The Dandelion Thread (deleted - info)

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you can get in trouble for giving advise that breaks the law? I must have an obsolete definition of advise.

I think our fearless leader did the correct action in the matter.

I do have concern that the ag sector can use chemicals that the general public cannot. I see all sorts of info on the health problems caused by modern farming techniques. This info will just play into their hands... don't seem to be able to trust anyone these days

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
So you can get in trouble for giving advise that breaks the law? I must have an obsolete definition of advise.

I think our fearless leader did the correct action in the matter.

I do have concern that the ag sector can use chemicals that the general public cannot
. I see all sorts of info on the health problems caused by modern farming techniques. This info will just play into their hands... don't seem to be able to trust anyone these days

You don't have to be a farmer. Just need to have pesticide handler training or commercial applicators license. Some of the reasons for not being available to the public are application areas. You don't want to have kids or pets running through the stuff. Some have restrictions on how long before you can re-enter the field, then there days after application before harvest. I could go on and on. County extension offices offer classes yearly and renewal classes.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to videotape myself using weed killer in ways described earlier, post it on here, and then wait for the feds to kick down my door and haul me away in cuffs....man what a douche nozzle.

These are the types of self important tools that take time out of their day to call the police requesting an investigation on a driver that didn't use their blinker while changing lanes in front of him.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to mention the safety aspect. It's a million times better that even what it was in the 70 & 80's. I remember my dad coming in from spraying with a open cab spray coupe. He'd be stained red or yellow down his back depending on if he was spraying wheat or beans. Now sprayer cabs have special air filters and the filters are available for tractors as well. Person Protection Equipment is a huge thing when it wasn't before. Most times you were lucky just to have clean water available in case you got splashed. Containers are triple rinsed and sometimes even returned. There's a lot more than just what the casual observer sees or even knows about.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had been on the farm using spray for a few years before I decided to take the commercial applicators test , I was humbled when I found out how much important information I didn't know.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm going to videotape myself using weed killer in ways described earlier, post it on here, and then wait for the feds to kick down my door and haul me away in cuffs....man what a douche nozzle.

These are the types of self important tools that take time out of their day to call the police requesting an investigation on a driver that didn't use their blinker while changing lanes in front of him.

You sure are worked up. You need to take a step back and ask "What would Jesus do?"

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if many know this, but some city web sites let you calculate square footage using GIS info and satellite photos. Fargo's included. Pretty handy for figuring out how much to buy, how much to load up for different sections, yadda.

Here's one section I plan to spray a little differently than the "back forty" due to galwhofishes' concerns about certain weeds.

NW yard.jpg

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would suggest you apply it a bit closer to the ground to avoid aerial drift.

Odin

Founding Member
Founding Member
When will bammy be prosecuted for telling illegal aliens to come on over to the US?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to mention the safety aspect. It's a million times better that even what it was in the 70 & 80's. I remember my dad coming in from spraying with a open cab spray coupe. He'd be stained red or yellow down his back depending on if he was spraying wheat or beans. Now sprayer cabs have special air filters and the filters are available for tractors as well. Person Protection Equipment is a huge thing when it wasn't before. Most times you were lucky just to have clean water available in case you got splashed. Containers are triple rinsed and sometimes even returned. There's a lot more than just what the casual observer sees or even knows about.

I don't recall which exact sprays they were using, but I know of at least two farmers who spent some time in a hospital because of acute exposure to herbicides after not paying better attention to personal protection. Separate incidents.

We spray stuff with bug killers all the time without considering how harmful they can be to people. Just a quick piece of history, the most lethal of chemical weapons (nerve agents) were originally developed by Germany as pesticides. The Germans didn't fully understand their lethal effect on humans until they sprayed some fields with concentration camp workers in them. Ooops! Back when I was in the Corps and went through live chemical agent training, I had to wear a bracelet labeling me as an organophosphate worker, just in case I tipped over while out partying. Fun times!

Last edited:

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't recall which exact sprays they were using, but I know of at least two farmers who spent some time in a hospital because of acute exposure to herbicides after not paying better attention to personal protection. Separate incidents.

We spray stuff with bug killers all the time without considering how harmful they can be to people. Just a quick piece of history, the most lethal of chemical weapons (nerve agents) were originally developed by Germany as pesticides. The Germans didn't fully understand their lethal effect on humans until they sprayed some fields with concentration camp workers in them. Ooops! Back when I was in the Corps and went through live chemical agent training, I had to wear a bracelet labeling me as an organophosphate worker, just in case I tipped over while out partying. Fun times!

Yeah, there's some nasty stuff out there. Even some of the more common stuff is bad. Been buzzed by having a drop of Eptam blown in my face once. Another time it was Ben's mosquito repellent. Was wiping some on my face and grazed the corner of my mouth. Dizzy and numb face for about half and hour.

To make things worse, they have a "reportable quantity" rule. It states how much of a specific product can be spilled before reporting it. Well, guess what the chemical manufactures did. They concentrated it and put it in smaller packaging.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing the guy is a member, or at least a visitor of the site, saw a thread that was in his line of work, began to read through it. He then made a decision to email V and let him know some of the advice was not good advice. Where he failed is his talking tough, and trying to be the big deal he likely is not.

I personally hate confrontation and would have done exactly what V did. No sense in pushing things to the next level. Sometimes these little weenies can get rather riled up and make a big deal out of nothing.

Maybe someone one gave him a bad rep point! :)

- - - Updated - - -

The Dept of Ag has decided to crack down a bit. It was mentioned in our certification class this spring. If I remember right there is some Federal monies tied to a grant for increased survelience and enforcement.

Not a bad deal as long as you have the right people with a bit of common sense involved. In the ag world they are lovingly refered to as the "spray cops".

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I piss on dandelions......only with appropriate placquers and licenses of course

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Serious taxes at work here - exactly what I've paid for. Glad to hear dandelion-Isis is under control now. Thank you Dept. of Ag. Let's get those rat bastards! #thicksarcasm

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly though, can't get rid of the dang things from my yard...guess I'll start making salad to go with my Red River drum.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55