Wonder Fund North Dakota

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd wager the G&F wouldn't like this, as it would eventually mean fewer licenses sold. PLOTS acres would likely also go down as farmers and ranchers would see more $ from paying hunters. Now our legislature sees "landowner rights" and big pocket out of staters, no doubt they love this. ND is part of the last frontier of the average joe getting to freelance hunt. Guess its just a matter of time.
Knowing license sales would plummet didn’t stop the game and fish from fighting against the no trespass law. They should be all about access.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sometimes i feel I experience the good old days when it comes to the outdoors. From my youth to today.
From my cap guns, sling shots with rubber from a bike tube to BB guns to today's guns. From my bow and arrow made with branches from the tree to my crossbow of today. From cowboys and Indians, robbers and cops, to sparrows, jackrabbits and on up the ladder of wildlife. Guessing which way is north to my hand-held GPS with radio. Still feel lost at times when in the woods.

Maybe one just needs to work harder and smarter at it to have those same experiences or create some different experiences that leave one with all the good memories.

I do not and will not pay a fee to hunt. At this time no need to as i work with others to keep the good times going in my circle of life. They can keep their birds and deer and hope they have good conversations with them when they need someone to visit with.

And for now, that is working for me and the kids.

And yes, i have bought cap guns just like i had on ebay for the grand kids. Plan on making a sling shot from a tree branch, inner tube and a piece of belt for my youngest. db-2

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The good ole days are long gone. One can still enjoy hunting, etc but the true good ole days are a distant past

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hopefully my kids will say the same thing in the distance future as for each the good old days will always be there. db

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
John Arman are you still lurking around here? I was hoping you could clarify something from your FB page; I don't have an account. You own quite a bit of land. Are you saying it'll just take some money from hunters, the gov, and some tags and you will grant access? Seems greedy. Just say sorry but no and move on if you want to save hunting for yourself. And as far "WE" can't be biting the hand that feeds? Lets say a guy is told to pay to enter or straight up no and he complains. He's already locked out, what is he going to be told no twice now? You made your case on the baiting bill that you were all about kids and less fortunate having access to hunt. I fail to see how this helps your cause. Ask a local in the mountain states, beach towns, or even the Deadwood area how they feel about AirBnB or VRBO. The short term renters are raising property values and tax and driving old homeowners out. You don't think the same will happen with this project? And landowners acting like they are above the peasant class will not garner much sympathy once they start getting priced out. It is a two way street. Also, we need to make it clear you do not speak for all landowners. This is not meant as disrespect, but you are a bit out of touch with the average landowner. Your sole source of income is not from your land. Most farmers don't care about the number of animals or the size of their antlers, and if they do they'd like to see fewer.

Just so you know, I have land. The signs say ask before you enter and walking only. If nobody is there or planning to be there the next couple of days I usually say yes. I don't need tags or handouts, however I'll share a beer or two.
uoa.png

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The argument for me buying land to secure a place to hunt is steadily growing. I have a few acres to my name already, and strong influence over a couple of sections, but I'm starting to think I need to remove the middlemen between the public goods and I.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seen my first posted sign on 1957. The Same guy that sprayed the juneberries on our land. Not many in the community respected him.
I remember that! I was gonna bow hunt that juneberry stand that year but they all died so I couldnt.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
interestingly enough, a lot of landowners don't really hunt or even have family to hunt these days (group 1 for this discussion). a decent % still allow hunting, don't post and couldn't care less who is hunting on their land (group 2). a few who post that don't fall in group 1 just want to know who is out there (group 3). but, the big elephant in the room that keeps getting fatter is the group who don't fall into group 1, 2 or 3 and are getting paid for access by guides or hunting leases (group 4). the devils lake area is nearly completely tied up with guide and private lease $. thereby putting more pressure on groups 1, 2 & 3. not a fan of it. but, $ talks whether we like it or not.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A couple of friends have a very significant hunting operation, enough so that they have a second income that rivals the majority of most of NDrs first income.
The payout on this is getting to the point that to not do this would be crazy.

I would do the same if the opportunity presents itself

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My feeling has always been is if your getting government subsidies, which 99% are, your land should be open for hunting as payback to the tax payers
Problem is the subsidies is the tax payer paying a portion of the crop insurance bill, and of course the lower sales tax rate on ag equipment, etc. But it isn't an actual cash check that gets sent out to whomever owns land. They have to spend money to get the "subsidy".
If I own land, but don't earn 50% of my annual income from "working" that land, I am not supposed to get that qualification.

Bobkat

Established Member
How are you guys shell shocked by this? "Fee Hunting" has been going on for years! Look at the Mott area for upland hunting. Every farmer in the tri-county area is paid by the outfitters to leave corn strips and habitat for them to guide on and benefit "financially". 🤷‍♂️
And keep the rest of us out!

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
Problem is the subsidies is the tax payer paying a portion of the crop insurance bill, and of course the lower sales tax rate on ag equipment, etc. But it isn't an actual cash check that gets sent out to whomever owns land. They have to spend money to get the "subsidy".
If I own land, but don't earn 50% of my annual income from "working" that land, I am not supposed to get that qualification.
yep ive been a small business owner and never got any breaks, kind of makes me wonder when you see what farmers get.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never got an unemployment check in my life. A man can WORK if he WANTS to. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sometimes i feel I experience the good old days when it comes to the outdoors. From my youth to today.
From my cap guns, sling shots with rubber from a bike tube to BB guns to today's guns. From my bow and arrow made with branches from the tree to my crossbow of today. From cowboys and Indians, robbers and cops, to sparrows, jackrabbits and on up the ladder of wildlife. Guessing which way is north to my hand-held GPS with radio. Still feel lost at times when in the woods.

Maybe one just needs to work harder and smarter at it to have those same experiences or create some different experiences that leave one with all the good memories.

I do not and will not pay a fee to hunt. At this time no need to as i work with others to keep the good times going in my circle of life. They can keep their birds and deer and hope they have good conversations with them when they need someone to visit with.

And for now, that is working for me and the kids.

And yes, i have bought cap guns just like i had on ebay for the grand kids. Plan on making a sling shot from a tree branch, inner tube and a piece of belt for my youngest. db-2
Remember getting my ass whopped for cutting up a still useable innertube to make a sling shot. Can laugh about it now. A few gopher tails could buy you some wristrockets at the five and dime and I learned that was the way to go. Still would like to hear a rock whine off after shooting it off the cement steps in front of the old house. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 76
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 31