Trolling Motor Battery Replacement -- 1 vs. 2

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Two questions:

When replacing batteries on a 24V system, should you always replace both batteries even if one is still good?

I looked back on some older threads about batteries. Are people still happy with the Crown batteries? Current batteries are Interstate. I typically never get more than 5 years on these.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always replace both, your batteries will only be as good as your worst one otherwise. I get 5 years out of Interstates and would not go with anything else. 5 years is great for a deep cycle

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would replace both as well. I bought 2 exides from Menards last year because of the following info I put together. Note the last column:

Attachments

Pic2.jpg
Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always replace both. Like a chain, only as strong as its weakest link.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both need replacement IMO/IME.

I prefer Fleet Farm's AGM batteries.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I would replace both as well. I bought 2 exides from Menards last year because of the following info I put together. Note the last column:

Does Menards still carry the Exides? The last time I was in there it seemed like they switched to a different no name brand.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does Menards still carry the Exides? The last time I was in there it seemed like they switched to a different no name brand.

I got mine last year in Bismarck but I did a quick online search and it looks like they still carry Exides.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Occasionally, sams club has the Duracell marine deep cycle's on sale for a hell of a good price...if you watch for the sale, you can get the group 31's for $75/ea. Good reserve capacitcy, on par or slightly better than the interstate, and if I understand from my research they're made by Deka. Hell, even if you have to replace them every 2-3 years, that's damn near half the price of the interstates.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
I ended up going with the Series 29 Interstate batteries. With the extra 10# per battery, I have a feeling the Lund is going to continue being one of the slower boats on the water!

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had very good luck with the Duracell‘s from batteries and bulbs in Minot. They check the battery juice right in front of you. Also if you go online you’ll get 10% off, and they’ll have it ready when you get there.

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Damn, I guess that's the price I pay for waiting until last minute. I never even checked B&B here in Bismarck. Looks like I could have saved around $60 by going with the Duracell.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had very good luck with the Duracell‘s from batteries and bulbs in Minot. They check the battery juice right in front of you. Also if you go online you’ll get 10% off, and they’ll have it ready when you get there.

Watch the date on those --- fargo they have old inventory. Walmart -fresh

replace both --- go with the largest your holder will take. Be sure to charge after use. Starting motor battery is the most important imo

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s why I quit going to Walmart here LOL. The ones I have seen here been near brand new at B&B

Coldfront

Established Member
I went to our local truck dealer and picked up 3 group 31's (36volt) AGM battery. Pros; I can go just about 2 weekends without charge. Never any acid build up. Cons; They are heavy and expensive. I had put these batteries in my Skeeter in 2014, took them out and put them in my new Skeeter in 2016. They will start the fifth year in June.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I typically get 6 years out my Interstate batteries. At $125 a crack I don't think that's too bad.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 174
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 56