Uniflow Powder Measure

325 WSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was curious if anyone on here that reloads rifle ammo uses a Uniflow Powder Measure from RCBS with the IMR tube style powder. My wife bought me one & I have a terrible time getting it to throw any 2 charges the same. Is there a trick to using the tube style powder with it or is it a lost cause. Thanks for any advice.

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
They do not work well with long grain powders.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
None of the powder measures work well with long grain powder. I always throw .2 grains light and trickle charge to the desired weight. With cartridges that I shoot a lot I use ball powders when possible. I have found that the best you can hope for is within .2 grains and it works best to move the handle quickly and cut of the powder kernels. If you go slow it will stop you, and if you stop it will cause the powder to settle and always give you a heavy throw. Some of the short kernel and super short kernel throw ok, but not like a ball powder.

My new barrel 308 doesn't like Bighorn TAC, but it was perfect in my old barrel and used in some of the factory match ammo.
223 up to 60 gr bullets I found H335 to work well. It was developed by Israel to use in the M16.
22-250 I use Winchester 760
270 Winchester, I like H4831 Short Kernel, but H414 or W760 work well also
I have never had the best performance with ball powders in the larger cartridges like the 300 Win mag.

Most of the pistol powders do well in the RCBS Uniflow.

Edit: Do yourself a favor and order the micrometer for the Uniflow so you don't drive yourself nuts trying to set it.

Airwolf1972

Founding Member
Founding Member
use a SSC IMR powder and it's better..... I usually go light and trickle to weight.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 146
  • This month: 144
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51