We’re doomed...

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s here. The lone star tick has been discovered in ND. While ticks are nothing new, this one packs a very noticeable side effect, the allergy to red meat. Now with not just lyme disease to contend with, if you haven’t already, it may be time to invest in some permethrin as a good preventative measure that can be taken against these little nasties. Without getting into who to buy it from or what brand, this stuff has worked great in keeping the numbers of ticks found down on us. Unlike other bug sprays it gets sprayed onto your clothing or gear and can last through even a couple washes. For those of you that spend a lot of time in the field finding one of these little blood suckers is inevitable, but this tip should help in cutting down on the total number attempting a meal on you.

https://www.facebook.com/138540406254427/posts/1602207449887708/

As if I wasn’t paranoid enough about the diseases ticks carry...

Last edited by a moderator:

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those wanting more detail but can’t/won’t click on either link....

tick causing red red meat allergy has been found in Nd.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Political ticks are the worst. Cannot get rid of them no matter how much deet you use.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a matter of perspective for me. First, red meat allergy isn't a fatal condition. Second, the lonestar tick was just discovered in ND which suggests their populations are VERY LOW. Third, the dog ticks that are everywhere here in ND can carry the Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever pathogen, but you don't hear anything about folks getting that condition, which begs the question "Why?". Forth, there are much more injurious ailments I need to worry about. I did some research on this ailment, the vector (the tick), and the infection rates for this condition and found there have been 3-5 thousand cases in the whole U.S. to date that exhibit symptoms of "red meat allergy". While unfortunate for those affected, this isn't a large number and these cases have been compiled over the past 10 or so years researchers have known about red meat allergy. That's 300-500 cases per year over the entire range of the lone star tick, which is unfortunate, but there are over 10,000 DEATHS each year from seasonal flu and I don't hear one peep about that little statistic. While nice to know we have a new tick here in ND, I'm more concerned about making sure I have a good safety harness while in the tree stand than I am about avoiding ticks. Falling out of a tree is SO MUCH more likely to cause harm/death for me than for me to get bit by a lone star tick let alone acquire red meat allergy. I'll be skipping the permethrin dunk again this year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88