Infrared vs. Traditional Grills

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure what everyone is cooking with, but I went to a infrared grill about a month ago. Have used it several times now and I'll tell you what infrared is the cat's ass. No flare-ups, even heat, sears steaks quickly, throw your wood chips on the grill...awesome.

I had steaks at a buddy's house and that convinced me that the extra money was worth it. Anyway if you are unsure which way to go, spend the extra money.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use smoke tube, but you're throwing chips right on the grill?

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes. You can throw them right on the grate. The grates on the infrared have just small slits in them.
I have the infrared, but never heard of or thought of that. Any type work better than others. Chips,chunks,pellets, ect.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the infrared, but never heard of or thought of that. Any type work better than others. Chips,chunks,pellets, ect.

I've been using dry chips. I spread a handful across the back edge of the grill when I warm it up. After about 5-10 minutes they will be smoking and I'll start cooking. Usually they don't burn up by the time I'm done cooking so I just leave them there for whatever I cook next...usually it's steaks and burgers so a little smoke is always good.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
in search of a new grill, got my eye on a Weber Genesis E-330 this is the one with the searing station...but tell me more about this inferred you speak of...brands and models...you have my attention

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
After two recommendations from friends and researching them on Consumer Reports we bought the Charbroil 3 burner Tru Infrared. There are a few others, I think Weber is one of them, that make infrared grills. We spend like 2k on prime steer beef each year and between that beef and this grill life is good.

The only real negative is that the slits in the grill service, which are literally designed to let juices flow through, are very narrow. Chunks of cheese and what will stay on top of the grilling surface rather than fall down and burn up, so you have to spend a little more time cleaning your surface.

The heat is really high on it. If you leave it on high they will get to 600-700 degrees which will clean it off all grease and garbage in about 15 minutes.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just reading reviews on the charbroil tru infrared grills. Seems like there are a lot of versions of it but they switch from store to store. Basically the same grill with small design changes. Now I wait for the little sunbeam ($50) to burn up so I can make a change to the back yard.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just reading reviews on the charbroil tru infrared grills. Seems like there are a lot of versions of it but they switch from store to store. Basically the same grill with small design changes. Now I wait for the little sunbeam ($50) to burn up so I can make a change to the back yard.
My father in law,son in law, and I all have different models of the Charbroil infrared. They are similar in size, but mine is called the "commercial " model. Does seem to be a little higher quality. No clue on price difference.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My father in law,son in law, and I all have different models of the Charbroil infrared. They are similar in size, but mine is called the "commercial " model. Does seem to be a little higher quality. No clue on price difference.

I got ours at Walmart for like $325. The lid is stainless. When I put it together, it's the same shit as all the others I'm sure. It will last 5 years and be junk.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have gone through my share of $300-400 grills...this next one will be Weber...just torn on if I need the extra searing burner or not...I like the idea of the infra-red. ..maybe on the next in town grill

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
in search of a new grill, got my eye on a Weber Genesis E-330 this is the one with the searing station...but tell me more about this inferred you speak of...brands and models...you have my attention

I have this one if my better investments. Had it about 5 years or better now. I added the smoker box and rotassarie and couldn't be happy. Will heat up to 750 in a matter of minutes. I have done turkeys, hams, pork loin. Smoked ribs and chickens a lot. No complaints on anything about this grill. Smoker box made by weber was one of my best investments. Have a weber q220 in the camper and use the smoker YouTube in that. I am a fan of the quality weber has to offer.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
th

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got the Char-Broil 3 burner commercial series from lowes, they have a sale on char broil grills right now. Only cooked on it a couple times but so far have been impressed for a $300 grill. Haven't put wood chips in the grates yet but is says right on the grill and in the owners manual you can just throw them on the grates they only have small holes so won't fall down to the burners and catch fire. The only negative I have is cleaning the infared grates can be a pain and you have regular grates on top of the infared grates so its like cleaning double the grates, but the no flare ups and searing heat is worth it so far grilled steaks tonight was up to 600 degrees in 10 minutes.(if the thermometer is right) I noticed right away the lid on the commercial series is heavier duty. I am sure the rest of the grill is made out of cheaper metal like the rest. That amazingribs.com website has lots of good info on it that is where I read the good review on this grill. Neighbor has a cheaper weber I think the spirit series and so far I think this char broil is a better grill, but probably won't compare to weber's higher end grills.

Grill(they also have a four burner)- http://www.lowes.com/pd_606680-82210-463242515_1z0uk3x__?productId=50329711&pl=1

Amazingribs.com review- http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/top_10/2015_top_10_gas_grills.html

- - - Updated - - -

It's not necessary to buy a new grill to get the advantages of infrared.

GrillGrates are available to fit most grills, both round and rectangular.

http://www.grillgrate.com/

I learned about them here:

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/guide_to_grill_grates.html

Do you have these for your grill? If so how do they work?

Last edited:

JohnMD1022

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got the Char-Broil 3 burner commercial series from lowes, they have a sale on char broil grills right now. Only cooked on it a couple times but so far have been impressed for a $300 grill. Haven't put wood chips in the grates yet but is says right on the grill and in the owners manual you can just throw them on the grates they only have small holes so won't fall down to the burners and catch fire. The only negative I have is cleaning the infared grates can be a pain and you have regular grates on top of the infared grates so its like cleaning double the grates, but the no flare ups and searing heat is worth it so far grilled steaks tonight was up to 600 degrees in 10 minutes.(if the thermometer is right) I noticed right away the lid on the commercial series is heavier duty. I am sure the rest of the grill is made out of cheaper metal like the rest. That amazingribs.com website has lots of good info on it that is where I read the good review on this grill. Neighbor has a cheaper weber I think the spirit series and so far I think this char broil is a better grill, but probably won't compare to weber's higher end grills.

Grill(they also have a four burner)- http://www.lowes.com/pd_606680-82210-463242515_1z0uk3x__?productId=50329711&pl=1

Amazingribs.com review- http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/top_10/2015_top_10_gas_grills.html

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have these for your grill? If so how do they work?

I have not purchased them yet, but am going to get them for both my kettle and gas grills.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No flare ups? And you admit to it? If the fire isn't touching the meat, you're baking not grilling.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82