Some registration changes for motorized watercraft

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
What if you use a SD ramp and venture into ND without a sticker????

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
it so they can "feel good" about trying to stop the spread when in fact they have been stocking the majority of the waters on the eastern side of the state with infested water for god knows how many years now..... a $15 sticker wont stop the spread much like banning baiting wont stop the spread of CWD much like banning tactical style weapons wont stop mass shootings...its about feeling good to those in charge

- - - Updated - - -

99.99999% follow the rules sticker or no $15 sticker.... the ones who break the rules will break them sticker or no sticker

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to whine or be a smarta$$ but you will have to put that sticker on your boat because that is the law in ND. Same as any other state you travel to, you are required to follow that state's laws.

What if you launch in SD and cross into ND??

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rowdy I think it depends more on the state the boat is registered in, but I think I see what you are getting at tho

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What if you launch in SD and cross into ND??

Not sure what applies in that case. I'm assuming if you are fishing in ND waters you are required to follow ND rules and viceversa if fishing in SD waters. Is it legal to catch a limit in ND waters and then move to SD waters and catch another limit?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it saves one lake it'll be worth it.

Ah who am I kidding - it's not going to save a lake. They're all doomed in the long run.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure what applies in that case. I'm assuming if you are fishing in ND waters you are required to follow ND rules and viceversa if fishing in SD waters. Is it legal to catch a limit in ND waters and then move to SD waters and catch another limit?

I would think you should be able to fish both in one day. But can you do it on the same trip? I used to work with a guy from Linton, who said you could, IF you put in on the SD side and went into ND the wardens there were letting both limits come back through on the SD side. OR it could have been the other way around, its been 15 years lol. IMO if you have a license in both states, and you're fishing the state line area. You should be able to catch a limit in each state, on the same trip.

Oh, and how are out of state fishermen supposed to know about the INS sticker? If your from the northern part of SD right on OAHE, it seems pretty stupid to have to pay $15 to cross into ND when you fish the same body of water all the time!

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would think you should be able to fish both in one day. But can you do it on the same trip? I used to work with a guy from Linton, who said you could, IF you put in on the SD side and went into ND the wardens there were letting both limits come back through on the SD side. OR it could have been the other way around, its been 15 years lol. IMO if you have a license in both states, and you're fishing the state line area. You should be able to catch a limit in each state, on the same trip.

Oh, and how are out of state fishermen supposed to know about the INS sticker? If your from the northern part of SD right on OAHE, it seems pretty stupid to have to pay $15 to cross into ND when you fish the same body of water all the time!

In either case it's back to knowing the rules of the state in which you're fishing. Perhaps the guy you knew was correct and perhaps he wasn't. Perhaps the rules in SD are different than ND. I for sure do not know the rule affecting border waters as I don't fish any border waters. If I did it is my duty to know the rules. Not arguing whether it's a good change to try and stop the transfer of ANS, just that not knowing the rules isn't a valid argument.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I just renewed mine , I have to say whoever is designing their website does a heck of a job, took about 1 minute to get it accomplished

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
In either case it's back to knowing the rules of the state in which you're fishing. Perhaps the guy you knew was correct and perhaps he wasn't. Perhaps the rules in SD are different than ND. I for sure do not know the rule affecting border waters as I don't fish any border waters. If I did it is my duty to know the rules. Not arguing whether it's a good change to try and stop the transfer of ANS, just that not knowing the rules isn't a valid argument.

I don't have a dog in this fight. Don't have a boat, don't fish border waters. I have to agree with you though, ignorance is no excuse for the law. If it were, everybody would say (when caught) "I didn't know, honest..!".

I assume, the same thing happens at the US Canada border. You can't put the boat in here, fish over there, and tell the Mounties (yeah, I'm American, and I put the boat in in America, so your rules don't apply).

At least, please don't do that without videotaping the results. This, I wanna see.

EZZIE

Founding Member
Founding Member
Umm.. Not sure where you you get your info but this is completely false.

The only ANS fee in Montana is paid for with fishing licences. $2 for Residents and $15 for NR's

Its been a controversial subject for awhile as its unfair that the fisherman pay the entire amount when the thousands of tubers/ pontooners and pleasure boaters pay NOTHING if they don't buy a fishing license.

I went thru a check station in mid October, at fort peck, Nashua. I was then directed to the region 6 office in Glasgow. I'm the first non resident to pay the $30.00... Maybe you would like to bet $30.00 on that statement ???

Last edited:

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I agree. Lot of people bitching about nothing being done, and now bitching about something being done.

I think most people are bitching about the fact that they're going to collect the fee, and most likely nothing will still get done. They need to put out a statement on how they plan to use the extra fees and then actually follow through with that plan.

If they actually use the money to put washdown stations and ANS checks in at landings throughout the state, then I have no problem paying $5/yr.

A bit more transparency would go a long way with this.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Transparency? I'm not familiar with the NDG&F being anywhere near the most transparent organization in the land. They make the charges to the registrations first, and do that without a plan in place (or if the sportsman is aware of the plan) to implement.

I did fork over my $51 yesterday. It wasn't but a few years ago that fee was just $18, if I recall. Did the amount of service and access triple? Not likely.

Seems like the City of Minot raising taxes first, then give pay raises to the city manager and each commissioner AFTER everything is implemented. I'd bet you a pink slip that those numbers were already loaded into spreadsheets in order to get the mill levies figured out, yet the citizens wouldn't know about it beforehand. That's how bad government works.

:;:deadhorse

Last edited:

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I went thru a check station in mid October, at fort peck, Nashua. I was then directed to the region 6 office in Glasgow. I'm the first non resident to pay the $30.00... Maybe you would like to bet $30.00 on that statement ???

I stand corrected. It was implemented on October 1. I'm on my way to MT with my boat this weekend and I couldn't find any press releases or any new information on it via google so I called and in typical Fish and Game fashion the first two people I spoke with really had no idea anything had changed and the third told me it was motorized vessels only, which I later found online is untrue.

Still chaps my ass that all the tubers who flood the rivers out there all summer pay ZIP but the dude who puts on waders and goes fishing has to fork over $15 ;)

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
bHMRO6At.jpg
I stand corrected. It was implemented on October 1. I'm on my way to MT with my boat this weekend and I couldn't find any press releases or any new information on it via google so I called and in typical Fish and Game fashion the first two people I spoke with really had no idea anything had changed and the third told me it was motorized vessels only, which I later found online is untrue.

Still chaps my ass that all the tubers who flood the rivers out there all summer pay ZIP but the dude who puts on waders and goes fishing has to fork over $15 ;)

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Re-upped my boat license and it took about 2 min, Now I hope they put the money to good use. Some reply on how they use the extra would go a longway on how sportsmen feel about the fee.:;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84