Soybean welfare plan

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This will cause some ripples in the pond...

https://qz.com/1335367/trump-wants-...ers-money-to-china/?utm_source=YPL&yptr=yahoo

So nowTrump devised a new program to help farmers who'll be affected by his bs tariffs?? Mcfeeley called it welfare but one caller said it can't be called that because it'd be hard to buy a new pickup this winter with a welfare check. My question is this...if the average Joe banks on getting a raise and goes out and overextends himself and then doesn't get the raise it's tough shat for him so why is it different for others?

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because government has long chosen winners and losers. That's how politicians get votes.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
More welfare for the farmers.
Hey i farmed and ranched once too and i still think the government programs are a joke. Other businesses don't get near and most get no benefits.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrible idea.

Let farmers take their lumps just like everyone else in the real world does.

Now I'm sure other industries will be looking for the same deal.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
YAGpXPd.png

- - - Updated - - -

dangit - gst gave me ptsd

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don’t really have a strong opinion one way or the other about the ag relief he’s proposing. It just is what it is at this point. But for the situation as a whole, the entire country has been saying for decades that China hasn’t been playing by the rules when it comes to trade. Everyone agreed on that and thought something should be done. This is that something. I don’t know if this is correct way of going about it, I don’t know if it will result in a ‘win’ or not, but being a doormat was not good either. It’s probably going to sting everyone by the time it’s over but I don’t think there was ever going to be a way to do it without some “casualties”.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figure after all the grunting, growling, and making faces between us and China are over, the Chinese will still need the Ag products we have to feed their people so this will balance out over time and all will be OK. These short term issues are small potatoes when stacked up against a fair trade balance going foreword into the future. Taking measures to keep the impacts to the producers at a minimum is a sound move IMO. I'm willing to give President Trump the benefit of the doubt on this. He's supposed to have "Advisers" for these matters. I'm going to give it some time and see what develops.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
The whole country is surviving off borrowed money, we dont produce much anymore, its all a sham. We are living in a house built of cards! Some might find this interesting, I agree with a fair amount that they are saying....

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I figure after all the grunting, growling, and making faces between us and China are over, the Chinese will still need the Ag products we have to feed their people so this will balance out over time and all will be OK. These short term issues are small potatoes when stacked up against a fair trade balance going foreword into the future. Taking measures to keep the impacts to the producers at a minimum is a sound move IMO. I'm willing to give President Trump the benefit of the doubt on this. He's supposed to have "Advisers" for these matters. I'm going to give it some time and see what develops.
Exactly right, the Chinese still need to eat. They will buy just as much of our ag products, but perhaps through a third party rather than directly. They will keep saying they will not buy our products all the while buying through a third party. Perhaps they will hold of a few months trying for a better deal or cheaper food products. Every year they panic about the ag bill.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
And we need to eat too. Well the rest of you anyway. I am usually pretty well flush.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
They're going to get their soybeans from Brazil or Argentina. So even if we settle this tariff back and forth nonsense, why would they come back to us for soybeans when they've found a new supplier?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They're going to get their soybeans from Brazil or Argentina. So even if we settle this tariff back and forth nonsense, why would they come back to us for soybeans when they've found a new supplier?
They can't get enough from Brazil and Argentina at least this year. There is a big drought and drop in production in Argentina this year. They can't supply china without cutting off their other customers this year. China will be forced to buy from us this year but who knows during the next growing season.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I want my food to come from an America farmer/rancher, want that to continue and am willing to give help with my taxes.
A lot of the farmers I visit with are for what Trump is doing with tariff. Some not so happy but then they, their parents were all democrats and no way can a republican please them.
I do feel in the long run this will all work its way out for the better for us all including the farmers and maybe stop some of that dumping of Canadian wheat on us.

If we are hurt by this, one must think China is being hurt too along with the rest of those butthead over seas.

Again I work in town for a salary and they run a business. Most drive a nicer, newer, more expense vehicle than what I can afford, more time off and more trips and with there depreciation for things they claim for the farm, the government pays for a good share of that vehicle.
When they whine one just needs to let them know the facts about life. Not sure who drives the half ton (known no farmers who drive less than a 3/4 ton) with the $50,000 boat hitch behind the camper.

If farming is tuff, try living in town for a boss, 8-5 while driving a IHC pick-up. Parts are hard to find sometimes and that is why we have baler twine. Five cylinders have 40# of compression but one has none. The front brakes are worn and the back have none. But being a corn binder it still keeps ticking. db-2

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is going to take awhile for these tariff wars to play out and one just has to let Trump play his hand. Unfair trade for so many many years and when he does try to do something about it people jump down his throat for trying to fix it. The poor man can't win for losing!

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brazil and Argentina will buy from us and sell to China. Then China will continue to tell us they will not buy from us.

A lot of the farmers I visit with are for what Trump is doing with tariff. Some not so happy but then they, their parents were all democrats and no way can a republican please them.
If farming is tuff, try living in town for a boss, 8-5

Bingo, give that man a cigar.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with the Trump trying to make it a level playing field. Should have been done a long time ago.

I just don't agree with taxpayers paying the tab for the farmers (again).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41