School Resource Officers

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty scary that even the cops can't legally deal with unruly kids in schools:

MOORHEAD — After a change to Minnesota law, the Moorhead Police Department is pulling its school resource officers out of Moorhead Area Public Schools, the city said in a Thursday, Aug. 24, release.

"Recent changes in Minnesota law have been interpreted by legal counsel to remove the standard law enforcement authority of officers contracted by school districts or assigned to work in schools," Capt. Deric Swenson said in the release.

A section of Minnesota's education bill signed into law by Gov. Tim Walz in May limits the holds school resource officers can use on students. Under the law, school resource officers cannot use a prone, or face-down, restraint.

School resource officers and other school staff also cannot "inflict any form of physical holding that restricts or impairs a pupil's ability to breathe; restricts or impairs a pupil's ability to communicate distress; places pressure or weight on a pupil's head, throat, neck, chest, lungs, sternum, diaphragm, back, or abdomen; or results in straddling a pupil's torso," the law states.

Swenson told The Forum the restraint limitations section of the law is what prompted the program suspension, as Minnesota law enforcement is not sure if a school resource officer can have any physical contact with a student.

State and local discussions are ongoing about the intent of the law change, the release said, noting the League of Minnesota Cities, Department of Education, Minnesota Police Chiefs Association, Minnesota Sheriffs Association and Attorney General's Office are working to resolve the issue.

In the meantime, Moorhead school resource officers are reassigned to patrol duty, the release said.

The announcement comes on the first day of school for students in Moorhead Area Public Schools.

The school resource officer program has been in place for more than 30 years in Moorhead, the release said, and school safety remains a top priority. Police are still able to respond to calls at public schools.

YCbtx

If I was a teacher there, I would be looking for employment to the west. I swear it wont be long and Minnesota will be irrigating their fields with "Brawndo".....because its got what plants crave...lol

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
So they cant restrain a kid... big deal. Probably less risky just using pepper spray, taser, or bullets anyway. You could catch a disease if you had to wrestle a grubby teen on the ground!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
On a good note in the time I taught myself never saw an SRO have to restrain. Generally when they get there the party is over and the kids shape up. But kids are getting more and more belligerent. Sad days.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dunno about you guyz,im old school,if we disrespected a teacher,got mouthy,ran in the halls of school etc,gym teacher was summoned, his large flat 1x4 paddle with a dozen holes drilled in it to reduce wind shear,then parents ( in my day we had both parents)were informed, then pop's finished the job.

Minnesota has a weak suck pos governor, he allowed mpls to burn,murders etc,new mpls nick name murderapolis.

Further,today begining sept 1st,the entire state of texas will have a armed security guard in all public schools,gonna be a shitshow when school starts with all the 3rd world trash in Texas.

FJB

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I was a teacher there, I would be looking for employment to the west. I swear it wont be long and Minnesota will be irrigating their fields with "Brawndo".....because it’s got what plants crave...lol
Brawndo solves everything!! Not that nasty toilet water

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope to God there isn't an active shooter event that makes this bad decision a horrendous one. I heard today that they could fix this quickly if they were "in session", but that doesn't happen until February. Do the right thing and call a special session to get this turned around immediately!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The brats will really act up now.
You can't seriously think that a teen will really read this and reach the conclusion that it's a good idea to act up, can you?

I am guessing there are other reasons they have that will cause them to eventually strike out.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
North Dakota needs to fight the federal ban on right to carry in ALL public property including school ground, malls and make all citizens take a concealed carry/hunter safety course on how to properly use a firearm in all situations with atleast 200 hours using a firearm at a gun range to prove you can use that firearm properly. Win win in my book oh and just like youth can hunt with a firearm youth should be able to carry guns with the same rights as a responsible adult.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Huh? They have to “read this” to know that the cops are no longer present at their school?
No, it's not that they will have to read this to know cops are no longer present, but it's being presented as "the cops aren't here, so let's act up". I am saying the youth are far more likely to be much more impetuous and the really bad apples don't care if there's a security guard present.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
They might act similarly, but I'd want a cop around to take care of it. Not waiting 10 minutes for one to respond off of patrol.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88