Trolling Speed vs. Depth

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wednesday night I was pulling spinners and cranks in depths up to 30 fow. I don't typically fish that deep, but was following the bait fish/marks. Anyway, started wondering if trolling speed should be adjusted for depth? Do fish "chase" at a slower speed in deeper water...does it even make a difference? If I typically pull spinners in 10 fow at 1.2 mph am I good running that speed at 30 fow? Guess I can partially answer my own question by how many times I'm getting bit in 30 fow at that same speed...which the other night was zero! Anyway...was just curious...thanks!

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think speeds can vary at any depth to trigger strikes. As long as your baits are staying in the strike zone, depending on if you are fishing for suspended fish or bottom fish then you should be good. Sometimes fish want it fast and sometimes slower. I would just experiment with different speeds to see what they want on that day.

As an example, I used to pull cranks in the summer around 2mph and wasn't having much luck. My thick skull couldn't wrap itself around going much faster. Now I pull cranks(summer time) from 2.5-3mph and it's crazy how many more fish I am catching.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
2-2.3 on cranks -- (thats what my etec idles at) --- spinners i like that 1mph -- just so i can feel the bottom.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
H82...good point. Wednesday night trolling with the big motor, couldn't get speed below about 2.8...from now on will let out more line and go for it!

Watchyourownbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
When pulling spinners that deep did you use a bigger bottom bouncer or whatever weight you were using? The rule of thumb for bouncers is 1 oz of weight for every 10' of depth. Your 1-1.2 mph speed should be just fine in that depth if you are making contact with bottom. Cranks are a whole different animal, speed will influence your depth to a point on certain baits but the correct amount of line behind you is the biggest factor. Good luck!!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
When pulling spinners that deep did you use a bigger bottom bouncer or whatever weight you were using? The rule of thumb for bouncers is 1 oz of weight for every 10' of depth. Your 1-1.2 mph speed should be just fine in that depth if you are making contact with bottom. Cranks are a whole different animal, speed will influence your depth to a point on certain baits but the correct amount of line behind you is the biggest factor. Good luck!!

I was just going to say he better get some big 3 ouncers for that depth.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I pull cranks my general speed I run is 1.8-2.5. On the rare occasion I run up to 3 mph. That's usually in the summer when fish are really aggressive.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good point bobber...I was running about 15ft using a 1 oz bb when I slid out to a 30 ft flat. Too lazy to swap out for a heavier bb...lesson learned.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you think a slight change in speed up or down might help, make a few turns. The inside cranks will slow, the outside cranks will speed up and the fish may or may not prefer faster or slower.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51