Any Birders here?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
One house full of martins building away but shunning the new house so far. Funny thing happened with the orioles. Last spring we had bunch and then they seemed to disappear and our neighbor had lots of them. I told my wife they must have better jelly. FF ,this year , wife and I were talking a few days ago, wondering they weren't eating the jelly on the deck but the one a ways away and she said "maybe they are scared of the owl" I'm like what ?? Sure enough Wife has/or/had this fake horned owl to keep birds out of her strawberries. I took it away and within an hour we had a few pairs on the deck but nothing like last year . I think we have 3 pair this year compared to too many to count last year. Those things really work .
My office view today. The jar was empty so I set it down to get a spatula and an Oriole was in the jar eating when I came back so I just let them fight over it and clean it out.

1684044845132.png

oriole3.jpg

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Today whilst enjoying the afternoon smoking a cigar taking in the beautiful day,blue birds and rose breasted gross beaks visited,damn downy woodpecker "rad-da-tat tat all afternoon on barn steel roof little annoying somebeech.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Orioles and hummers showed up in big numbers and were hungry during the snow storm yesterday. went through a big jar of jelly in 2 days. It really blew hard out in the open with 6-8 '' heavy snow. No idea where the Martins took off to but they left and there were sparrows on the houses but the Martins came back this afternoon. They must head for the heavy timber and hunker down.

1716686279855.png

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Orioles and hummers showed up in big numbers and were hungry during the snow storm yesterday. went through a big jar of jelly in 2 days. It really blew hard out in the open with 6-8 '' heavy snow. No idea where the Martins took off to but they left and there were sparrows on the houses but the Martins came back this afternoon. They must head for the heavy timber and hunker down.

1716686279855.png
I know they like fruit, do you just put the jelly on a plate?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks!! Mom in the Hills loves them and wants to see more. I ASSume the Baltimore variety have the same tastes/habits. I'll look into it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks!! Mom in the Hills loves them and wants to see more. I ASSume the Baltimore variety have the same tastes/habits. I'll look into it.
There are quite a few different varieties here, I'll get some pics and try to figure out how many. It's all a learning process.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone in the turtle mountains still see pileated woodpeckers? Maybe I got the name wrong, but they're the big ones, black n white with the red Mohawks, like really big, crow size. I used to see them up the bow hunting when I was a kid

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone in the turtle mountains still see pileated woodpeckers? Maybe I got the name wrong, but they're the big ones, black n white with the red Mohawks, like really big, crow size. I used to see them up the bow hunting when I was a kid
Never seen one in ND. In the Hills; their call is reminiscent of jungle noise to accompany the rest of the annoying fuckers and blue jays: If you see a fallen tree stripped of bark with "snake trails" along the side; the bastard is near:

1716866854960.png

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
we have the pileated in the yard too - yes, they're hell on suet

We have a male Indigo Bunting in the yard again this year. Talk about a bird that makes you do a double-take. Unbelievable.

photo not mine
1716912594733.png

And the red-headed woodpecker this year is a head turner too - with that pure white waistcoat. It's another bird I'm unaccustomed to seeing out west while growing up so they sure turn my head.

photo not mine
1716912446006.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 255
  • This month: 216
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84