The International Space Station

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
That kind of cool good luck seeing any of that with the clouds we have going.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
First time I saw that SOB I was listening to C2C as some whackjob was explaining how you could watch space battles with Gen 3 NODs/NVD's whatever the hell the quagmire wanted me to call them. Well guess what I was doing?...Correct! It was a Tuesday night or such and I was in the boonies with the seat laid back like this "Snoop Dog" watching satellites and meteors (there's lots of meteors every night); waiting with baited breath for a good spaceship battle. After two hours of his wolverine stories I quickly determined this was a load and settled in to enjoy less fanciful celestial happenings. I was about to pack it in just before daybreak when this damn thing floated into view and literally scared the piss out of me. It was like looking at a slow camera flash. Without the NODs it looked like a really high Chi-com lantern floating toward the sunrise. I had an idea what it was and a little 'net research confirmed. I later learned you could see the Space Shuttle and Hubble Telescope in the same manner.

I was VERY disappointed when one of the last Shuttle re-entries was cancelled over ND. Went out on the deck ass-crack early for this. Denied.

FUN FACT: The ISS is 220 miles high and travels at 17,500mph. When it was over the horizon in Minot, we used to run back in the house to find it was over the Great Lakes on the NASA website. Good stuff to do with the kids.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5X28cw4QZw

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the one I always liked looking at just to see the crazy speed of it. Saw it well watching the first slivers of light hinting on the eastern horizon last year on the second day of duck season and by the time we were shooting it had crossed damn near half the world both north to south and east to west.

http://iss.astroviewer.net

Haha in the time it took me to find the link and type the post it went from Winnipeg to south east of new york! Damn 17,000 miles an hour is fast.

Last edited:

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check out the Night Sky app it will show you the position of the ISS at any time along with stars, planets, and other satellites.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I remember seeing the shuttle and iss just a few degrees apart while I was setting decoys one morning. Grabbed decoys, turned around and there they where. Took a few minutes for me to realize what I was watching

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 34