What Happened To the Cutthroats?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgot to mention I got a 14in laker about 10yrs ago. There is/was some natural reproduction going on somewhere.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
this thread has me wanting to go hit the tailrace this weekend, if anyone from minot area wants to go let me know.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught what (at the time) I thought was ready-to-die chinook a few years ago. Motley looking grayish greenish fish. Skinny and dark. I thought it was an old chromer, but upon further reflection (and the fact that nobody can dispute me), I've decided that it was a laker. It was released.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes, I'm working on mounting that brown, but I have a bunch of other peoples stuff to finish before I work on my own. No, I have never seen a brown jump either, rainbows seem to instantly head for the surface to go airborn.

I've caught a couple lakers in the tailrace. one back in 05 and another in 2011 after the flood. they used to stock lots of them in sakakawea but I think our water temps in the fall after turnover get just a wee bit too warm for them to thrive. Other random Lakers I suspect come through the Ft Peck dam and then the Garrison.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone think with some modification the hatchery creek could facilitate natural reproduction? This is the type musing I get from Bud Heavy and is cool.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think its more of a water chemistry and quality problem. Im only guessing, but i think the eggs are succeptible to fungal and bacterial infections from common microbes in our waters. But im not really sure how they hatch them in the hatchery using lake water, but the ones the salmon and trout lay in the lake n river dont hatch.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive watched big trout spawn in that hatchery stream, but im pretty sure the eggs go bad.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking it's "just" a matter of increased flow and improved habitat. Too fast in the river and not enough water in the creek.

Last edited:

cpete00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there any particular time of the year that is better to try for trout?

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think april may june seem to be the best times for me.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Effn' A right that was a good read: I found zero points for disagreement. Damn right browns eat mice--Heddon Meadow Mouse at the tail of large pools at sunset into the night...Nothing like your 12lb but I believe they're in "there"...wary and wise.

Back in the Hills there's streams which produce "native" brown and rainbow from hatchery stock. The altitude and distance these fish reach is amazing. Pard and I have "rescued" a couple beautiful browns and a rainbow with a 1 1/2in CRIMSON stripe: Many of these seeps go nearly dry in late June and Pard can not resist sneaking up on a pool below a culvert or bridge. My gawd it was beautiful and no camera...the rainbow was placed in aerated cooler and released at the bottom of the mountain. We used to "road fish" a lot and kept a 30gal cooler filled with spring water and some ice equipped with aerator secured in the back of his truck. (Oh the horror!!)--We enjoyed stocking spring fed ponds and creeks not known or maintained for trout. Most browns went in the "no name" creeks and I believe we had some success with establishment.

About 10yrs ago, Pard got a 22in brown in July about a mile from his house. He was unable to revive it and now it's on his wall alongside a 14lb he caught in NY.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
running your own little game and fish operation in them hills were ya?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
running your own little game and fish operation in them hills were ya?

Oh hell man. I forgot about this: One year (believe '84) the hatchery flooded: Pard and another acquaintance skipped school and filled a kiddy pool twice. I was let in on the gig that weekend and was freaking amazed at what they'd done. The two biggest holes in the two main creeks laid black with trout: Stories peculated back to me overseas about property owners reporting parents guarding broods. I can't confirm this behavior but can confirm the anecdotes.

The above tale of "road fishing" was mainly my senior year and leaves from the Farce. These catches were akin to a lottery. I surmise a few trout had the genetics: Mostly, Pard pulled in chubs or crayfish if the stream wasn't noted for native brook trout. We left those streams alone. I guess it didn't matter as brook trout have a higher acid tolerance; mines, dead leaves and such...

I remember one time we stopped to piss by a culvert obviously set in by a timber operation. While I relieved; Pard dunked a piece of crawler in the pool and caught a fingerling brown. There is no other logical explanation than the DNR also had to piss and stopped there also. We could barely see the river below and the seep was a swamp of leaves all the way down with a small vein which terminated under the duff. We were "up there" on a switchback.

- - - Updated - - -

And a lot of these trout were killed and given to Grandma...The "operation" wasn't perfect. She's still around and loves my dumb ass.

Last edited:

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there another definition of God and beauty?

I'm not poking you with a stick as my "faith" is reprehensible.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont get the video....as usual.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man I had a good reply and this device effed it up. The song is mainly about my rare friends.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I don't know if I can obtain the same thought process. I can't type "eff" loud and big enough to express my frustration at the moment.

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
trout are neat..

photo.jpg

Replica of 10 lb 11 oz rainbow from Garrison Dam Tailrace.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54