Sak question

Browneye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Im pretty new to fishing the big lake having fished it a little more than a dozen times. I generally have fished the Beulah, Hazen ramp areas but have been around Douglas and Garrison bay areas and what i believe is called the Nishu area. I have always wondered when camping or putting in at the Beulah - Hazen ramps why most boats seem to take off from the south side and head across to fish the north side of the lake. Is there some thing structurally the north side has that the south side doesnt? Most of the time the wind is out of the west or north and you would think most of the mudlines would be forming on the points and banks on the south side of the lake.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have also noticed that as well. I’d say from the fishing I’ve done, here’s better structure on the north side(main lake).
the south size is mostly high wall cliffs, where the north side has more flats and sunken points.
Not saying you can’t catch fish on the south side, because plenty of fish are caught there!
I could be completely wrong, but I feel that’s part of it.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its just fisherman mentality! The fishin' is ALWAYS better on the other side of the lake! :;:rockit

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It justifies your purchase of a big water boat that can safely take you across the main part of Sak.

But yeah, I too fell like there's just better fishing on average the farther north you go.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The stretch from Beulah bay going east is where the old river channel swings toward the south side of the lake, so main lake is deeper and I think in general there's a little bit less fish holding habitat. We've caught plenty of fish on the south side over the years, but some of our favorite spots on the north side produce more consistently and we've gotten in the habit of going that way most of the time. The last couple of high water cycles and erosion have also drastically changed some of the spots along the south shore of the main lake that we used to like, and a lot of people haven't tried to re-learn the new contours. The north side hasn't had as much of that so those old favorites are still there. If conditions are right or we're short on time we'll still fish the area. In the mid to late summer the high walls can be very productive, and the mouth of expansion bay used to always be good.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its just fisherman mentality! The fishin' is ALWAYS better on the other side of the lake! :;:rockit

2 weeks ago, I put in at Dakota Waters and ran to nishu and pepsi flats. Last weekend, I put in at Indian Hills and ran to red butte.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd put in on the south side too and run as far north as Tobin for some killer fishing

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33