The beast~

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was loose in north dakota~

North Dakota Ranch Hand Shoots Animal Attacking Cows, Turns out to Be Wolverine.

doah.gif
The first wolverine to be spotted in North Dakota in nearly 150 years came to an unceremonious end last month after it was shot and killed while harassing livestock. The 30-pound male wolverine was shot by a ranch hand near Alexander after it was spotted in a calving pasture on April 24. The ranch hand, Jared Hatter, said the critter was “tormenting the cows” when he found it. It is unknown whether Hatter had identified the creature as a wolverine before he shot it, or thought it was some other predatory animal.
owever, data recovered from a tracking device on the animal showed that it may have actually come from as far away as Colorado. The wolverine was fitted with the tracking device in 2008 just south of Yellowstone National Park. In 2012, when the device’s battery died, the wolverine was enjoying a stay in Colorado.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was loose in north dakota~

North Dakota Ranch Hand Shoots Animal Attacking Cows, Turns out to Be Wolverine.

doah.gif
The first wolverine to be spotted in North Dakota in nearly 150 years came to an unceremonious end last month after it was shot and killed while harassing livestock. The 30-pound male wolverine was shot by a ranch hand near Alexander after it was spotted in a calving pasture on April 24. The ranch hand, Jared Hatter, said the critter was “tormenting the cows” when he found it. It is unknown whether Hatter had identified the creature as a wolverine before he shot it, or thought it was some other predatory animal.
owever, data recovered from a tracking device on the animal showed that it may have actually come from as far away as Colorado. The wolverine was fitted with the tracking device in 2008 just south of Yellowstone National Park. In 2012, when the device’s battery died, the wolverine was enjoying a stay in Colorado.

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showt...ines!(not-college-sports)&highlight=wolverine

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
The first wolverine to be spotted in North Dakota in nearly 150 years ......................

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first wolverine to be spotted in North Dakota in nearly 150 years ......................
Yeah the maths a little funky on that one. But considering the article is a year old maybe we can divide everything by 2 and then everything lines up much better. :;:thumbsup

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like so many other creatures, they are only "spotted" once shot. Otherwise, I would suggest someone has seen one in ND over the past 150 years and it just got dumped into the "drunken misidentification" bucket at the NDGF. The NDGF has a history of being reticent to believe until a corpse is presented. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but it is my observation.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah the maths a little funky on that one. But considering the article is a year old maybe we can divide everything by 2 and then everything lines up much better. :;:thumbsup
Or it's the first confirmed one. People think they see Whooping Cranes all the time. Not.. When it comes to animal identification there is a lot of really screwy people out there. They can't simply take peoples word for it. When a fellow who worked for me called in two Whooping Cranes at Arrowwood National Wildlife Refuge they sort of give him the brush off until he told them he was a volunteer for me.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
The true beast returned from Alaska a couple months ago in the form of lionslayer.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry guyz,we're a little slow over here in blue plate country...He was'nt a very big fella,always thought they were 50-80lbs.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's a picture of two juveniles that were trapped in the Turtle Mountains last summer so I'd guess there's a good chance there is/was at least one mating pair.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen two myself. (maybe the same one twice) First one was at 50 yards in a stubble field alongside the road. watched him for over minute before he loped into a big slough. Was on the way home from a junior high football game so no guns. no cell phone. Told the oldest boy who was a skinny little 7th grade quarterback that had gotten sacked 4 or 5 times during the game to take the tire iron and go in the slough and whack it in the head. Told him once word got around those boys on the defensive line wouldn;t dare try to mess with the kid that killed a wolverine with a tire iron.

He didn;t go for it. Thought about it but then realized I was joking.

No mistaking it for anything than what it was. had a very distinctive white/cream colored v on it's chest and brown with yellowish tipped fur.

Second one was in a pasture while checking fence. This one was shorter time frame before he got into the willows but still no mistaking it. All I had was a steel fence post......so was no braver than the skinny 7th grader to tackle it.

same area a year apart. the winter in between found a deer carcass that had tracks going to it from a large tree pile that the exact same as pics of wolverine tracks. Stormed for three days and when we went back no more tracks but the deer was all but gone.

Have a friend that I trust to know see one with his brother in law standing in the ditch a couple years before that over by the Upper Souris. They called the warden and were told they are not in North Dakota...................

- - - Updated - - -

But then again I am only a simple rancher and not a "trained" biologist so......................;)

Last edited:

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
PG said,

Or it's the first confirmed one. People think they see Whooping Cranes all the time. Not.. When it comes to animal identification there is a lot of really screwy people out there. They can't simply take peoples word for it. When a fellow who worked for me called in two Whooping Cranes at Arrowwood National Wildlife Refuge they sort of give him the brush off until he told them he was a volunteer for me.

And that is when they said, "get the fuck out of here." ;)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88