Best Deer Hunting Snacks

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
back in the day
I used to raid the kids Halloween stash but now I will take jerky, cheese sticks, and snickers

- - - Updated - - -

Goober Grape peanut butter and jelly straight out of the jar.

jelly.jpg

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’m not one for candy much but frozen snickers and reeses cups are so damn good.

it really depends on the hunt. If you’re out all day I take the jet boil because a hot meal is sooo satisfying. If not out all day just snacks to keep the energy up. Leftover pizza works awesome because it doesn’t get totally smashed in the pack like a sandwich does

- - - Updated - - -

Oscar Mayer protein snack pack deals are good too. Slice them open to avoid unnecessary noise. I like the cranberry/turkey/cheese one. Salty-sweet gets me every time

Sotaman

Established Member
Afterward -- and it's only during deer season, for some reason -- I like a plan white bun with copious butter and a hunk of summer sausage at least an inch thick. That's how my uncles always made them, and I guess it's a tradition I keep alive.[/QUOTE]

Put some grape jelly on it for me!!!! That was passed down from my grandpa and I love it

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Snickers n jerky. And appears I'm not alone in that category

Reading this thread reminded me of hunting as a kid. Old man would pack the food, and it was always a bag of what we call to this day "constipation sandwiches". Simply a bun with a slice of summer sausage or whatver. Depending on his mood he occasionally would add a slice of cheese. But never lube of any kind. No butter, nothing. I'm sure he will be packing that same shit this year, since he has a tag, and will smile as he offers us one...

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve been eating dog food to save money.

- - - Updated - - -

Seriously though nothing is better than soup broth on a cold day. On one of my adventures I almost froze to death(a long story)and when I got back to the truck I had chicken noodle soup in a thermos. I drank the broth and thought I died and went to heaven. Now I always make broth when I’m hunting or fishing in really cold temps.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys that are eating vienna sausages, sardines, pickled eggs, hard boiled eggs and bean dip must want to launch and then take flight to wherever you hunt. A birds eye view is a good strategy though. I like the nut and chocolate variety of Nut Harvest, I buy a big box of them from off Amazon.

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put some grape jelly on it for me!!!! That was passed down from my grandpa and I love it

Grape or strawberry jelly on top of breakfast sausage patties is something made for kings.

And as far as peanut butter goes, Skippy can't hold Jif's jock strap.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prime Cuts does a meat and cheese "trail-mix" with several different seasonings. The BBQ and butter-garlic are both excellent! It comes in 1# plastic containers, but, if you give them a couple days notice they'll vacuum seal for you in whatever quantity you want.

E4Z0khjx.jpg

Where is Prime Cuts?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnr packs me a tangy summer sausage sammich most of the time. The fish house gets better treatment, either way it’s part of the woman’s duty to make sure the fishermen is fed.
this might sound like bs, but it’s part of the tradition of being a johnr

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prime Cuts does a meat and cheese "trail-mix" with several different seasonings. The BBQ and butter-garlic are both excellent! It comes in 1# plastic containers, but, if you give them a couple days notice they'll vacuum seal for you in whatever quantity you want.

E4Z0khjx.jpg

They sell these out of the cooler daily. For the folks who've bought them a few times (or more, lots more) they're affectionally known as "Cup-O-Crack".

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those meat and cheese trail mix look awesome!
Every late November I sit from dark till dark for a week somewhere up in Canada. Nothing better than a thermos with some hot beef broth to warm your core, it just hits the spot!
I am also a fan of the sweet and salty chewy granola bars from walmart. The one thing you don't want to do is have to shit when your way up in a treestand wrapped in an Iwom, I've been lucky, 20 some years and I've never had to..yet.
But as you get older things that used to be simple like climbing up through the branches of a pine 30 ft to your stand are something I do very carefully these days. Even bring climbing sticks and a lifeline attached to a harness when possible.
Guess I don't eat allot during the day, but we have breakfasts and suppers fit for a king!

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago we used to hunt near the Kulm area had to drive through Wishek on our way, bought some ring Bologna from Stans there and some cheese with crackers, they changed the recipe a little but is still great, but not near as good, found reasons to go there. They used to make it on Fridays so would get it on our way opening day buy several rings or what they had left, never made it through the weekend, it was still warm

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 26
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15
  • This month: 12
  • This month: 11