Smoke Bombs for pest control

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had some mole problems at my land and Im hoping this is an effective tactic to eliminate them. Plus, who doesnt like making improvised incendiary devices? Heres the knowledge ive gathered so far....

To make a smoke-bomb for pest elimination, you can follow these steps:

1. **Gather the materials**: You'll need potassium nitrate (also known as saltpeter), sugar, a toilet paper or paper towel roll, wooden matchsticks or candle wicks for the fuse, and a small paper or plastic cup.
2. **Prepare the mixture**: In a small bowl, mix 3 parts potassium nitrate with 2 parts sugar. You can adjust the proportions slightly, but be careful not to create a mixture that is too rich in potassium nitrate, as this could make the smoke bomb burn too quickly.
3. **Insert the fuse**: Make a small hole in one end of the toilet paper or paper towel roll and insert the wooden matchstick or candle wick into the hole. Make sure the fuse sticks out a little from the end of the roll.
4. **Fill the tube**: Pour the potassium nitrate and sugar mixture into the roll, making sure to leave enough space for the fuse to stick out.
5. **Seal the ends**: Pinch one end of the roll almost closed around the fuse, leaving a small opening for the fuse to burn down to the mixture. Pinch the other end into a funnel shape, allowing the smoke to escape.
6. **Use the smoke bomb**: Place the smoke bomb in the pest's burrow, making sure to cover any openings to prevent the smoke from escaping. Light the fuse and allow the smoke bomb to do its work. Be sure to follow all safety precautions and use the smoke bomb only in areas where it is legal to do so.

Remember to exercise caution when using smoke bombs for pest elimination, as they can be dangerous if not handled properly. Always follow safety guidelines and use the smoke bombs in accordance with local laws and regulations.

To effectively exterminate moles using smoke bombs, a typical approach involves using 1.75 oz. smoke bombs. These are commonly sold in packages containing multiple smoke bombs, such as a pack of 4, totaling 7 oz. of smoke-bomb material. The exact quantity needed may vary based on the severity of the mole infestation and the size of the area being treated. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using smoke bombs for mole extermination.

In a potassium nitrate and sugar smoke bomb for pest elimination, the addition of sulfur can indeed enhance the effectiveness of the smoke bomb. Sulfur is known for its insecticidal properties and can act as an additional deterrent for pests. However, it's important to note that the exact amount of sulfur to be added can vary based on the specific formulation and the desired outcome.

For a standard smoke bomb mixture that consists of 60 grams of potassium nitrate and 40 grams of sugar, you can consider adding about 10-15 grams of sulfur to the mix. This addition should increase the effectiveness of the smoke bomb against pests. However, please remember to take necessary safety precautions while handling sulfur, as it can be hazardous if not dealt with properly. Always wear protective gear and work in a well-ventilated area.

To slow the burn rate of a smoke bomb made for pest elimination containing sugar and potassium nitrate, you can adjust the ingredients and their ratios. Here's a step-by-step approach:

1. Increase the Potassium Nitrate (KNO3): Increasing the amount of potassium nitrate in the mixture will slow down the burn rate. This is because potassium nitrate acts as an oxidizer, and a higher amount of it will require more heat to ignite, thus slowing the burn rate.
  2. Decrease the Sugar: Reducing the amount of sugar in the mixture will also slow down the burn rate. Sugar acts as a fuel, and less sugar means less fuel for the reaction, which results in a slower burn.
  3. Add Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate): Adding baking soda to the mixture can help moderate the combustion reaction, making the smoke bomb burn a bit cooler and slower.
  4. Use a Slower Burning Fuel: You can consider using a different fuel that burns more slowly than sugar, such as powdered charcoal.
  5. Adjust the Mixture Consistency: Make sure the mixture is not too wet or too dry. If it's too wet, it will take longer to burn. If it's too dry, it will burn too quickly. The mixture should be damp enough to hold together, but not so wet that it's dripping.
  6. Use a Longer Wick: If you're using a wick to ignite the smoke bomb, consider using a longer one. This will give the reaction more time to start before the entire mixture is ignited.

Remember, adjusting the ingredients and their ratios can affect the performance of the smoke bomb, so you may need to experiment a bit to find the right balance for your needs. Always exercise caution when working with these materials, as they can be flammable and dangerous if not handled properly.

Has anyone made or used smoke bombs for pest control, if so what were your results?

SmokeB ingredients.JPG

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
These were made using 1 part sulfur to 4 parts potassium nitrate to 6 parts sugar. Heated in a stove until melted and poured onto a paper towel, rolled and cut before it cooled too much. Add a bit of canon fuse and tada, SMOKE TIME.
1000004456.jpg

I figured adding more sugar to oxidizer would SLOW the reaction, but evidently it speeds it up, so these burn pretty fast. I would have rather gone the other direction and slowed the burn a bit... Next time I will reverse the sugar and oxidizer amounts.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or, you could just buy them.

I know you can be one of our more frugal members, but these are literally around a buck fifty each.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or, you could just buy them.

I know you can be one of our more frugal members, but these are literally around a buck fifty each.
NOT AS MUCH FUN though... :p A lot of stuff I do, isnt necessarily to save money, I enjoy doing stuff myself, gives me some satisfaction. Caution, if you melt this substance in your house, it will smell like sulfur for a few days, women might not like this..

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A leaf blower gets shit moving. Seen a UTUBE vid on smoking out rats with a batch of rat terriers waiting to play catch. Two little dogs on a rat and then play wishbone. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to try some exhaust from the tractor and see how that works. I tried poison in the tunnel and the little buggers had it on top of the ground by the next day.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heard cat litter/cat shit dumped into a hole gets rid of them asap..not sure it works nor have I tried it..just heard froma fellow coworker they absolutely hate it and will scatter from yard/property fairly quick......if you want to mess with cat shit.

ice head

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're pocket gophers, moles are found further East. Trapping them is the only way to know you killed them. Get a couple of Victor traps, find their runs by driving a long screwdriver into the ground then dig a small hole where the tunnel is, set a trap going both directions then cover the hole with a board so no light gets through.
Make sure you anchor your traps or they'll be gone!

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just stuck a propane hose down their holes and turned the valve on. Really wanted to light it, but common sense kicked in. Regardless, got rid of them.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a farmer bring you one of his anhydrous ammonia tanks.

Shove the hose down the hole and turn the valve on for awhile.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like watching the 2 dogs. They are thinking "Yep your a dumb ass" ...rofl...

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a farmer bring you one of his anhydrous ammonia tanks.

Shove the hose down the hole and turn the valve on for awhile.
I do have a nitrogen tank.... Ill have to look into the pocket gopher idea, if thats the case, maybe poison grain would work also. Smoke bomb seems like a more fun solution, not sure how effective it is however. Anyone tried them with good results?

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do have a nitrogen tank.... Ill have to look into the pocket gopher idea, if thats the case, maybe poison grain would work also. Smoke bomb seems like a more fun solution, not sure how effective it is however. Anyone tried them with good results?
Gophers eat roots not dry grain. Figure out how to get poison into potatoes or carrots and your good to go. Should have said Pocket Gophers, LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55