South Dakota may change Deer regulations.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
HURON, S.D.—Deer hunters shared their concerns Saturday surrounding a new deer hunting license proposal from the South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks during a Q&A at the State Fair in Huron.

While the new proposal is designed to help increase the number of hunters drawing their preferred firearms deer license, longtime hunter Roger Johnson is opposed to the alternative lottery system, particularly the rule of having to choose one preferred season.

"My preference for putting in a license will be for an East River tag, but I also put in preference for a West River tag, which I have built up numerous years of preference for. And under the new proposal, I would lose those years of preference points," Johnson said.

Johnson, an avid deer hunter living in Pierre, pressed Kevin Robling and Tony Leif of the GF&P on how preference points would be affected under the new proposal, which is another area of concern for Johnson and many of the hunters at the Q&A.

Johnson is one of about 17,000 deer hunters who hunt both East and West River.

Under the new proposal, deer hunters would have to choose one preferred season for their choice of first license draw, instead of applying for numerous preferred seasons at one time like the lottery system allows now.

Hunters are able to purchase preference points when they apply for a deer license, and costs vary on the amount of points a hunter wants to purchase. Those preference points will give a hunter better odds at getting drawn for the next year's deer season in which they built up preference points for.

"I have hunted both sides of the river for years and years," Johnson said. "Under the new proposal, my preference points would be East River. But I would lose those because they would be gone after the first draw."

Under the new proposal, GF&P Special Projects Coordinator Robling said firearm deer hunters could still receive more than one tag in a season, but they would come further down in the draw process, making it more unlikely for hunters to draw multiple preferred licenses.

As stands, there are seven deer hunting firearm seasons in South Dakota, which are Black Hills, West River, East River, Custer State Park, Refuge, special buck and muzzleloader deer season. If the proposal is passed, the drawings for the seasons would take place on the same day.

Leif, director of wildlife with the GF&P, and Robling, provided transparency of the agency's new proposal to the public during the Q&A, laying out statistical facts on why the commission came up with the alternative lottery system.

In 2017, there were 52,622 resident hunter applications for 35,522 available licenses. According to Robling, there was a 46 percent success rate on deer hunters getting a license on their first draw last year.

Mark Mammenga, a firearm deer hunter from Humboldt, S.D., addressed his concerns about how the proposal would impact hunting unit applications.

"If you are unsuccessful when you apply to a unit area that you have no land and no ties to, how would that be of any help for hunters under the new proposal?" asked Mammenga.

Hunting units are boundary areas that deer hunters have to choose from to apply for a deer license to hunt that area, and each county in South Dakota is a hunting unit. Hunting units include private and public land.

Robling responded to Mammenga's question, and said the public land units are always in high demand for deer hunters, particularly the Black Hills, given the fact it is all public deer hunting land. Under the new proposal, this would pose a challenge for deer hunters like Mammenga.

According to Robling, the GF&P has 1.1 million acres of public hunting land.

"There are guys like you and me that are going to have to knock on some doors and get more landowner permission," Robling said in response to Mammenga's question. "It might not be as good of a unit as the one you are used to hunting."

During the hour-long Q&A, a question arose about how archery deer hunting would be affected under the proposal. According to Robling, there are 1,500 state residents that deer hunt by way of archery in East and West River.

Leif, director of wildlife at the GF&P, said the proposal makes no changes on how archery tags are drawn, and he doesn't see that changing.

However, one area of archery deer hunting on the Commission's radar to change is the criteria for a nonresident archery license.

"I don't have exact details of the discussion about nonresident archers, but I know it is being discussed," Robling said. "I'm not sure if they are putting a cap on unlimited nonresident archery hunters, but I can guarantee they are working on the unlimited nonresident archery license process."

Toward the end of the Q&A, Robling thanked all deer hunters who attended and reassured them that the GF&P Commission is listening.

The next step will be for the GF&P Commission to hold two public hearings this week in Yankton at the Lewis and Clark Recreation Area. Then on Oct. 4 and 5, the GF&P Commission will make a final vote on whether the proposal will be approved.

lostinnd

Founding Member
Founding Member
Living in SD now I have some skin in the game and I hope they go through with the changes. The way I understand it you won't lose your previously acquired preference points. Say I have 3 East River and 4 West River and I apply WR and draw I still have my ER and could use them next year. I think it will take some years to shake out but people will more often be able to draw their preferred unit/tag. LOTS of people bitching about it but it is a good thing to get more younger hunters in the field and people that want to hunt locally will have more opportunity. There will be a lot of units that don't sell out in the first draw that people can apply for in the second draw or later. I guess if I had time to take on 3 buck tags all over the state then maybe I would have a different opinion but for most people who have time for one good hunt it will be nice to draw our preferred tag more often.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So tell me how will it make it easier for you to draw your already hard to draw tag. It will force all of the other whiners to pick that first drawing. Kids get tags every year they don’t even have to draw. What county do you apply in? I like how I should get penalized because I prioritize hunting and taking my kid hunting just because others don’t and want to be catered to. I can’t wait till this back fires bigger than shit They use false advertising like the walworth and Campbell county any deer tags as examples every one knows they are hard to get going in. The biggest part that pisses me off is using getting young hunters in the field bullshit. Don’t lie just say you want to improve odds of getting a buck tag in your little home area

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
People in SD have had it too good for too long....;)

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
ND, SD.......Different states, different regulations, same type of bitching. I blame it on the “everybody gets a trophy/medal crowd.”

yep

People in SD have had it too good for too long....;)

I know having the chance to hunt multiple bucks each year why wouldnt we change it...........

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88