Vortex Diamondback 10 x 50

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Who all have them and had problems with the inside lens coming loose. This is the 2nd time it has happened and it can't be just me. They set on my dash with a nonslip pad. Sure the warranty is great, but I'm out a set of fieldglasses. I ran the same 12 x 50 Leuplod for over 20 yrs on the dash and never a problem with them til a eye cup broke on them. I sent them in and they sent me a brand new set of 1 20211113_080404.jpg2 x 50 HD.

Like I said it can't be just me shaking them apart.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been happy with my pair of diamondback 10x42 the past 5 years. When scope shopping recently I was told something like "Vortex has a warranty because they have to. Leupold has a warranty because they can."

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be testing Vortex's warranty here directly. The coatings on the inside of the lenses is bubbling off. Fricking terrible to try and look through at this point. I suppose they are 4-5 yrs old now(?).

- - - Updated - - -

This is on a pair of 10x42 Diamondback binocs.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When the lense fell out last yr I sent the field glasses in and had them back a week later. Like I said the warranty is good. This should not be happening. They can use a drop of locktight or maybe stake the lock nut.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll be testing Vortex's warranty here directly. The coatings on the inside of the lenses is bubbling off. Fricking terrible to try and look through at this point. I suppose they are 4-5 yrs old now(?).

- - - Updated - - -

This is on a pair of 10x42 Diamondback binocs.
The Vortex Warranty is pretty good you should not have a problem getting a replacement. Leupold on the other hand is a pia

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting on a dash rattling might be a problem. Put them in a case of some sort even the sun shining in isn’t good. Have a pair of diamond backs that are my kids now but they have taken a beating.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting on a dash rattling might be a problem. Put them in a case of some sort even the sun shining in isn’t good. Have a pair of diamond backs that are my kids now but they have taken a beating.

I’ll also add. Sitting on the dash is one of the worst things for a bino. When the sun comes through the window on warm days, and hits glass…it gets warm. I’ve seen many eye cups and such come off because the glue melts and things come apart.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They have been on the dash a little over a week, just deer season. There not on the dash yr round. Like I said my Leuplod's sat on the dash every fall and winter for over 20 yrs till a eye cub failed.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF is rolling on the floor laughing. I bought a pair of $500 vortex 10x42 HD’s last year for $300. Hindsight, I wouldn’t pay $200 for them. They are junk. I’m glad I haven’t bought into vortex like many others........

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF is rolling on the floor laughing. I bought a pair of $500 vortex 10x42 HD’s last year for $300. Hindsight, I wouldn’t pay $200 for them. They are junk. I’m glad I haven’t bought into vortex like many others........

LOL, I believe that is ridiculously true. I bought a Vortex scope for my kids' 243 and still can't be happier with it.

Other than it convinced me to buy the same level of Vortex binoculars. My Nikons have also had coating issues, but this pair of Vortex binocs have gone downhill quickly. Fluke? I dunno, but it's at the minimum a 50/50 prospect now with Vortex products in my mind's eye.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much any of lower tier products from all manufacturers is a crap shoot.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just my opinion, 0% bounded in fact.

Vortex:

25% of the price for the actual product you receive
25% of the price to cover warrantee you'll almost undoubtedly use
50% of the price goes to outfitting/advertising every TV/Podcast-host/guide/outfitter personality they can.

Last edited:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much any of lower tier products from all manufacturers is a crap shoot.

:;:thumbsup:; I think you nailed it Kurt. Also even the popular brands can fail. For example many have good luck with Leupold. I have had such bad luck that the last time they replaced my Mark IV tactical I didn't even brake the cellophane on the package. I sold it for $300 under the Scheels price. My Vortex are PST and Razor. I think I have had some for seven or eight years now. I do baby things though. I still have a 1982 Leupold tactical that is in 99% condition. I have always told my kids and grandkids there are two ways to own nice things, be rich, or take good care of what you have. My used vehicles don't make it two days on the lot. I know for a fact some went to the salesmans relatives.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
The cheaper Vortex lines are made in China, and is largely junk. Their high-end stuff is made in Japan, and is largely solid. That pattern holds for most optics companies.
Pretty much anything made in USA, Japan, or Europe is going to be good. "Buy once, cry once", and all the standard cliches...

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I received a email from Tim Austin one of the Vortex VIP Care team members. When I told him this is the 2nd time it has happened. He agreed with me that riding on the dash should not ever be a problem. He was sending me another set of Diamondback HD in the mail today. He said he understands my frustration. He said the something about putting them on the dash and he does it to. Im not going to change my habit, if they go to hell again I will send them back and ask for a full refund.

yellowlab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have three vortex riflescopes and 1 pair of binos. All Diamondbacks or Vipers. Two of the riflescopes and the binos have been sent back for the same exact problem as the OP. Complete junk and I will never buy another vortex anything. At least their warranty service is good.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have some vortex binos that will need to be sent back soon, the focus knob catches when Im turning it, worse in cold weather than warm, it hasnt locked yet, but its noticeably not working correctly... Ive got a couple vortex scopes also, havent had problems with them yet, but they have barely been used.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 97
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33