Trim Tabs

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Howdy boys, anyone else ready for open water? I know I am. Any who I am planning on adding trim tabs to my boat this spring. I am almost positive that I am going to get the Lenco standard kit that are 9"x12". I run a 21ft glass boat. I believe this is what is on most walleye boats now a days. Anyone have any other suggestions, info, where to purchase, best price? I am thinking I am going to order them online.

Last edited by a moderator:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lenco with the joy stick is a great product. The only issue is the pin in the tab does not have rolled ends and will work its way out. If you have issues the company is great to deal with.

This years boat is going to have them. They make a crappy boat manageable (1 mfg puts them on at factory), a decent boat good, and a good boat becomes great.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lenco with the joy stick is a great product. The only issue is the pin in the tab does not have rolled ends and will work its way out. If you have issues the company is great to deal with.

This years boat is going to have them. They make a crappy boat manageable (1 mfg puts them on at factory), a decent boat good, and a good boat becomes great.

Warriors are a crappy boat?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
what a shame, you buy a 70K plus boat and need to have trim tabs to make the damn thing work right #$%^&>

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It more of a way to change how the hull attacks the waves. It is alot easier adjust a trim tab vs moving weight in a boat to adjust to wind and wave direction.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Warriors are a crappy boat?

I have owned one.

- - - Updated - - -

It more of a way to change how the hull attacks the waves. It is alot easier adjust a trim tab vs moving weight in a boat to adjust to wind and wave direction.

They are best appreciated when quartering waves IMHO. Slower on plane speed, adjusting for the oversized buddy, and quicker on plane times with heavy load among other benefits.

I don't think there is really a bad brand out there from my investigation and personal experience. Most can be had as a complete kit for about 1k (joystick or dual button controls). There are some really high tech models that are more of a scissor than a plate that have built in GPS to auto adjust for the attitude of the boat that are much quicker to respond then the plate style; but they will set you back mid 2k range.

Last edited:

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am considering installing them also. For the 2 reasons Aaron stated, quartering across the waves and adjusting for your buddies. Alot of my fishing is with 3 of us on board.

Watched a couple of YouTube videos and I think I could install them myself.;:;badidea

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a couple videos on them... I guess I’m scratching my head as to what they actually do. One video I watched the guy gained 1 mph in his speed and his boat porpoised a little less. In my experience good boats don’t porpoise.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Biggest reason I want them is when the waves are 3ft or bigger you can put the trims down just enough to keep some down pressure on the bow so when you want to go over 35 or 40 you don't get the pounding. Also like mentioned earlier when quartering into big waves it would be nice to put 1 side down and not pound the waves. I have been in every top 6 glass boat brand and they all pound waves when you turn the speed up in larger waves. So the people saying get a better boat does not hold water. Trim Tabs make a boat perform to its fullest. I have experienced it in friends boats.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't the tracker ranger aka nitro aka as the best come with them ? Why don't the rest?

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
Doesn't the tracker ranger aka nitro aka as the best come with them ? Why don't the rest?

Ranger doesn't. Shape of transom does not allow for them to be installed. I have heard they are planning transom changes to allow for them.

- - - Updated - - -

I watched a couple videos on them... I guess I’m scratching my head as to what they actually do. One video I watched the guy gained 1 mph in his speed and his boat porpoised a little less. In my experience good boats don’t porpoise.

You are correct. A proper hull should not look like a dolphin running across a calm lake a mid range or WOT. As I stated prior, tabs can make a crappy boat managable.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
After riding in a few boats with them if I was ever to buy a boat again it would not be with out trim tabs

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 53
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31