterling, he had it back to me in less than 3 months, and it looks as good as anything I have ever seen.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would be curious to see wes stuff now since I haven't had him mount anything in a long time. His work back they was decent and fast but definitely not top end. It's been nearly 20 years so would assume he's improved some in that time. The goat to the right was done by wes and the one on the left was down by lansburger.

IMG_20160719_144838238.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a triple walleye mount completed in 21 days and it was fantastic. The next fish by the same guy was about 16 months.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a triple walleye mount completed in 21 days and it was fantastic. The next fish by the same guy was about 16 months.

Of course because you are the person that zespy says hey this guy deserves the royal treatment. You even brag about that. # pathetic

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
geez dean, u gotta start letting them little ones walk. :;:thumbsup:;:cheers

The sad thing is when I look the left one to lansburger it was the second biggest of the year. Sadly the one buck bigger was the one my hunting partner got and about the exact same time 4 miles apart of where mine was down. All in all the drinks at the bar flowed almost aswell as the down pour outside that we know we didn't have to deal with the next day. Mine missed book by a couple his missed by less the an inch and is a stud.

Oh and the one laying on bottom of the base is my bow kill from two weeks early that year.
20160719_232031.jpg I'm

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I had a bird at this guys place I would try to meet him face to face and find out what exactly is going on. I'd want my bird and the deposit back. If he refuses take him to small claims court.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course because you are the person that zespy says hey this guy deserves the royal treatment. You even brag about that. # pathetic

Um, just stating facts. Didn't brag and didn't mention names. I think it's about time you scheduled an appointment for some meds.

Last edited:

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone get any updates on their long-awaited mounts from Roughrider Gamebird Taxidermy?

My guess is this guy saw all the negative comments on here and worked right through the weekend to get caught up and everyone got their birds back...

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did text the other day and got a response from him that he was hoping to get birds done by august but he had to do some traveling for his kids baseball game and said that September will be my month. We will see if it's just more talk or if there will actually be some completion of the birds.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49