Any Birders here?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
for kicks I used my pot call and got it to register as a turkey.
I would've thought it to register as either Cheech, Chong, or Spicolli.

Swaro has a new set of binocs out that when it sees the bird (or other critter depending on setting), it'll tell you what bird/critter you're looking at.

AI Swarovski Binoculars

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is one bird i have never seen in ND. I have always wondered why so many school mascots were Cardinals when we dont have many around.
It has a very distinct call also. I remember the first spring that I heard it made me stop and think “I have never heard that call before” and looked for the bird making it. Everytime I would hear I would look for it and it was always in behind his house which is across the street. Then I caught a glimpse of him up in tree. I was very suprised cause I have never seen one. I think this is the third spring he has come back. It’s kinda cool cause I’ll walk outside on a warm spring morning and can hear him calling from his back yard and I’ll know he’s back again. Kind of a neat deal.

Also my ex lives a Couple miles away and the boy said that he has heard the same call over by her house. Makes me wonder if it isn’t an offspring of this one

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a Flicker woodpecker land on a steel drum early this morning.
He wound hammer away, look around for a few minutes then start his calling.
Went on for bout 1/2 hour.
Kinda cool to watch.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would've thought it to register as either Cheech, Chong, or Spicolli.

Swaro has a new set of binocs out that when it sees the bird (or other critter depending on setting), it'll tell you what bird/critter you're looking at.

AI Binoculars
Haha after I typed it I was wondering if a comment like that would come out, I would have been disappointed if someone didn't.
Those Swaro's sound neat

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has a very distinct call also. I remember the first spring that I heard it made me stop and think “I have never heard that call before” and looked for the bird making it. Everytime I would hear I would look for it and it was always in behind his house which is across the street. Then I caught a glimpse of him up in tree. I was very suprised cause I have never seen one. I think this is the third spring he has come back. It’s kinda cool cause I’ll walk outside on a warm spring morning and can hear him calling from his back yard and I’ll know he’s back again. Kind of a neat deal.

Also my ex lives a Couple miles away and the boy said that he has heard the same call over by her house. Makes me wonder if it isn’t an offspring of this one
You are being told to buy an Electric Vehicle.

1713929554641.png

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha after I typed it I was wondering if a comment like that would come out, I would have been disappointed if someone didn't.
Those Swaro's sound neat
You can click the link in my previous post and see the AI Birding binocs for yourself.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Merlin ID does that

Oh, nice. I was under the impression that it was only audio, I'll check it out.

We have lots of woodpeckers , must be mating call to peck on loud stuff , watched one hang upside down from plastic Oriole feeder right by the house rattling away it was loud, I ended up chasing him away
Once in a while we hear pileated woodpeckers. They remind me of a machine gun and seeing what they can do to a tree, looks like it was shot with one too.

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh, nice. I was under the impression that it was only audio, I'll check it out.

We have lots of woodpeckers , must be mating call to peck on loud stuff , watched one hang upside down from plastic Oriole feeder right by the house rattling away it was loud, I ended up chasing him away
Once in a while we hear pileated woodpeckers. They remind me of a machine gun and seeing what they can do to a tree, looks like it was shot with one too.

Yes, the hammering on hard surfaces is exactly that, a mating call. Want him to quit, you will have to either shoot him or get him a date.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Purple Martins surprised me this morning, seems early, at first there was a pair and last I saw there were 3 of them.
I don't ever recall seeing it snow after Martins show up. Haven't saw any Orioles yet.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
The swallows showed up today. May 1st this year. It's always the 1st week of May 27 years in a row.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have about 25-30 turkey vultures that roost in a radio tower above my house. You think if I tossed a dead carp, or a cleaned deer carcass in the back yard they'd come in? Probably put me on all the neighbor's shit lists.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
They would probably wait for it to get ripe. I stopped on a gravel road right beside 4 of them fighting over an old rank skunk carcass, It was like 90* in august and I rolled down the window and it stunk so bad that I almost puked. We have them close to the yard , In the spring when the adults are feeding the young they sound just like a bunch of monkeys in the woods and seem to go almost non stop. If they weren't federally protected I'd recommend the "Quiet pellet gun" thread. 🙂

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 42
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14