This Weekend - Plans

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just got back from a week in Wisconsin. Good news is I brought my grand daughter home with me so I have a week to get any sconi out of her and reacquaint her with ND values and logic. Logic seems to be in short supply in sconiland. Got good cheese and beer, however.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drink some keystone light, maybe attempt something on the smoker while enjoying keystone light, work on house projects and savor a keystone light, get some things ready for a trip to Frisco and taste test a keystone light, make some adjustment to ice gear for when I get back and verify taste test of keystone light.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you other guys left bowhunting sitting in a tree yet? Or has everyone resorted to blinds? I'll be 25' up tomorrow!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Went to Audubon...3 Mile this morning...trucks/wheelhouses out on the ice...used the spud as I walked out...not sure why! Drilled the first hole...15 inches! Fishing was slow, lost one at the hole in the ducer but pretty slow bite this morning. Anyway, ice pretty solid on NE bays at Audubon.

Lazerwolf77

Went to Audubon...3 Mile this morning...trucks/wheelhouses out on the ice...used the spud as I walked out...not sure why! Drilled the first hole...15 inches! Fishing was slow, lost one at the hole in the ducer but pretty slow bite this morning. Anyway, ice pretty solid on NE bays at Audubon.
Finfan I'm thinking about heading there later this week was there any open water or was everything locked up ? I will probably use the wheeler but I've never been there and don't know if there is anything I should keep an eye out for any tips would be appreciated

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any of you other guys left bowhunting sitting in a tree yet? Or has everyone resorted to blinds? I'll be 25' up tomorrow!
I've sat in the tree stand if it's not too windy or below zero. I prefer a tree stand for visibility but gonna be too damn cold in a tree for me this weekend.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^Lazer...would probably avoid the main lake body for another week or 2...north bays and south bays seem to be solid. I did not see any open water but I was back in the NE bay area...couldn't see the main lake body. Study a contour map and look for the transitions...drill as you go...good luck!

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've sat in the tree stand if it's not too windy or below zero. I prefer a tree stand for visibility but gonna be too damn cold in a tree for me this weekend.

You better have some kind of bag system or you won't be sitting long. I had my iwom on and i was fine this afternoon. Sat for 4.5 hours and the deer were really out and out early. Could have tipped over a dozen does and 9 bucks, fun evening! Just hope one of the big guys decides to cooperate soon or one of these 135-145 are gonna get it soon. If I can still shoot, it's Alberta cold now. Speaking of the great white North. I'll be headed north wolf hunting soon. My buddies trapped two yesterday and a coyote. You don't realize how damn big they are until you lay a coyote beside em!
IMG_20171228_201810.jpg

Jensen

Planning on going to Hiddenwood tomorrow morning to check out the ice and try my luck. Stopped there last weekend and the average ice thickness was 7 inches but I did see 2 areas of open water. Curious to see how thick the ice got with this cold snap we had all week. Sunday I plan on hitting up either Lunds Landing, Lewis and Clark, or possibly Moe's. Gunna be a cold one...tight lines!

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sat in the stand tonight and smacked a doe. It really wasn't bad except for my fingers. I switched to a hand release this year and turns out they turn into a effing iceicle. Fingers got a bit numb, but pleased to be tagged out that's for sure! Going to be very cold the rest of the weekend. Be safe out there fellas

Last edited:

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy and I have the permanent set up on Chain lake. Nice brisk morning to get camp set up. Got a couple in the bucket and lost a couple. First time here so hopefully we can get into them over the weekend.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watching all Star Wars related movies in order. Started this morning with episode 1, just put in Rogue One. Gonna watch the new one tomorrow in the theater.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
passed on going hunting for ditch parrots... way to cold! Instead I brought my tackle boxes in from the garage and reorganized. Summer, winter, clipped off excess line, knots, etc from jigs, snaps, lures, swivels that I FORGOT to do at the time. finger nail clippers are a wonderful thing! damn we need warmer weather though!!!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spent today in the Fargo Dome watching my kids wrestle. Tomorrow I might have to hit the ice and see what’s happening.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finfan I'm thinking about heading there later this week was there any open water or was everything locked up ? I will probably use the wheeler but I've never been there and don't know if there is anything I should keep an eye out for any tips would be appreciated

She’s locked up solid. Even the main basin will have trucks all over it by New Year’s Day.

nybs

Honored Member
All sorts of cold on the big lake. Only one snowmobile started, then couldn’t get it going again. Used the 4wheeler to get on the ice and then had to pull start it after 1.5 hours on ice. To top that off, broke the part on my new Milwaukee where the impact handle attaches...and only caught 2 dinks. Nice to get out, hoping for better luck tomorrow. Ice was over 12” in the bay.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All sorts of cold on the big lake. Only one snowmobile started, then couldn’t get it going again. Used the 4wheeler to get on the ice and then had to pull start it after 1.5 hours on ice. To top that off, broke the part on my new Milwaukee where the impact handle attaches...and only caught 2 dinks. Nice to get out, hoping for better luck tomorrow. Ice was over 12” in the bay.

Stories like the above are the reason I quit hunting/fishing when it's -10F and colder ambient temps. Stuff either doesn't work, quits working, and/or breaks if you do get it working.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 98
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33