Using leaders for cranks?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
G&F stocked a BUNCH of pike in the lake I exclusively fish the last couple of years. I am guessing last years hammer handles will be crankbait stealers this year. I am thinking about starting to use leaders. Do any of you have a preference or size? Or should I just run em the way I have and hope for the best? #$%^&>

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't run leaders with cranks, but I have heard good things about this tie-able titanium leader material. Might work for your situation. Good Luck!!

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM. I'll take a look into that for sure. I fish in your neck of the woods (Lake Ashtabula) so you might also be familiar with G&F's hearty stocking of pike the last few years. Any truth to the rumor they might stock musky?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't used the tie-able TI material yet (though I have some) but I've run VMC and Terminator titanium leaders, and just bought a bunch of Mustad that are about 1/2 the cost of the others and look to have similar quality components. I started using them last summer and saw little to no difference in success vs. trying direct sands leader.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks KDM. I'll take a look into that for sure. I fish in your neck of the woods (Lake Ashtabula) so you might also be familiar with G&F's hearty stocking of pike the last few years. Any truth to the rumor they might stock musky?

Heard some grumblings along the lines of stocking musky, but I don't know if anything is definite though. I still for the life of me DON'T understand why the NDGF still wastes time, money, and resources on pike stocking in ND. Is there a shortage of pike ANYWHERE in ND?? IMO, those assets would be better utilized on producing walleye, perch, bluegill, crappie, and just about ANY other popular fish species rather than snot rockets.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't crank much but have used leaders 50% of the time, caught just as many either way. With a 20lb powerpro line on my cranking rods, I feel confident without leaders too.

- - - Updated - - -

It's the state fish, might be part of the reasons, or the hardiness of the breed.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pitch cranks with leaders and it doesn't seem to dissuade the walleyes. Tried the titanium and couldn't figure out tying the stuff. Enslow to the rescue?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly. I didn't want to get persecuted for running down pike and the G&F for stocking that many the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind pike in the winter and spring. I keep them, clean them, and enjoy them. I curse them in the summer tho. Last summer I wondered what G&F might've done with that fishery stocking so many pike in it. It was nothing to catch 20-30 hammer handles in an afternoon of dragging cranks around. I'm guessing this year it will be a rod slamming back followed by a cut line. However, it was nice to see the amount of crappies they did stock. I've even seen some kids catching sunnies off the docks.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not "running down" pike, I like the buggars most of the time. They fight like the dickens and are pretty good on the table too. It's just that I haven't found a place with a shortage of northerns that would require stocking to maintain their populations. I'd rather see them stock bluegills and crappies in ashtabula for the kids as the walleyes and perch seem to be holding their own and doing just fine. JMHO though.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use leaders pitching cranks in waters with pike whether I am fishing walleye, bass, pike or whatever. I make my own now but are modeled after the 8 inch, 18 lb invisi leader made by South Bend. I truly believe the leader doesn't prevent any fish from biting.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 6.57.39 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 6.57.03 AM.jpg

This stuff is great !! Always have it in the boat, it actually stretches.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This stuff is great !! Always have it in the boat, it actually stretches.

that's the stuff I tried and couldn't get good knots with ;:;banghead

and if I did get one that seemed half decent the knots caught weeds and gunk and drove me nuts

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I've used that stuff and tying a knot in it is a pain in the ass especially if you get a small crimp in the line. As for pike the state needs to knock it the hell off! I'm sick of having to donate tackle every time out or arrmor up my line undoubtedly costing me fish. Plus the fact pike are a cold water fish and won't consistently get to trophy size in the vast majority of the little lakes they stock them in. Don't get me wrong I love pike and target the specifically far more than the average North Dakota fisherman but they don't need to be put in every damn lake.

- - - Updated - - -

that's the stuff I tried and couldn't get good knots with ;:;banghead

and if I did get one that seemed half decent the knots caught weeds and gunk and drove me nuts

You beat me too it but that is exactly what I found on both points. Plus the ends are very good at making a guy bleed.

CWS

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a 10lb flouro leader if I know there is an abundance of pike around, works well

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought some invisi leaders , They work ok but wow for spendy. I don't like Northerns in every lake either but I think in a lot of cases they use them for a management tool . If Perch and Bluegills have the right habitat they overpopulate. I wish they would have raised some Zander to adult size and sterilized them, I bet they would be a good predator fish.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet a guy could buy some seaguar flouro leader and get the correct crimps and crimping tool from Wade at Dakota tackle and make these for pennys.

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 7.35.15 AM.jpg

I almost never run leaders except pitching jigs on DL but having options is always nice

crashboombang

We fish quite often in Pelican Lake (Devils), its a pike mecca in the spring, and have used the invisi-leaders too(6in. or 8in.). I don't think the walleyes are put off by the leader to much. The snap of the leader lets you change cranks easily, and it definitely saves on lost lures.

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
leaders are like condoms, in the spring when everything is feisty, use one. in the summer while trolling use caution

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 20lb fluoro leaders for pike fishing, ive never lost one yet. Just check the leader for abrasions after every fish. 20lb fluoro is clear and limp enough that it wont affect lure action and will be invisible in clear water, its also easy to tie.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 144
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 68
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 51