Some registration changes for motorized watercraft

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
60,000 North Dakotan's who own motorized watercraft will soon receive a registration renewal notice and there are some changes.

Most people at this time of year aren't thinking about boats, jet skis, or any watercraft. Even so, the new three-year cycle for boat registration starts January 1.

"This year we've moved exclusively online by payment with credit card and this can be done with both renewals and new registrations," said Brian.

You can renew your motorized watercraft for the upcoming open water season starting December 15 on the Game and Fish Department's website at gf.nd.gov. And this year there is a new program associated with motorized watercraft registrations, which is designed to help prevent the introduction and spread of aquatic nuisance species into North Dakota.

"The 2019 legislature established an aquatic nuisance species fund. This fund is used for the enhancing education, monitoring inspections of aquatic nuisance species in North Dakota waters. And in addition, it also is to enhance compliance with enforcement," said Brian.

To fund the new aquatic nuisance species program, the 2019 legislature passed a law that establishes an ANS fee for motorized watercraft, fishing and nonresident waterfowl licenses.

"The laws in place will create an aquatic nuisance species fee for motorized watercraft, $15 for watercraft registered in the state and this will be pro-rated with the registration cycle," said Brian.

And if you're motorized watercraft is not registered in North Dakota, but you plan to use it on lakes or rivers in state, you must purchase an aquatic nuisance species sticker for $15 per calendar year.

"The aquatic nuisance species sticker must be placed on the starboard side of the watercraft within 6 inches of the registration number and decal. For motorized watercraft registered in the state an aquatic nuisance species sticker is not required. It's sufficient to present your normal North Dakota decal," said Brian.

The additional fees are meant to protect our lakes and rivers for future generations to enjoy.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
First the game and fish doesn't give a shit about ANS and now they have a way to haul in some revenue.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a joke. Next will be a new sticker or fee hunters will have to purchase, on top of licensing and tags. They will label it for whatver, and they will fill the coffers

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
60000 times $15!! Good way to stop ANS...raise taxes..... 900K Should be enough to stop EVERY BOAT coming in from MN!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never heard a word about this before. Must live under a rock with a full billfold.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the price of 5.00 a year (price of a non fancy drink), I am ok with it. (IF) they use the funds wisely. Fine HEAVILY for those not in compliance, and PROSECUTE without dismissing the case(s)

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our game and fish is laughable. None of this money will be used on ANS....better chance used for administrative bonuses or bringing in more mountain kitties :bigpuke:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We should have some kind of plan posted on how this new tax will be used. Sounds like a TEA PARTY to me. If used wisely its money well spent and I don't ever take my boat out of state. You can believe every out of state boat I see with out a sticker will be turned in.

Last edited:

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
"The aquatic nuisance species sticker must be placed on the starboard side of the watercraft within 6 inches of the registration number and decal. For motorized watercraft registered in the state an aquatic nuisance species sticker is not required. It's sufficient to present your normal North Dakota decal," said Brian.

So is this just for out of staters or all of us?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So it sounds like $15 every three years for ND resident and no sticker required. $15 every year for out of state watercraft and sticker is required. If that’s how it works I’m fine with it, but they need to use the $ to set up required inspections for out of state boats entering ND or the whole thing is pointless.

MT already has this fee for all licenses, not just watercraft. Costs a guy like $80 to fish for 3 days.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They will use the money to bring wolves or pigs into the badlands, maybe a grizzle bear or 2

sdtransplant

Established Member
Not to whine or be a smart a$$ but why should I have to put the sticker on my boat for the two days we come up to fish, couldn't I keep in in the boat to show I have it? What good is it for residents that take their boat out of state and fish another infested lake and then come back in state (not saying every fisherperson ,but some don't give a rats a$$ ). We have the same law here in Nebraska Colorado come and go every week. sur they don't just use the boat in Nebraska only , checked first time only good for the rest of year.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
So is this just for out of staters or all of us?

I took this to mean that us in staters will get nicked a little more when we renew our boat registrations so the normal sticker will be proof that we supported the new program. Out of staters get a "special" sticker to show their support.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not to whine or be a smart a$$ but why should I have to put the sticker on my boat for the two days we come up to fish, couldn't I keep in in the boat to show I have it? What good is it for residents that take their boat out of state and fish another infested lake and then come back in state (not saying every fisherperson ,but some don't give a rats a$$ ). We have the same law here in Nebraska Colorado come and go every week. sur they don't just use the boat in Nebraska only , checked first time only good for the rest of year.

Not to whine or be a smarta$$ but you will have to put that sticker on your boat because that is the law in ND. Same as any other state you travel to, you are required to follow that state's laws.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't think of a good reason non motorized watercraft should be exempt.

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes...sticker must be on the starboard side of the boat. So I presume that if the boat has a motor on it, it will need the decal, even duck boats?

- - - Updated - - -

Can't think of a good reason non motorized watercraft should be exempt.

The news story said this did not apply to kayaks or canoes. That’s why they say “motorized watercraft”. This applies to every jet ski as well.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news...nges-for-motorized-watercraft--566213341.html

Last edited:

EZZIE

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montana will welcome you with a $30.00 fee for Non-resident boats planning on using their waters... Yearly fee...

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Montana will welcome you with a $35.00 fee for Non-resident boats planning on using their waters... Yearly fee...

Umm.. Not sure where you you get your info but this is completely false.

The only ANS fee in Montana is paid for with fishing licences. $2 for Residents and $15 for NR's

Its been a controversial subject for awhile as its unfair that the fisherman pay the entire amount when the thousands of tubers/ pontooners and pleasure boaters pay NOTHING if they don't buy a fishing license.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88