Weather Apps

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Name your favs please.

I have had great luck with VNL Weather (valley news live) over many years. But recently the brain trust here at VNL in Fargo started to "jazz up" there daily forecasts with stuff like "Tailgating is going to be cold."

In order to get adorably cute with their forecasts they had to remove wind (only so much room on the app). Now I don't know about you, but a weather app might be better off telling me the temp and the WIND if I'm tailgating... not "Tailgating is going to be cold".

I wrote them a note asking them to knock it off - I want the wind in a weather app's daily forecast. But to no avail.

Here's today's gem - with wind purposefully removed so they could include a neat note about Equinox at 10:49 PM. If I navigate to Casselton I can get the wind included - just like Fargo's had up until the last week or so. ;:;banghead

There's always an hour-by-hour portion of this app for the next 24 hours but I'd like a general indication of the wind for the next two days in the daily forecast.

2015-12-21 14.42.58.jpg

2015-12-21 14.46.25.jpg

I've tried a few other apps but they seem cluttered and unnecessarily complicated. Suggestions?

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Best one I've found for wind for fishing is iWindsurf.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Radarnow is the one I consult the most but The Weather Channel is also helpful. Doesn't matter what app or where I select for data though. The forecasted winds are never what I experience in the treestand. ;:;banghead

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Windfinder is very good for wind too - but it's sorta overdone.

One of the reasons I like the VNL is that I have a huge list of all the places I hunt/fish... so I can get that location's weather forecast quite readily. Most other apps are a PITA to switch cities.

Maybe I'll just spend the time to look up all my old haunts in Windfinder. ;:;banghead

Turfman

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_0481.jpgOn the VNL app current wind in lower left. Next day on my app shows wind. More than 24 hours out no wind. Isn't a forecaster out there normally more accurate than 5 minutes ago so why try!

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently not smart enough to upload pic. Sorry

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed an impassioned plea to Robert Hahn at VNL - And he came through. Winds are back - ha ha ha. Thanks Robert!!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the KX Weather app the most and another good one to have is the ND Roads app

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually just step outside to see what the weather is doing!! :;:stirthepot;:;rofl :;:smokin

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's the look of iWindSurf. It goes out about a week. image.jpg

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ap, just go to the NWS page. Usually read forecast disco, check reports from various locations and the digital forecasts are helpful.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 3 or 4 weather apps. I use the noaa forecast graph. I have messaged sd and asked him if it was worth going up to dl due to wimd and his answer was spot on.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
KFYR has a weather app with a decent radar. I rely on my NWS shortcut for all forecasting. The only app that does not rely on advertising.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guywho.... After you get everyone's favorite apps you should take it one step further and see which one "guessed" best. Take a few locations, pick a time period, and then post the screen shots from all of them. At the end of the period, then compare and see which ones did the best job.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hourly wind is vital. I was at my parents for Christmas this past weekend. I planned to get the family up early and drive back home and bowhunt Sunday afternoon. It was calling for a south wind all week for Sunday evening and then they switched it to North about Friday. So I was able to spend the full day Sunday watching football with family instead of bowhunting.

Ok wait, maybe I do like the idea of going outside and checking. Haha

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed an impassioned plea to Robert Hahn at VNL - And he came through. Winds are back - ha ha ha. Thanks Robert!!

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

You must be pretty important to request the man and get your way.
Maybe you should contact the GNF and get me my elk tag.
#guywhohasmorepowerthanmost

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 78
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 42
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32