This Is What Life in North Dakota Looked Like in 1935

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey Crockett - you may know this guy or maybe your dad would, it is my dads cousin who grew up on the west side of the Turtle Mountains - Ingvald Thorhold. He always claimed that he paid for his farm with the money he made trapping. He kind of took me under his wing and taught me how to trap and always took me along when he was in the area. Remember one time when I was trapping and he was in his 80's I called and asked him if he wanted to go along in the morning to check traps, of course he did. We were driving by a hay meadow that had a mound of hay in it and he asked if I had a trap there, told him no. So we went out there told me exactly how to set the trap and said, "You'll have a fox there in the morning". Next morning when we checked, sure enough a nice red fox. He had that little "see I told you so" smile on his face all morning. He passed not to many months after that.
IMG_0368.jpg
IMG_0369-1.jpg
Not the best quality, took them with my cell phone from pictures I have on the wall!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love the line-up of "Stinkers" Trapper. You don't see that every day!!

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
my dad was born in 1935 in northwest Kansas in a sod house.

Grandma said they were worried they were going to smother him because they kept him covered with every blanket they owned to keep the dust away from him. Most of the babies born in that area died of dust pneumonia at that time.

Before Grandma passed I had purchased a cassette recorder and a bunch of tapes and she put the stories from her life down on cassette tape. I need to get them transferred to digital files.

I actually have a neat add-on installed in one of my computers that is a cassette player/recorder. You put the cassette in, start the software and the computer digitally records the sound as the cassette plays. I used it to rerecord many of my music cassettes on to the computer as MP3 files then burned them to CDs. That way I didn't have to repurchase all the music I already owned just so I could play them in my CD player.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love the line-up of "Stinkers" Trapper. You don't see that every day!!

Not anymore, in the early 1900's they were marketed in the fur industry as "American Sable". The price for skunk went crazy as everyone wanted the "luxurious" sable fur coats. When people found out that sable was just skunk the market pretty much crashed.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not anymore, in the early 1900's they were marketed in the fur industry as "American Sable". The price for skunk went crazy as everyone wanted the "luxurious" sable fur coats. When people found out that sable was just skunk the market pretty much crashed.

haha, sounds like our current government.

Great pics, thanks for posting

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool stuff, even in tough times now, we have it pretty good. My wife's parents came from Finland to Ohio, my father in law's dad worked as a coal miner, would work a shift at one mine, walk a few miles to another and work a 2nd shift then walked home, got a few hours sleep and did it all again and farmed with the help of his 6 boys and 3 daughters. I have no idea how he even had the energy to procreate. Osmosis maybe.

nodakex

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davy Crocket, that's not that much of a hill either, Trapper, Ingvald and Otto did a lot of trapping and hunting out that way, did Ingvald ever show you his Winchester collection?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Great Pictures Trapper. All the old timers over this way knew the Tohols and spoke highly of them, They are good people. I just looked , Ingvald was born in 1917 so he would be 3 years older than my Mom , He farmed hunted and trapped and spent his money wisely . When he was in his 70s he joined the gun club and every Tuesday night after shooting targets a handful of us would sit around and shoot the breeze. It was always fun to hear ingvald tell stories. If you know who Moe is, you can about imagine how comical it would get at times with him pumping Ingvald to get him to talk and tell stories. We kept Ingvald up way past his bedtime on many a cold winter night listening to his stories and he loved every minute of it.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davy Crocket, that's not that much of a hill either, Trapper, Ingvald and Otto did a lot of trapping and hunting out that way, did Ingvald ever show you his Winchester collection?

Yep, I spent quite a bit of time over there, he gave quite a few traps and one rifle, I also bought 2 of his guns at the auction after he had passed.

- - - Updated - - -

Great Pictures Trapper. All the old timers over this way knew the Tohols and spoke highly of them, They are good people. I just looked , Ingvald was born in 1917 so he would be 3 years older than my Mom , He farmed hunted and trapped and spent his money wisely . When he was in his 70s he joined the gun club and every Tuesday night after shooting targets a handful of us would sit around and shoot the breeze. It was always fun to hear ingvald tell stories. If you know who Moe is, you can about imagine how comical it would get at times with him pumping Ingvald to get him to talk and tell stories. We kept Ingvald up way past his bedtime on many a cold winter night listening to his stories and he loved every minute of it.

Yep pretty good people unless you piss'em off, they didn't forget very easily. He always took pride in his shooting, don't know how many time he pointed to his blond bear rug and showed where he hit and it was on the run when he shot! Yep I know Moe real well!

- - - Updated - - -

This is Ingvold, and Otto
IMG_0370.jpg
All three brothers, Ingvold, Otto , and Christ (pronounced Chris with a Norwiegen (sp) brog!
IMG_0371.jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha Since we are telling Ingvald stories , The first time he came to the gun club he walked in with a high quality Anschutz 22 that he had for years, The story about O. Magnuson and how Ingvald got the Anschutz is long otherwise I would share. During Ingvald's first match he wasn't aware that you are supposed to remain quiet for the other shooters, He was finished shooting and evidently looking at my target through his scope , I had a good string going and My last few shots were getting harder so I had set the gun down a couple of times and I picked it back up and finally got a shot off that found the mark and all of a sudden I hear a loud voice say, Peeuurrrfect . I instantly got the giggles and it took me forever to regain my concentration , Just about the time I had a good hold I would giggle again. I still get a good laugh about that. You gotta know Ingvald and his Norwegian accent to appreciate the story.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My grandfather and his brothers used to hunt skunks too. They'd pull em out of holes and club them. They said they got used to the smell after awhile. Yeesh....;:;barf

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bumpity Bump! Been meaning to post to this thread for awhile. I hope more pics get posted. Love looking at old photos. Jamey Johnsons song "in color" is one of my favorite songs. Can't imagine what these folks went through just to live another day. Pictures really are worth a thousand words. The following are a few of my favorite photos from a book called "Prairie Trails to Hi Ways". It is about all of the families that homesteaded in Burleigh County. Not sure of other counties have done something similar, but it really is a great book. Enjoy.

IMG_1560.jpg
IMG_1562.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg
IMG_1566.jpg

IMG_1568.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg
IMG_1563.jpg
IMG_1565.jpg
IMG_1567.jpg
IMG_1569.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg
IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1596.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg
- - - Updated - - -

Sigh....sorry for the flipped photos. Not sure how to fix that. Damn it.

Last edited:

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks, It was taken about 100 feet from where I am sitting , I grew up in the house in the background . It still stands.

That right there is a testament to the people and work ethic back then. The buildings that were built by my grandpa still stand to this day. How many houses and buildings built now will still be up in 100 years?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.ghostsofnorthdakota.com

Above site has pics of lots of small towns in ND that have been abandoned. Click on one of the towns in the list and then click on the pic that appears. That will open an album of all of the pics of that town.

Below is a pic of the 1935 Westhope Baseball team. My father, Milo Lodoen, and 3 of his brothers are on the pic.

1935 Westhope BB team.jpg
1935 WESTHOPE BASEBALL TEAM
Back row L to R: Glen Walker, B Talcott, Milo Lodoen, Clarence Lodoen, Arthur Lodoen, Carl Christenson, Oscar Talcott, Bob Baumann, Wes Strand, Art Helgerson, Al Baumann

Front row L to R: Kenneth Helgerson, Oscar Lodoen, George Ballantyne, Pinky Walker, Manager George Sandy, Charles Schroder, Bat Boy Duane Williams

Here's another pic of Dad and his brothers. Not sure of the year.

img044.jpg
Art, Oscar, Clarence, Milo Lodoen

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 42