Venison Tiger Meat

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep - pre ground is BS

Buy whole muscle and grind it - that way you know it wasn’t inoculated with fecal matter or some such and left to be a petri dish from hell days/weeks later when you bought it.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the boss bring some from the grocery in Killdeer to a work site, midafternoon on a fairly warm day.. I declined while my co-worker had a few crackers with some on them.. We had to rig up which is quite a bit of busting ass. He puked, I didn't. Every time I think about trying some I think of him hurling as he was working.

- - - Updated - - -

the F&S stream recipe calls for sirloin, then grind after mixing.... I always thought it was with burger. I think steak would be safer than burger? What do you all use?

You definitely want to use a steak or roast and then grind it. If you make it out of meat ground at the store, the bacteria that was on the outside of the meat is ground in and starts to incubate, making it less safe.

I used the quad muscle of the deer. Washed it and cut the outside connective tissue so that there would be less bacteria getting mixed into the meat. There is always a risk when eating raw meat and eggs but I think that the risks are overstated.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering some of the dietary proclivities I've seen on this site, I'd say a little raw venison is the least concerning. Am I the only one to cut a little slice of raw backstrap and eat it to see if one of the three deer I shoot every year should be sausaged or left in whole cuts?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had raw venison LOTS of times and tiger meat nearly as many times and I'm still here. Never had a single issue with it ever. The secret is to use your own deer and make it yourself. I tend to avoid the backstraps for this though. They are too close to the gut cavity and you just never know if that tissue barrier gets torn or perforated. Backstraps are tops for this though. I especially like the thin parts as you get up into the neck. They are perfect for raw eaten' or tiger meat. They are too small for steaks and too tender to plop into a stew. Eat Up!!!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
never heard of it and my dad was a butcher at one time. I have seen him make and eat some awful stuff from head cheese to pickled feet.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heard of it, tried some once, never made my own. Got some venison steaks from the hind quarters that I'm thinking of trying. Have read the F&S recipe, if anyone would mind sharing I would appreciate it (PM if need ne)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
You people would fight a cat over a dead gopher.;:;barf

Just need a bit more info before I answer.

What kind of gopher?
How long has it been dead?
Where was it laying and at what temp?
Did the cat bite any of the backstraps or hinds?

Thanks!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering some of the dietary proclivities I've seen on this site, I'd say a little raw venison is the least concerning. Am I the only one to cut a little slice of raw backstrap and eat it to see if one of the three deer I shoot every year should be sausaged or left in whole cuts?

Dude, I enjoy your posts. Theyre usually interesting or funny...but I do wonder about you!:;:cheers

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree that DW is the best. Can't quit that stuff once I start.

dw is the best I've had. I can't believe anyone likes butcher blocks GROSS especially when you can get dw! bb has no spice, gross color, bad texture, and I'm pretty sure they mix it at a 1 to 1 ratio black pepper to meat.

Schweitzers tiger is fricking horrible. I think theyre still working on the recipe but thats never an excuse for letting all that fat into it. yuck. last time i tried it there it looked like 80/20.

dw is the best. I need to try 3be's still.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought you were too use round steak for tiger meat. Least amount of fat possible.

Tikka

Be careful eating raw venison. Butchered a deer last fall and ended up on 8 weeks of antibiotics. Doctor said I had contracted brucellosis from the venison. I feel fine now but it sure was a rough couple of months. Freezing the meat doesn't kill this type of bacteria, only way is cooking to 160 degrees.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be careful eating raw venison. Butchered a deer last fall and ended up on 8 weeks of antibiotics. Doctor said I had contracted brucellosis from the venison. I feel fine now but it sure was a rough couple of months. Freezing the meat doesn't kill this type of bacteria, only way is cooking to 160 degrees.

I eat a large amount of meat that is only seared on the outside and just warm in the middle. Is there a chance to get sick yes but I won’t eat red meat steaks from any animal that are well done. Including ducks and geese. I probably have a better chance of getting in a car accident but that don’t stop me from driving.

Last edited:

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ate some really pink , really really juicy stuff one time but didn't get sick but for some reason I have to pay $850 to it every month now . Maybe if I'd have just got sick from the get go I'd have been better off ! HMM ?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ate some really pink , really really juicy stuff one time but didn't get sick but for some reason I have to pay $850 to it every month now . Maybe if I'd have just got sick from the get go I'd have been better off ! HMM ?

Best comment of the day.

Sluggin_Guts

Founding Member
Founding Member

Im not a gynecologist, but im pretty sure the $850 monthly tab didn’t come from eating the pink meat.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a buddy that always said " my momma told me if you can't eat it don't fuck it "

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 34
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11
  • This month: 11