Time for a Hub Shelter

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Twinions are nearly 5 and like to ice fish! I have a Clam Voyager I love. However, loading and unloading the house by myself and loading car seats in the pickup is a pain. So I'm looking for a Hub Shelter that I can load in the VAN (Vehicle of Angry Ninjas) and hike out with. Any suggestions?

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The Twinions are nearly 5 and like to ice fish! I have a Clam Voyager I love. However, loading and unloading the house by myself and loading car seats in the pickup is a pain. So I'm looking for a Hub Shelter that I can load in the VAN (Vehicle of Angry Ninjas) and hike out with. Any suggestions?
I have had clam and otter ones. Make sure to get an insulated one. Depending how much room you want will determine how big and heavy the house is.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tough to beat the Eskimo 949i in my opinion. Have not fished out of the others but like the Eskimo

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insulated is a must. I had all clam (one man flip, two man flip, and a large hub) and have traded all three for the equivalent sized otters. My vote is otter but I also wouldn't be afraid of eskimo. Eskimo came out with a new door design which looks awesome if you're a big guy like myself. Also, hub houses are like gun safes, take the capacity they claim and cut it in half.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Eskimo 3I. I've used it twice with my 6 year old and it works fine for just the two of us. I am wishing I would've gone with the Fatfish, 5I, or 650. I have already learned that having more room would be a plus.

Side note: If anyone is looking to downsize, I am willing to trade my 3I for a bigger hub.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Clam Refuge (insulated/thermal) I'd be willing to part ways with. It fishes me and two kids pretty easy. I'm looking to upgrade to the 5 sided Clam, rather than the refuge.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Clam Bigfoot, very nice but pard has the Eskimo 949i. I like his better, it is lighter inside. They also had come out with a oversized carry bag which is very easy to get the house in. That was the reason I went with Clam at the time is for the bigger carry bag.
They can be a PITA to set up in the wind, so beware. Couple "young ones" may not be a lot of assistance.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve recommended the Eskimo 949i in the past, but I just had to take mine to my tarp repair guy to fix some of the ground corners. A pole wore a hole through the fabric. 2 others are going to become an issue in the near future so I’m having them addressed now. It’s been bulletproof otherwise.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
As stated, insulated is a must. Do yourself a favor before purchasing. Take a chair similar to what you use and try it out. Make sure you would be able to see your tip ups and/or kids without having to stand up. Mine is a "Gander Mountain" brand. I love it except for the windows positioned too high.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I have had an insulated eskimo for years and like it, if you plan to ever try spearing make sure it has a dark interior. A little trick for setting up in wind by yourself-start by putting an ice anchor in the ice and then put a good rope or ratchet strap from the ice anchor to one side of the house, then pop it up.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve recommended the Eskimo 949i in the past, but I just had to take mine to my tarp repair guy to fix some of the ground corners. A pole wore a hole through the fabric. 2 others are going to become an issue in the near future so I’m having them addressed now. It’s been bulletproof otherwise.

It’s been bulletproof other than the holes....

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eskimo had a new one out with a tall door that looked cool but for the twice a year I use mine I will the with the 949i

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For bulletproof hubs do they use Kevlar? asking for the kid next door

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was just checking out the new Otter hubs. I'm really liking them.
Otter has some nice features and is over engineered like the rest of their products. Their bag is also oversized and easy to use unlike some eskimos.

I would go with the refuge unless you fish alone in the wind. I have their biggest 4 side so I don’t need to struggle putting it up in the wind alone. Still small enough to strap on the four wheeler for lake Winnipeg adventures.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have had an insulated eskimo for years and like it, if you plan to ever try spearing make sure it has a dark interior. A little trick for setting up in wind by yourself-start by putting an ice anchor in the ice and then put a good rope or ratchet strap from the ice anchor to one side of the house, then pop it up.

Second the anchor comment here. It's not worth the crazy ND wind picking up instantly and sending your shelter over your head and wreaking havoc in the process (lessons learned). I always put that anchor in, attach my strap (the refuge comes with them installed), and position the house down wind.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s been bulletproof other than the holes....

Just on the corners. It can withstand a Ma Deuce otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

For bulletproof hubs do they use Kevlar? asking for the kid next door

Only if you have the special edition hubs. The ice pirates are no joke around here. It’s the Wild West.

Last edited:

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an otter and doors are a bitch zip shut --- this morning i am drying all my stuff too. pros and cons --- i like the room of the otter hub -- -i hate the next day drying every frickin piece of equipment off. Plus when were not driving on - it takes another sled to haul itself out. If its just me and wife - easier with the yukon.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input! I went with the Eskimo outbreak. The idea of not tripping getting in and out if the ice house for the Twinions seemed like the way to go.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 229
  • This month: 197
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 65