Sparkle boat

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
SLE: Petras math?? ----- web site you can buy a 20 footer for 51k. http://www.stratosboats.com/model.cfm?name=326XF

So if you work it backwards and take 75% of 69k (price of the ranger??) = 51k.

Thats the way i read his math -- but then again what do i know. All i know is he made a nice suggestion boat wise for the thread and then got shot down as somebody called his boat a turd.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is just plainly misleading; 75% more for a reata than a stratos, I don't think so. Paying cash for one and financing the other for 10-30 years, your not looking at apples to apples and no where did I see anything on resale. I'm not a ranger guy at all, don't and haven't owned one (I like my yar-crafts!) I have no problem of someone defending their purchase but lets not let your brand loyalty of what you own cloud your perceptions.

Just for conversation sake, I just search bisman & walleye central. I found a 14' 386xf for $33k, a 16' 386 xf for 36k, a 12' 386 for $31.5k, and a 15' for $43k. so lets just say you can find a nice lightly used late model with warranty and ready to fish for $35k ish which appears to be a pretty decent deal.

When I searched for an 1850 Ranger Reata, I found a 16' for $42k, a 15' for $45k, and a 13' for $35.5k. lets say you can get into a comparable reata to the 386 for $40k ish which I think if it's apples to apples it would even be closer but I error on your side for a moment.

I see a + or - $5k difference or about 14% more for the Ranger, certainly a long ways from 75% more. So for a person looking to buy, your telling me that they'd be able to pay cash for the $35k stratos but the extra 5k for the ranger would make them finance it for 10-30 years? Obviously they'd be able to put $35k down on the ranger so they'd only be financing 5k, so at most your talking a year or two for financing. The flip side is you'll probably recoup atleast half of that on resale down the road. So in all reality, the real difference in costs between the two isn't but a couple grand or more than about 5% of the purchase price. for that I'll pick the one with a better reputation, better fit and finish, and better ride every time. That resale gap may actually grow larger as the boats age.

I don't mind some friendly boat banter but lets keep it real........

- - - Updated - - -

As far as finding a sparkly boat, I'd first narrow it down to the size and layout that your after, it'll help narrow down which boats you'll be searching for. If you want a 21 footer, after figuring out which boats layouts best suit your use, then age, engine hours, condition and warranty will become the factors. Back the size down to an 18-19 ft rig, the rest of those go up. It's a balance based on your budget. For $50k though, any of the big players in the 18-19 ft realm should be in play either very lightly used, hold over models, or basically new depending on brand, options, motor size, tandem or single axle trailer and so forth. at that dollar, I'd be more concerned with getting the boat that you want and will like versus not if it comes down to a few grand.

Sorry, my 75% more may have been a little bit high... guess they are only 50% more when you really compare apples to apples.... ;:;bowdown
http://moritzmarine.com/category/fishing-boats/?item=1558

http://www.stratosboats.com/model.cfm?name=385XF

For the same price as that ranger with the 150 on it in the first link, you could get a 326 stratos with a 250 on it... but there I go again, comparing apples to oranges...
http://www.stratosboats.com/model.cfm?name=326XF

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brand new out of box Stratos 386 XF $35,395* W/MERCURY® 150XL FOUR STROKE from Manufacturer
Brand new out of box Ranger® Reata 1850 Boat Regular Price: $40,495.00 (not sure on HP probably 150 4-stroke) – estimate since Ranger does not have pricing on their website

However the misconception is when Ranger offers a lot more options and larger boats…jump up to a 619 or 20ft Reata then the price tag goes up substantially $55k-$65k

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
and I guess I don't really look at resale value as a deal breaker... I don't trade my boats off every year, I plan to keep my current boat for at least the next 10 years, or until I have enough cash saved up to go buy another one outright.... I guess if that means I gotta use the same turd for the next 10 years so be it... at least my turd is paid for and under warranty.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quite a few guys are not financing these things. Buy what you can afford and enjoy it

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I give Stratos credit for allowing you to build a boat and add options so you can see the actual price right on there web site, kudos to them! you should maybe give it a try. I went ahead an did just that so I could see a direct comparison between the Ranger at Mortz that you posted and an equal Stratos. After you add all the optional equipment to get the 386xf to be almost apples to apples with the ranger that you sent, the price comes out to $46,527 before setup and destination which I'm unsure if mortz has in there price or not. Assuming they don't, that puts the actual difference at $5,468, huh, how about that. and this is considering there was some stuff that comes with the ranger that I couldn't add to the stratos through the web site but I won't even worry about that. I find it funny because everyone thinks the rangers are so expensive, which by right all these boats are but when you drill into it and compare equal to equal they are way close than most realize. The gap might get up to $10k on 620 but we're talking about 18.5 footers so I'll leave it at that to save myself some time.

I really like when you click on the 326 and it shows a price of $51k and change with a picture of a pretty decked out rig with a 250 Verado hanging on the back but the fine print says price only includes a 250 Opti. nice advertising!

- - - Updated - - -

Just went through and decked out a 326 the way I see a lot of 620's set up, price came out to $80,372 before destination, setup or taxes. I think I might have been off when I thought it would be 10k cheaper................................

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
SLE - your representations of years as 14', 16', etc. gave me a headache since I was reading 14feet, etc.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1