Tailrace trout

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fickle is a good descriptor. That’s awesome to hear, I might have to forget the flourocarbon at that rate. Were you the guy with the plan to petition for a trout stream by the Tailrace in a older post? I would be all for that, probably could rally enough support among the fly/trout/fishermen in general to make it a possibility. Went to the orvis fly fishing film festival in Bismarck this year, was surprised with the amount of guys that showed up…they seem like the type of dudes that would be about supporting creating a trout stream with actual spawning abilities, of course with approval/running by Game & Fish.
Oh; "petition" is a strong word...I was just spitballing.

Last edited:

77Talladega

Oh, "petition" is a strong word...I was just spitballing.
Hey, was just attempting to sound semi literate lol…I do think it’s a very real possibility to create a trout stream for fishing/ successful spawning in ND. It can be done but raising support/funds and cooperation with proper governmental agencies is a must. Might take some years but would be worth it; use by sportsmen and general public would make it a state/regional attraction if successful because otherwise you have to go to Black Hills/Montana/Minnesota for that experience… check out the links below … actual man made trout stream by built Kentucky state government, second vid is a little later once the fishing opened

NodakBob

Honored Member
Back to the Carolina Rig: I've often thought of clipping an Original Rap on the end during heavy current. "Passive/aggressive" lure fishing...This color is hot for trout and walleye:

1715390945013.png
That’s how I’ve done it there with big black and silver floating rap. Caught a lot of catfish and walleye.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s how I’ve done it there with big black and silver floating rap. Caught a lot of catfish and walleye.
What is your casting distance? What is the angle of the rod? How does the rod behave in the current? How do you detect a hit? Is hook set imperative?

Rapala has greatly improved "their" hooks and chosen garbage lips especially with Shad Raps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 55