Tech schools and college ND

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Evidently the NDSU UND billboards in Minneapolis got Walz to start paying tuition. Granted not to many people are going to fall in the Married Filing Joint income of 80k. But watch out one it catches on. The lets keep help here syndrome of the 2020s and the tax and spend of that state it will change and everyone will be getting something.

ND --- population growth - yeah may few here and their --- but its dismal ---- lets face it were filling NDSU and UND schools with MN kids. It is 100% a disaster if they even lose 25% of these kids.

The key we need to start shutting down the small schools. Its important IMO to have one strong large tech school and one major college. Get rid of the duplicate adminstration. Use the buildings for what you can. And yes one hockey team, football team ...... mascot Bison of course you know me. I dont care if you call it the university of north dakota as long as it ends in Bison.

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't completely agree with everything you stated but the edumacation system needs an overhaul.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We here in Dickinson would be happy for the UND and NDSU kids to fill up our university campus.

I am in, close all that east river nonsense and move all the college kids to our beautiful side of the state, its warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, almost zero mosquitoes, there are the badlands, and very few liberals.

Lets do this.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, you are going to see less and less kids getting a college/university education. On the job, hands on experience will be king. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually we see high school education pushing more towards apprenticeships and sending kids straight to the workforce. We're already starting to see high school apprentice programs where students can earn school credit.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
We here in Dickinson would be happy for the UND and NDSU kids to fill up our university campus.

I am in, close all that east river nonsense and move all the college kids to our beautiful side of the state, its warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, almost zero mosquitoes, there are the badlands, and very few liberals.

Lets do this.
But no pheasants?? lol...rofl...

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah with online learning there is no reason to keep building all these fancy facilities. I've been saying forever that about half the states colleges need to be closed. I'm not anti-education at all and think 4 year degrees and above still have a lot of value as long as you are getting the correct one, but I think we have like 12 state run college/universities and could easy make due with half that and eliminate a ton of costs.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Evidently the NDSU UND billboards in Minneapolis got Walz to start paying tuition. Granted not to many people are going to fall in the Married Filing Joint income of 80k. But watch out one it catches on. The lets keep help here syndrome of the 2020s and the tax and spend of that state it will change and everyone will be getting something.

ND --- population growth - yeah may few here and their --- but its dismal ---- lets face it were filling NDSU and UND schools with MN kids. It is 100% a disaster if they even lose 25% of these kids.

The key we need to start shutting down the small schools. Its important IMO to have one strong large tech school and one major college. Get rid of the duplicate adminstration. Use the buildings for what you can. And yes one hockey team, football team ...... mascot Bison of course you know me. I dont care if you call it the university of north dakota as long as it ends in Bison.
IMO it is much larger than this. We need more tech colleges and fewer 4-year colleges like you suggest, but, I think the whole 4-year degree side needs to be reworked. I think if you want to have a professional degree such as accounting, engineering, etc., it should all be internship based and then professional credentialling after say.... 4 years of learning on the job. You don't need 2 years of humanities classes to be an engineer, accountant, etc.

Let these larger professional companies do like the trades do, train there own and run off the ones that suck. You want to be a lawyer, go find a firm that will allow you to intern for 5-6 years, same with accounting and engineering. Some areas may be different, like say medicine where you will need some formal schooling prior to an internship. It will also put more emphasis on student performance at the high school level.

Never understood why the taxpayers basically fund the training for another company's employees. Besides, very few college students end up working in the field they studied for. Burn the whole system down IMO.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing I would have supported Biden on was his idea of free education for those that went into a tech program. He could have gotten companies to help pay for student education with federal tax credits for companies that enrolled in a program through local tech schools. Students would sign a commitment letter stating that when completion of a 2 year degree in a trade they would work for said companies for x amount of time. Every year the demand for plumbers, electrician, welders, hvac, carpenters, mechanics, and the other blue collar workers will increase in demand when more in more boomers finally decide to hang it up.
Biden administration definitely dropped the ball when they decided to scrap that idea which I admit was actually a great idea.
Totally agree with ndwalleyes opinion you want to save America give those who want to go into a trade a free education with a guaranteed job when they graduate with a possible salaries of 75000 a year

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My kid is going to be a senior and wants to be a diesel mechanic so he went to the shop in town here got a job this summer and if he wants to stay there he will have most of his school paid for. Im not going to push but i told him thats a pretty damn good route to go. Getting out of school almost debt free with a job with good wages and what you want to do seems like a win

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here is the real deal -----

a. Spokane sends juniors and seniors to Eastern WA (the red field) during 11 and 12th grade. Yes they lose out of the HS experience --- however they spend less time at school and the cost is a lot less then High school tution.

b. Hey i dont care where you place em --- but they all have a shit load of buildings. Its gonna look just like our air bases. Lot of wasted money. The east vs west thing --- that should of been though about way back when. Its too late now.

c. you would be surprised how many companies do pay for education. Alot of govt entities do to.

d. Instead of joe paying off student loans --- those funds should of went agains tuition paid now. Not some spring break party from the 90s

e. someone already said it -- -but our education from k to post grad needs to be overhauled.

Mark my word Bismarck will be slow to act and they will be hauling cash out of rainy day fund to keep the colleges open --- when in reality that will not work. Gotta make some smart moves now.

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago the U.Of Mary had a required course of parachute and survival course for their radiology tech courses, what a waste of money that was. Didn't even have that in the Military unless you went Airborne

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Lets do this.
Don’t tell them that!!! Keep that trash out east!! Pretty soon the western part will just as fucked up as the east.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
One can argue all they want about all the smaller schools with duplicate programs, but I'm a fan of the bigger research based schools. UND last year brought in 102 million dollars by itself. That is one hell of a positive economic impact on Grand Forks and greater ND.

From someone who is even more familiar with the economics of research grade universities, even though it's dated...the message remains the same.

Why North Dakotans Win With Research Universities​

July 2011
North Dakota is fortunate to enjoy two flagship research universities, and even more fortunate given the new collaboration between them as a means to better serve our state’s interests. That said, an understandable question we occasionally hear is “what’s so important about research universities?”
There are several exciting answers to that question, beginning with the economic stimulus uniquely resulting from research universities. One of the nation’s top finance rating firms, Moody’s Investment Service, a few years ago identified the research universities as a leading economic engine of North Dakota second only to overall agriculture. The activity they cited has only increased since that study.
Our research programs bring new resources to North Dakota, most of which are funded from sources other than state general fund dollars. In other words, while based on your support, the progress and contributions of the research universities to North Dakota are in large part being funded without your tax dollars. State funds provide about a fourth of the annual budgets for the two research universities.
Second, that research funding is largely all spent in our state, bolstering the economy as even the energy industry can’t; much of the profits and salaries of the energy industry are not spent here. We note that based on National Science Foundation figures, the two research institutions now have combined annual research expenditures contributing more than $200 million a year directly to North Dakota’s economy.
You may also find it interesting that a recent economic study found for every dollar of state support it receives, the typical North Dakota research university generates almost $7 in “new” money back to our state’s economy. If you took an opportunity for a 7:1 return on investment to your banker, you’d likely be encouraged to invest everything you have in whatever that is! It perhaps goes without saying there is no other public investment opportunity for North Dakotans offering such a return. But it doesn’t stop there.
Much of the research being done at NDSU and UND results in new discoveries, which lead to new businesses, which lead to new jobs. From discoveries and resulting business start-ups at just their two associated research parks alone over the last decade, more than 1,000 new jobs have been created in North Dakota. In contrast, jobs in agriculture are declining. Simply put, university research results in a growing job market attracting more new people, as well as new and higher paying jobs, than North Dakota has ever offered in the past. Those new people are increasingly coming to North Dakota and deciding to stay, raise families, and as a result, further contribute to the state’s economy.
They aren’t the only ones coming to and staying in North Dakota. Due to their growing national and international visibility, the two research universities offer a reason for young people to move to our state. While that trend has been controversial due to misperceptions of what they pay to attend the universities, in fact out of state students at the two research universities pay more, if not substantially so, than North Dakota students. More importantly, an increasing number of graduates from the two research universities (roughly 40 percent and growing) stay in North Dakota after completing their degrees, and take their first jobs here. In a state with a declining college age population, bringing and keeping more young people here should be one of our highest possible priorities.
And finally, there are few better means to bring positive national attention to North Dakota than the success of its research universities. Recent front page coverage in the Wall Street Journal and a 36-page story in Delta Airline’s worldwide magazine are examples of media coverage resulting from the growing impact of the research universities on our escalating economy. We can’t help but also mention that the success of the two universities’ athletic programs, at the Division-I level, has resulted in unprecedented national television and media coverage like few other features of the state.
Simply put, never before have North Dakota’s two research universities been more successful, contributed more to the state’s economy, and brought more and better attention and resources to North Dakota than they are today. That’s been by the purposeful design, vision and support of civic, business and legislative leaders provided years ago through the Higher Education Roundtable. Although the full potentials and contributions of our state’s two flagship universities are yet to be fully realized, all indications are that we are on the right trajectory and we thought you’d be interested in knowing more about that.
Robert O. Kelley, President
University of North Dakota
Dean L. Bresciani, President
North Dakota State University

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen those research dollars are based on number of students too Empty 50% kids out. Y ou know what the result is. Und cut budget 1milliin less sq ft in buildings. We need more than a gester. The little schools need to go. 1 sxhool 1 team.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allen those research dollars are based on number of students too Empty 50% kids out. Y ou know what the result is. Und cut budget 1milliin less sq ft in buildings. We need more than a gester. The little schools need to go. 1 sxhool 1 team.
What? That's money brought into the state, not money from the state.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the last year and a half we have had at least a dozen high school graduates come to work for us right out of high school. Two were worth a shit. The rest were some of the dumbest young people I’ve ever been around. And these kids apparently got good grades in school. That scares the hell out of me. This country is in big trouble

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over the last year and a half we have had at least a dozen high school graduates come to work for us right out of high school. Two were worth a shit. The rest were some of the dumbest young people I’ve ever been around. And these kids apparently got good grades in school. That scares the hell out of me. This country is in big trouble
I think kids don’t have to figure stuff out on there own any more. We are always connected and a phone call away from help. They don’t know what to do when everything doesn’t go as planned . Hell most never have had to change a flat tire.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 4-year degree from NDSU was just fine for my future.

All kinds of ladies on Boardway most every night, Old Mill as an underage kid, Thursday night on airport road with my 426 1965 Plymouth. And then my wife of 52 years hustles me off Broadway with her 63 convertible Corvair.

And i did get me an education maybe not in booking learning but in life.

Fargo was great back in them days.

Now all i get when i go there driving is people hollering at me as i drive and giving me the bird. It has changed db

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88