Your Ice Fishing Invention's and Improvements

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe this is a dying thing, with how well things are built nowadays, but do any of you modify your ice gear? If so, what have you done? In the past, some of the neatest things I have seen have come from the ice fishing modification world. It doesn't have to be huge world changing stuff. Even the simple stuff might help someone else out, or is at least neat to see/hear about.

I haven't done anything wild, other than building my own power box with a bigger battery than most.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
Set my vexilar up to run off of milwaukee m18 battery's. Simplifies how many diffrent chargers a guy needs to bring along on a trip away from home. Also added some lights,usb port, volt meter and master power switch to essentially turn my vexilar box into a powerbox as well

Built myself a few jaw jackers for a fraction of what a factory one costs

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been meaning to build a smitty sled. I have the ski's and everything else I need. I am just trying to figure out how I'm going to build it and what accessories I want to add to it.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
guywhotinkers has done some things with ice fishing using but not limited to buckets and bungee cords...rockon...
also there was a member who made a hole deicer by bending a copper pipe around one of those small sunflower heaters that use a 1 pound tank. I see he doesn't have an account with us anymore so I cant upload the pic to show you. I suggested that he use a 12 v small bilge pump with a variable speed so he could increase or decrease the flow of water based on the need for hotter water. Its was quite a good idea

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been meaning to build a smitty sled. I have the ski's and everything else I need. I am just trying to figure out how I'm going to build it and what accessories I want to add to it.
if you are looking for some ideas look at the website https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php there is a forum that talks about the use of the smitty sled and how to customize them for your taste.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The possibilities are endless. I simply can't leave well enough alone.

2020-03-07 14.59.39.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh dont me modest guywholikestoshare where the other pics you have on your set ups especially the ones with the buckets and bungee cords on your snowmobiles.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
oh dont me modest guywholikestoshare where the other pics you have on your set ups especially the ones with the buckets and bungee cords on your snowmobiles.
I have divested myself of my snowmobile systems. I'm too old for that these days.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've rednecked numerous things I could have purchased for some more money and way less time. Auger mount for ATV, sled tow hitches, sled runners, wall mounted rod storage in the castle, rod holders for off-season storage.

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a homemade 9 x 12 reasonably priced this summer, guy wanted to get rid of it and wife thought she would lowball him and put him off of selling it to me. Didn't work he agreed to her price. ($400)

It already has a sink, stove, furnace, fold down table, camper style locking cabinets already in it. I need to take some pics of it. It needs some TLC as the last calendar on the wall is from 2003 and probably hasn't been used since then.

The hubs bolt on to the frame so I need to add jacks and pull off the tires to lower it or just use the tubes that came with it and stay up off the ice for this winter.

Planning on adding some led lights to the inside when I wire on tail and clearance lights. I was thinking I could use the white ones inside when I add the clearance lights to the outside. I found a 30 pack of led's with 10 each amber red and white lights reasonably priced.

Also planning on wiring in some usb plugs to keep the cell phone charged.

any ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
got a homemade 9 x 12 reasonably priced this summer, guy wanted to get rid of it and wife thought she would lowball him and put him off of selling it to me. Didn't work he agreed to her price. ($400)

It already has a sink, stove, furnace, fold down table, camper style locking cabinets already in it. I need to take some pics of it. It needs some TLC as the last calendar on the wall is from 2003 and probably hasn't been used since then.

The hubs bolt on to the frame so I need to add jacks and pull off the tires to lower it or just use the tubes that came with it and stay up off the ice for this winter.

Planning on adding some led lights to the inside when I wire on tail and clearance lights. I was thinking I could use the white ones inside when I add the clearance lights to the outside. I found a 30 pack of led's with 10 each amber red and white lights reasonably priced.

Also planning on wiring in some usb plugs to keep the cell phone charged.

any ideas would be appreciated.
Add some exterior LED lights, perhaps.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 143
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93