Z Turn mower recommendations please

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Craftsman rider just took a dump after it's 5th season. Anyone have any recommendations on a quality Z turn mower? Looking to spend 3-5k, mowing a hilly 2.5 acre lot with lots of obstacles. Right now I think I've got it narrowed down to Hustler raptor or a Toro.

Thanks for any input.

GSP22366

We have a Hustler- 2nd one. Seems to be well built and rugged. Put the optional spring front forks on this one-much better ride. No issues on either machine. We mow our 2 acres- neighbour's with 1.5 acres- and the farm site with 2 more acres. Old one had 7 seasons on it and dealer wanted to trade more than I did.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
the hustler are built heavier than any mower I have looked at.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
No matter the brand Look at the depth of the deck, my experience with all types of mowers is the deeper the deck the better it cuts overall and especially does a lot better when cutting heavier taller grass.
I have a cub cadet 42 inch two blade lawn tractor with a deeper deck and i can mow through hay fiels and spit out wind rows no problem, i also have a 42 inch zero turn dixon three blade shallow mower deck and if the grass is more than 4-5 tall or too green i am just inching along trying to cut it and it plugs up all the time if the grass is dry and not to thick it mows ok. The blower vac works awesome in the fall when sucking up leaves and grass clippings though.

Last edited:

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a Dixon grizzly 32 HP 60" deck that's a cutting beast, has no problem cutting my knee high alfalfa food plot, don't get anything with a rear discharge the Hussler's and JD's I've seen if the grass gets a little long it looks like you cut it with a sickle mower.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a gravely which is going on it's seventh season of mowing 6 acres weekly and have been very please with it. So far just regular maintence, a couple of deck sprngs, 1 bearing, and two belts. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another when the time comes. There are however a lot of good machines out there, if the deal was right I would certainly consider a Skag, Exmark, Ferris, Hustler, John Deere, Dixi chopper, Grasshopper, and of course another Gravely. If you do some research on the mowing forums where the commercial guys talk mowers, these seem to be the most discussed brands and generally well thought if in that industry.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toro - Keep in mind deck width with a hilly lot sometimes to wide of a deck will give you an uneven cut with hills/sideslopes.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
9k=
DSC06022.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I almost dropped the coin on the Hustler. Best bang for the buck on zero turn IMO. Didn't care for the rougher ride and the noise behind your head compared with regular rider.
Paid the extra for the green traditional rider.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the input everyone. I decided on a hustler.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 77
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31