Sakakawea salmon??

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just curious if anyone had the opportunity to get out over the long weekend and do some down rigging? Wasn't able to get up there for a couple weeks and looks like I will this up coming week, wondering if activity is picking up? Made it up a few weekends but it was a little slow yet, 1-2 each time. Did manage a couple small ones in the tailrace, close to about that 3# mark.

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have liked to have gone out, but the only day with nice weather I was busy with other things. Hopefully this weekend will be nice and the fish will finally be there.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Instead of running Reef Runners at 23', or lead core lines to 30', could a person run a three-way swivel with a 2oz sinker weight and go deeper with the Reef Runners down to 45-50ft?

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been running a 6oz snap weight with a 30ft leader with reef runners. I was hitting bottom at 80ft. Picked 2 up in 2 outings this year. Probably not the best set up but its helped me avoid buying down riggers.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish some intrepid soul would try vertical jigging.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
has anyone had any luck yet pulling cranks. I hope to give it a try this weekend.

I would like to know if anyone has had any luck lately as well. Ill be camping with the extended family this weekend and i cant think of a better reason to stay in my boat all day

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe it would work fine and add an added challenge of "hunting".

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish some intrepid soul would try vertical jigging.

Ive done it, it works. Line counter and a jigging spoon. Also used bobbers above spoons on windy days from shore, the waves jig the spoon up and down.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished for shallow water salmon last Friday and came up empty. I saw no evidence of them coming shallow yet. Sorry.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had two last Saturday by 830, was on the water 630-3, both on firetiger spoon down 65', others that I talked to had one here and there mostly 65' as well, very slow. Too bad they're not called walleyes so a few more could be put in such a small body of water?? Maybe if our state went back to a trout and salmon stamp we could afford to put a few more in huh?? You always here about water level fluctuations yet the GNF will dump 20,000 eyes in any slough that holds 8' water, just a thought

- - - Updated - - -

While I'm on the subject...I'd also like to see the snagging season opened again in October with the exception to swim areas, kinda silly that the remaining living get to rot all around you on the shores in the back bays but heaven forbid you keep a foul hooked fish that'll die in 2 weeks.

love2fish2gether

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a few different ideas to try this weekend. I have some divers and some these way swivels. Anyone ever get then on an old red and white red devil spoon..

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Am I wrong in thinking that the salmon should be catchable from shore by the coming weekend?

Seems to me it was about this time of year when I stood on the shore by the dam and caught a few tossing spoons as far out as I could get them.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
As good of a shot as any, I used to wait til duck opener and did well. Tailrace is probably a better shore option this year for me anyway. I've had more in there this year than the lake.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 40
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15