Soaking Meat in Fridge

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I soak my birds in water for an hour or two. Usually that's after a few water changes. That's just to prepare it for the freezer. If I do any brining, it's the day of cooking/smoking and usually involves a mixture of salt, sugar, water and seasonings.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree 100%. Mallard cooked medium rare at the most is very steak-like in both taste and texture. I bet a lot of people would have a hard time believing it's duck if they tasted it cooked right.

Sharptail grouse cooked medium rare to medium at the most is very flavorful as well and has absolutely no "liver" flavor that some speak of as well.

YES!! I had no idea what I was missing out on until I started treating ducks like red meat. Duck is truly a delicacy and should be treated as such.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove by the shit ponds on the south side of Dickinson yesterday, must have been a hundred "flavorful" ducks swimming in that luxury spa, flavoring the meat you water fowlers later eat...hahaha.
If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck, and taste like a duck, that's right you be eating shit...:;:howdy

I soak my birds and fish in a salt water bath from anywhere of one hour to a couple days, just depends on my memory. It pulls any blood and ick out of the meat, seems to add a bit of tenderness/ moistness to the meat as well.

When you buy a chicken, it is already cleaned, and sealed in the bag with a salt water brine added to the sealed bag for weight, and taste.

Glocks are for queers.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I drove by the shit ponds on the south side of Dickinson yesterday, must have been a hundred "flavorful" ducks swimming in that luxury spa, flavoring the meat you water fowlers later eat...hahaha.
If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck, and taste like a duck, that's right you be eating shit...:;:howdy

I soak my birds and fish in a salt water bath from anywhere of one hour to a couple days, just depends on my memory. It pulls any blood and ick out of the meat, seems to add a bit of tenderness/ moistness to the meat as well.

When you buy a chicken, it is already cleaned, and sealed in the bag with a salt water brine added to the sealed bag for weight, and taste.

Glocks are for queers.

Said the guy eating pheasants that have been picking corn out of cow shit.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

Glocks are for queers.

Chicken is totally not clean out of the package. If you dont rinse off chicken good ur sick.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Said the guy eating pheasants that have been picking corn out of cow shit.
its good roughage, corn really never digests though, so a guy can eat it over and over if so desired...ahaha

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my sweet glock door stop. About all its good for...
20151019_205842.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a bum in Philadelphia try to jack me with a glock, I laughed pulled it out of his hand as he kept miss firing it at me, and pistol whipped him with his own faulty gun.
He actually thanked me after I finished thrashing him and promised to steal a quality jack gun next time he was sober...haha

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my sweet glock door stop. About all its good for...
image.jpg

Oh ya, I use my 1911 as a... Oh wait, I don't have one. Glad to see you gave into your secret crush and picked up a Glock. You even put it someplace readily accessible in case of a home invasion. Where's your 1911 when the **** hits the fan? Oh, left in the safe. Not surprised.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of old timers my grandfather hung ducks on the north side of the barn with guts in for three days. It sounds nuts, but I remember thinking grandpa had the best tasting ducks of anyone. Tried it with field dressed grouse once. Very good.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, old timers would hang pheasants by the head. When pheasant fell to the ground they were ready to eat.

Fascinating.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of old timers my grandfather hung ducks on the north side of the barn with guts in for three days. It sounds nuts, but I remember thinking grandpa had the best tasting ducks of anyone. Tried it with field dressed grouse once. Very good.

Everything I've read about aging meat is that it's all about temperature. Too cold and the bird freezes, which just preserves it the way it is. Too warm, and the bird starts harboring nasty microbes that can make you sick. If you have access to a small dorm fridge, you can buy an aftermarket temperature control that will keep it at the optimum temperature. With birds that aren't too shot up (especially gut shot as gun enzymes make for bad eats) hang them for a few days in your temperature controlled meat ager and you'll wind up with some truly amazing meats. No guff.

Tommyboy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better question: how the hell does Tommyboy know what "soaking" is? What've you been up to in that barn young man?

Just relaying the facts. :;:howdy

And I thought I would receive some thumbs and rep for having a funny post. But I guess glocks suck?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just relaying the facts. :;:howdy

And I thought I would receive some thumbs and rep for having a funny post. But I guess glocks suck?

haha, I tried right now but was only able to give you a thumbs up

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36