What gun safe should I buy?

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought a cheap one from Walmart. My only requirements were to keep my 5 guns inaccessible from kids and to fit in my closet. $99

HammsRMK

Honored Member
The only thing I regret is getting on that is to big. I have a 60 gun safe, and wish I would have just gone with two smaller ones. Its hard to get the guns out of the back of mine.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone keep their safe in an unheated garage with a heater/dehumidifier inside the safe? Saw a heater/dehumidifier advertised for a gun safe but am leary about my guns sweating and getting moisture on them leading to rust.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a couple Fort Knox safes that seem to be pretty good quality. Supposed higher fire roof time and almost impossible to steal without mechanical help to load them.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pendleton is what i have. I love it and everybody who sees it fall in love with it! Check them out!

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, I have a question on these. Most I see have electronic locks. So, if you have a fire, won't that be destroyed? If it is then how do you get it open?

Predel

Personally, I'm a fan of Liberty.And I shopped for a good while because they tend to go on sale frequently. They are higher quality in my opinion when you compare specs, and I found them to be the more reasonable price. I purchased mine through Cabelas https://secretstorages.com/best-under-bed-gun-safes/ who has several models that they slap their name on but are produced and have the liberty warranty. I ordered mine when it was on sale for 500 off, but the shipping cost me 200. It showed up and was unloaded into the garage, undamaged which is big if you aren't picking up yourself. Nothing worse than spending good money and having a delivery guy wreck it. They are a bitch to move up and down stairs but slide well on carpet. Sounds like that won't be an issue if it's staying in the garage.Decide how big you need (big enough to grow into, always need more guns), compare specs between safes, and compare pricing and I believe you will find the one that works best for you.Also, I'm a big fan of the manual locking mechanism. The electronic keypad, in my opinion, can become subject to Murphy's law way too easy. If you must have the keypad, make sure it has a backup/manual key to unlock the safe. A lot of them don't and if it goes on the fritz you are SOL.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 3
  • This month: 2
  • This month: 1