Species Introduced to ND

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many species do we hunt that aren't native to ND?

- Ringnecks
- Huns
- Sheep
- Zander

I say we drop the sheep because for 60 years we haven't been able to support a sustainable population. What should we try instead?

- Siberian Tiger - they're endangered due to poaching but I feel like they'd thrive here given the climate, space, and food sources. We might lose a cow or two, but isn't that worth supporting an endangered species? If the species does well, it'll take care of our mountain lion problem and eventually we can hunt them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's scary shi'ite. You're correct in my estimation. I'd rather not hunt with a mask on the back of my head.

th

I still want pure strain muskie, striped bass and redfish in the tailrace. And zander. Studies have shown they don't breed with walleye.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot about enhancing the hatchery creek to facilitate natural trout/salmon reproduction.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your population of stinky hippy's has went up alot you should have more than enough to have a season

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pigs, zebra mussels, blue gills, jackelopes, Saber tooth snapping beavers, horses, soon to be wacky tobaccy.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of pigs the Game and Fish doesn't want them in the state, but it's illegal to shoot them. That doesn't sound to bright. They say someone could shoot a farmers pig. In the middle of the badlands?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do believe turkeys were not native to the northern plains either. Although they are a north American bird they were introduced further north and west by man. I could be wrong but I remember watching or reading something about this years ago.

Pisses me off to no end The one we do not hunt but has more pull on the river system shutting down sandbar access that is non native is the piping plover.;:;banghead:;:deadhorse

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many species do we hunt that aren't native to ND?

- Ringnecks
- Huns
- Sheep
- Zander

I say we drop the sheep because for 60 years we haven't been able to support a sustainable population. What should we try instead?

- Siberian Tiger - they're endangered due to poaching but I feel like they'd thrive here given the climate, space, and food sources. We might lose a cow or two, but isn't that worth supporting an endangered species? If the species does well, it'll take care of our mountain lion problem and eventually we can hunt them.
loosing a cow or two isn't any big deal, it's happening south of Mandan on a daily basis.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't it be fun if Bison still ran wild?
They do on the rez. Well at least in a big ass fence. Let's cut the fence and remove the captured.

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't it be fun if Bison still ran wild?
They do on the rez. Well at least in a big ass fence. Let's cut the fence and remove the captured.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do believe turkeys were not native to the northern plains either. Although they are a north American bird they were introduced further north and west by man. I could be wrong but I remember watching or reading something about this years ago.

Pisses me off to no end The one we do not hunt but has more pull on the river system shutting down sandbar access that is non native is the piping plover.;:;banghead:;:deadhorse

Where are you gathering that they are non-native? Simply curious.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you gathering that they are non-native? Simply curious.

The turkeys or the plovers?

Turkeys is a recollection from the past seeing a documentary or reading something about it but it was a long time ago so details could be sketchy.:confused:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of pigs the Game and Fish doesn't want them in the state, but it's illegal to shoot them. That doesn't sound to bright. They say someone could shoot a farmers pig. In the middle of the badlands?

A read another reason was that they thought hunters would spook and educate the herd.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just rereading the Lewis and Clark journals and they mentioned seeing turkeys along the Missouri north of St. Louis a couple of months after starting their journey. They were also running into grizzlies and mountain sheep already in Nebraska and South Dakota. They were shooting black bear and elk nearly from the day they left St. Louis and deer were so numerous they usually shot about half a dozen each day to feed the men. Read somewhere that the men had to eat 4-5 lbs. of meat each day because of the strenuous exercise and lack of carbs in their diet. Their first encounters with grizzlies were funny to read because they had never encountered animals as tough and dangerous. Their old muzzle loaders just pissed off the bears and they ended up running for their lives even after the bears had 5-10 lead balls in them. Lewis ended up having to jump off a river embankment into the water to get away from one he shot. They called them 'white' bears. I'm guessing those were what we call 'silver tips'. The Indians didn't mess with grizzlies either because their stone tipped arrows were nearly worthless against the bears. It's interesting to read that Lewis and Clark mentioned numerous French settlements along the Missouri well north of St. Louis. Sounds like the French had been exploring the Missouri for many years before the Americans knew it existed.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in my prime of interest in fish farming when Schaffer brought Zander to ND, Gotta admit I'm a little disappointed.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in my prime of interest in fish farming when Schaffer brought Zander to ND, Gotta admit I'm a little disappointed.
It was Commissioner Dale Henegar that brought Zander to Nodak as well as Rainbow smelt, Tulibee's, Chinook Salmon, Lake trout. There are a few other fish that are exotics including all the trout, rainbow,browns, and cutthroat. Plus Common Carp, White bass, Striped Bass ( were in Devils lake for a while), Muskellunge, Tiger Muskie.
Gov. Schaffer had a Talipia farm up by Beulah before he ran for governor.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass not native either...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51