Uncut Angling Barotrauma Video

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Aaron Wiebe is alive! Curious what your thoughts are on his theory of barotrauma. I hardly ever fish water over 25 feet so I don't have much experience with it first-hand.

How much of his thoughts on "science" applies to the CWD discussion? His perspective on Livescope technology is also interesting and refreshing to me.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't watch 40min. I have the same concerns about braid. Shit's coming.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't watch 40min. I have the same concerns about braid. Shit's coming.
Short story: Linders and MN DNR did a study on barotrauma on crappie. They went into the study with the assumption that fish die. Study tainted by bias. Setup of study tainted based on bias. Insert "Livescope will kill fisheries" rhetoric. 78% mortality rate based on how they conducted the study. Wiebe did his own study of crappie caught in 34+ feet and got a zero percent mortality rate as observed by releases viewed on Livescope. I see flaws in his methods as well but it definitely pokes holes in their methods and their potentially flawed message.

Obviously the Linders carry some weight when suggesting anything fishing including mortality rates of barotrauma and he is worried about their message and potential ripple effect.

"Trust but verify"....or in my case "Don't trust and verify"

Last edited:

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Very interesting video. And a lot of what Aaron said makes sense.

The angling buzz/DNR method of releasing the fish was a big cylindrical tube going straight down, and livescope/common experience shows fish needing to swim diagonally to get back to deeper water.

The Angling Buzz/DNR method also showed that a large number weren’t even releasable (wouldn’t even swim down the hole). I think this was what Aaron’s video was truly countering as there’s no way to tell if they’ll die later on.

The video also exposes how scientists and regulators often use preconceived outcomes/confirmation bias in their studies. “Trust the science”, anyone?

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very interesting video. And a lot of what Aaron said makes sense.

The angling buzz/DNR method of releasing the fish was a big cylindrical tube going straight down, and livescope/common experience shows fish needing to swim diagonally to get back to deeper water.

The Angling Buzz/DNR method also showed that a large number weren’t even releasable (wouldn’t even swim down the hole). I think this was what Aaron’s video was truly countering as there’s no way to tell if they’ll die later on.

The video also exposes how scientists and regulators often use preconceived outcomes/confirmation bias in their studies. “Trust the science”, anyone?
I think that sums up my feelings on the video.....

I'm wondering how many fishermen have tried Wiebe's method of purging the air, closing the mouth, and turning the fish around underwater to release.

I also feel similar to his thoughts on Livescope as a tool. I've had it for about a year now and truly view it as an educational tool, not a "go rape the lake" method of catching fish. I've had plenty of outings where I see fish but don't get them to bite....that's maybe when I learn the most.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back when I was the honkey poleeces I tried to get the kids to investigate without bias. It's a hard row as plainly demonstrated by the current media.

Back in the "day" reputable journalists weren't allowed to use adjectives as referenced by THIS book: I read it in Cuba:

1703741773256.png

Greenhorn

Honored Member
I wonder how walleye differ.
I’m also guessing that a fish with its swim bladder in its mouth is a hopeless cause?

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I fished a lot of deeper water on Sak this summer, along with a lot of other fisherman. I often saw people release fish even when caught in 40+ ft of water. I personally never saw a floating walleye all summer. Granted, it is a lot of water... Did anyone see much for dead/floating fish on Sak this summer considering how deep a majority of the fish were caught?

walleyewanker

There was a bunch of big Ole walleyes taken this fall in SD in 35-45' and released. Wonder how all those big girls fared

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished a lot of deeper water on Sak this summer, along with a lot of other fisherman. I often saw people release fish even when caught in 40+ ft of water. I personally never saw a floating walleye all summer. Granted, it is a lot of water... Did anyone see much for dead/floating fish on Sak this summer considering how deep a majority of the fish were caught?
Spent the summer (weekends) on McKenzie bay, caught a ton of walters, never did I see any floating either. None.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
way out west --- depths are 100 where the wallys are. Bug eyes ---- you dont practice C and R -- you clean em

Livescope -- the guy is just another paid rep meh

Crappies --- who gives a shit -- take em all --- they dont get along with walleyes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84