What Shot Size To Use for Ducks Hunting

mikeross

Being new to duck hunting, I've read that steel shot shoots differently than lead, but to avoid buying 4 different boxes of different sized shot at $25 ea to determine which shoot best thru my Mossberg 12 ga (3.5 mag) with a mod choke, what is a reasonably good guess on which size shot I should buy?

For example, if someone was to ask me what size lead shot I use on Turkey, I'd say 5's or 4's, with a preference towards 5's (having patterned both).

So for ducks, what size shot should I start with?

Thanks!

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on the setup. 2s in a field with bigger ducks. 4s over water when the ducks are really close. Looking forward to Tealsteel 6s next year with the 20g.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cheap # 2 fo mei will say all they had was a box of black cloud in #2 and I did notice a difference just don’t know if it is worth extra cost

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
2s. Maybe 4s. Decoyed ducks are usually close enough that i don't think special stuff is needed. So federal or Winchester regular should suffice. If nothing else, pull the trigger more. They won't fall if you don't shoot and I am often times very amazed at the distance a guy can drop a duck. Never left the field and said, "Sure wish I would have saved $10 & shot less".

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Over small water bodies I use the cheapest shells I can find. Most shots are real close so magnum shells aren't needed IMO. Big water and field hunting I use either #2 or BB in 3 inch mag as I can get in geese as well, but also the shots tend to be 30 yards or more in those situations. At least they are/have been for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 49