String Trimmers

Nanky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Battery operated all the way (depending on yard size). For me I can easily do around all the edging, fence (inside and out), and anything else I need and not have to worry about mixing gas & oil.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our neighbor was complaining about his string trimmer hurting his trees and flowers. Told him he doesn't have to run it wide open to trim the grass. Just give it a little throttle. He just shook his head after trying it said he thought you had to run it wide open to work. ;:;rofl

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Id go with electric unless you need gas for some reason... in town/average yard = electric out of town, want to run other attachments, large yard or heavy trimming = gas I have one of the stihl combi trimmers with blower attachment and chainsaw and sickle grass cutter and its a beast, but kinda heavy and loud.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nobody needs gas anymore unless you’re using metal blades to cut brush. I have a 5 acre yard with tons of trimming and I’ve never used a full battery and mine came with two. Just get a reliable brand like Core or Dewalt in the 60 flex volt. I’ve had a Core for 4 years and it’ll cut light brush, heavy weeds or whatever you need.

limit2winit

Established Member
I bought a 60v Dewalt flexvolt Chainsaw this spring with a 9 amp hr battery, and was in the same boat. trimmer was on the fritz so I ended up buying the 20v flex volt trimmer. works slick as they use the same battery, the 9 amp hour battery lasts forever in the 20v trimmer. happier than i thought id be with both trimmer and chainsaw

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
This tread got me thinking. I just went to Acme and looked at dewalt trimmers. I have 20V dewalt tools at home and also use the drill on my K-drill. Was looking at the 20v trimmer but am on the fence if it will be enough for my 3 acres. I actually dont have a ton of stuff to trim around so I think it would be just fine but it is nice to have the extra power on the occasional time I need to get in the thick stuff. The sales guy shows me the dewalt 60 v trimmer and explains how I can use that big 60v battery in any of my 20v tools. So now I am considering going that route so I can use the 60v batt on my k-drill. Anybody use any of these tools? Also am considering the dewalt blower and hedge trimmer as well. The 20v stuff is all quite a bit cheaper than the 60v. is it worth it?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought the new Dewalt 20V last week with the 5A battery. I have a load of other dewalt stuff and extra batteries so it was easy to decide. I tested it on some serious tough/tall (3+foot) grass along our hayground fence. I held it wide open the entire time as I wanted to see truly how long the battery would last. 25 minutes is what she gave me. Took right about 50 minutes for a recharge. It's def an awesome machine but it is not light by any means. 25 minutes of continuous trimming gets a lot of stuff cut down though. For guys with "regular" sized yards it would be more than enough, and then some. For $179.99 I would buy it again in a heartbeat. The lighter Dewalt batteries I had off my handheld tools did not do as well, bigger one lasted around 12-13 minutes and the small thin one lasted about 5 minutes total.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get that kind of performance out of the 20v that would be more than enough for my yard. by thinner batts do you mena like 3 amp? The only thing I need to decide then is if I want to jump up to the 60v so I can use that batt for icefishing. Could always buy just the batt for fishing I suppose but if I have the 60v batt I might as well have the bigger trimmer...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Acme also has 15% off right now thinking of going to pick up the Dewalt 60v trimmer. I know this is a trimmer thread but anybody use a cordless chainsaw I see Dewalt has 60v chainsaw too.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know you bought your trimmer already but i've got a Stihl FS 55, going on 7 years now. Had to do my first bit of maintenance this spring.. new spark plug. Uses the orange 0.095 gauge line so better against walls, rocks, fencing, etc. no regrets buying it back then for $200.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get that kind of performance out of the 20v that would be more than enough for my yard. by thinner batts do you mena like 3 amp? The only thing I need to decide then is if I want to jump up to the 60v so I can use that batt for icefishing. Could always buy just the batt for fishing I suppose but if I have the 60v batt I might as well have the bigger trimmer...

If they would have had a 60v in stock I probably would have bought it. I have a lot of grass to trim and the 20v does that job just fine and then some, so either way I'm happy. For the extra $50-$70 though, the 60V looks and sounds like a solid upgrade. And by "thinner" batteries yes, the smaller 3 amp ones, which I think are the ones that came with the cordless drills, circular saw etc. My tools came as a package with 5-6 tools total and 2 batteries. The package is about 3 years old. I think most of the new packages probably have the 4 amp batteries or at least the option for it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31