SB 2315 - Sneaky Underhanded BS

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we need to get started on a long term solution - now

- - - Updated - - -

I’m convinced these characters are representing themselves - not the majority of farmers/ranchers who are fine w the status quo - just like the majority of sportsmen.

We are not arguing “with ag” - we’re arguing with individuals and a handful of orgs headed by driven people who use their organization’s members to advance personal agendas. Like driven politicians do. (more identity politics)

- - - Updated - - -

only hard-nosed politics will win this.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Excellent thoughts and well expressed guywhofishes. It would be wonderful to have a sportsmans group that supported or opposed legislation based on merit and not whether it was introduced by the pervert party or the money worshipping party.

Edit: I think I will email all our reps again thanking those who preserved our North Dakota outdoor heritage and culture.

This bill came to close not to be prepared for next time.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
it can’t be just hunting and fishing related - strength in numbers - it should include everyone who enjoys recreating on land whose owners don’t mind and choose not to post it

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Count me in. I'd like to reiterate that I'm anything but anti-farmer and rancher. I do have a big problem with big ag groups. They've done a good job making hunters and fishermen out to be the farmer's enemy though dishonest means. This fiasco got so muddied because they were constantly moving the goal posts, i.e. it was about DAPL protesters, it was about poachers, it was about property rights, it was about not putting up signs. Since there was a common sense solution to each one of those problems that had nothing to do with this bill, and they still tried to force it through, it became pretty clear that this was just about chipping away at the presence of outdoorsmen and women. Like I've said before, once interest in being outdoors in our state has dwindled, the farm bureau and stockman's association will have less opposition to put every square inch of the state into production and keep the peasants out. ND will be one big private garden. The one legislator (who's name I forget) who's debate devolved into a confusing rant about how hunters are responsible for federal laws in Washington that don't let him drain sloughs and he's sick of it shows where a lot of their heads are at.

To me, it got to be that I opposed the bill not only on how it affects how MY property is managed, our small businesses, or hunting access. But the fact that it had to be pushed through as incomplete as it was. Kept in the dark until the last minute time after time, no mention of funding, sneaky sunset clauses. Asking questions was "getting into the weeds, just pass it and we'll figure it out later". The snooty emails about how they should picnic on my lawn, leave trash and shoot at my dog to see how I like it. I spent 45 days face to face with those protesters, trust me when I say I'd like nothing more than for them to be punished. This bill would not have done a thing to them. Then for land owning rep's to tell us in session "good luck shooting a mule deer again if this doesn't pass", everything will be off limits. Flat out embarrassing. This was not urban vs. rural. It was just a poorly written bill. For an objective outside view, there is no doubt who was on the wrong side of how this all went down.

Landowners understand that if we don't want someone on our land, we have to post it. Most will grant access to posted land if they are asked. The rest, who never allow access anyway for one reason or another (and I know a few) were probably for this bill. Most hunters will either see a sign and not ask, and will move on to hunt somewhere else. Some do ask. The overwhelming majority do not "feel entitled" and enter as they please.

To end my final rant on this bill, I am all for a solution that works for everyone. I'd like to be a part of some type of round table talk, have a few beers and get to down to what the problems are and how to solve them. I'll volunteer to get a group going to fix some fence, pick up trash, nail up a few signs (call before enter, walk-in only), lobby to get a few more wardens out there, call in any R.A.P. violations I see, anything to show that we're not all the FB made us out to be.

cheers

dustit

The one legislator (who's name I forget) who's debate devolved into a confusing rant about how hunters are responsible for federal laws in Washington that don't let him drain sloughs and he's sick of it shows where a lot of their heads are at.

It was representative Brandenburg from Edgeley.

I agree with all of bravo’s post. The I’m not going to tell those affected until last minute shenanigans is ridiculous. Thank goodness for Nick and others informing people so well and timely!

There absolutely needs to be a group and organization put together to represent the common hunter and typical landowners regarding this issue! Growing up in agriculture and discussing with many family and friends actively engaged in farming I can say this bill is not the will of the people I have discussed with, which includes farmers, landowners and outdoor enthusiasts!

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Things like that need to be saved for before the next election. Remind everyone in your district what some of them think of sportsman.

I wrote all the House members and received immediate word from a few that it was false.

I also got a response from Rep
Bob Martinson in Bismarck that "You need a life".

If you are in his district... vote this guy out. I am amazed and pissed at the response.

Here is what I wrote that got that response...
Representatives,

I know the House voted down SB 2315 today. I watched all the testimony today and am pleased it was voted down. I came home tonight to a rumor that some shady, backhanded attempt is being made to resurrect this bill. I cannot state how angry and disappointed I will be if there is another vote on this. The people have spoken and do not want this "trespass law". If this is ram-rodded through at the final hour there will be many angry voters. Please let this bill die..

I am surprised to see that he voted against the bill...​

Last edited:

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry, haven’t had time to read. Is this thing dead yet or not?

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry, haven’t had time to read. Is this thing dead yet or not?

I beleive so...... but this bill has had so many lives, morphed, transformed and then got divided like only a creature with super powers could possess.. but I beleive it’s dead for 2 years

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am amazed at how shitty some of our elected servants strut around with bells on their shoes.
Representing North Dakotans is a privilege, not some god like duty requiring us to bow as they pass.
Makes me laugh at the arrogance

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I beleive so...... but this bill has had so many lives, morphed, transformed and then got divided like only a creature with super powers could possess.. but I beleive it’s dead for 2 years

The language concerning the development of an electronic land access database and electronic online posting application and trial use in three counties was passed in HB 1021.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The language concerning the development of an electronic land access database and electronic online posting application and trial use in three counties was passed in HB 1021.
But was it funded?

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
But was it funded?
I am concerned as well as a bit confused about funding. Below is how the bill is described on the legislative website.

'Introduced by Appropriations
A BILL for an Act to provide an appropriation for defraying the expenses of the information technology department; to amend and reenact sections 37‑17.3‑02.2 and 37‑17.3‑03 of the North Dakota Century Code, relating to the membership of the statewide interoperability executive committee and a state cost‑share for radios purchased for the statewide interoperable radio network; to provide a legislative intent statement; to provide for a report to the legislative management; to provide for a transfer; to provide an exemption; and to provide for a legislative management study.'

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not even sure if that is referring to what we’re concerned about

NM 24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not even sure if that is referring to what we’re concerned about
I'm sad to say that HB 1021 version on the official legislature website page for HB 1021 has not been updated since April 18th. As posted underneath another forum topic thread on Nodak Angler, copied and pasted below is a link to what I believe was the version of HB 1021 that was voted on and passed. See section 6.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/documents/19-0209-03003m.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

Below is a link to the legislature official website page about HB 1021 that includes the description of HB 1021 I posted above.

https://www.legis.nd.gov/assembly/66-2019/bill-actions/ba1021.html

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
HEY! STURGEON!

I'm gonna call this my reward for SB 2315 going down (thanks again for all of your work in making that possible!) it was a great vacation, even with last night's "last ditch" efforts.

New personal best @ 58" (I'll get to 60" one day)! She was a hoot in the debris-filled water this morning!

NS58sturg.jpg

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Somehow we need to force legislation out in the open more. Maybe some rules on having to produce any proposed legislation, changes to proposals, amendments etc. to have to be posted to the public for 48hrs before any vote on said legislation

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
we need to get started on a long term solution - now

- - - Updated - - -

I’m convinced these characters are representing themselves - not the majority of farmers/ranchers who are fine w the status quo - just like the majority of sportsmen.

We are not arguing “with ag” - we’re arguing with individuals and a handful of orgs headed by driven people who use their organization’s members to advance personal agendas. Like driven politicians do. (more identity politics)

- - - Updated - - -

only hard-nosed politics will win this.

guy, permit me to change two words around.

Farmer/ranchers
are not arguing with “sportsmen” - we’re arguing with individuals and a handful of orgs headed by driven people who use their organization’s members to advance personal agendas.

The ND chapter of the wildlife society, the ND wildlife Federation, Delta Waterfowl and United Sportsmen of ND signed a letter of support for SB 2315. Rep. Todd Porter said he was very disappointed in them because after they got what they want they threw all other recreationists like shore fishermen under the bus. That letter really put you in a funk guy. So you refuse to believe it, writing,

guywhofishes said,

without any signatures, that letter could have been typed up and submitted by anyone - I doubt it’s genuinely from them

if it is, they need to sign their leadership’s names to it

We have representatives in the Senate and House representing us. We all know who they are. Farm orgs like Farmers Union has leaders like Mark Watne and Farm Bureau Daryl Lies. Right wrong or indifferent, everyone knows their name and who to flame. The wildlife industry also has orgs and leadership representatives. Are they agenda driven using membership numbers to advance their aspirations? What are their names?

So there was a tussel at the Captitol. Opposing legislators gave as good as they got. Here's one in the kisser, a swing and a miss, an uppercut, a body slam. They should have just name dropped the individuals who signed for the three conservation/preservation and one sportsmens org.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88