Is spring here?

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is shaping up to be one of the earlier "springs" I can remember. The geese showed up last week (March 4th) and have been standing around on the ice of my pond. They look kind of pathetic, but I guess the early pair get the nesting box.

Boxelder bugs have been invading my home for the past 3 weeks now. SOBs!

The resident bluejay got here a couple days ago, around the 6th or 7th.

The river is open in Bismarck.

I suppose it's time to Frontline the dog.

I remember my stepfather's dad telling me that the earliest he ever planted his crops (mostly wheat and durum) was around March 25th sometime back in the 50s. Said it was the best crop he ever had.

Now if we could just get some of those spring rains, my grass might start to grow.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ground still frozen here in Red River valley. Lots of ponding.

- - - Updated - - -

maple sap was flowing well, this warmth stopped it, should recover

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the pep talk , I saw pickups driving on the lake here yesterday and it's 30* right now .

We have Blue Jays all winter up here, I just assumed the whole state was the same. Any idea where your might be migrating too ?

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Robins are here. Saw 2 rooster pheasants duking it out at the end of the driveway.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dock is in at interstate. Can't believe there wasn't a boat or two fighting each other to be first.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winters OVER, but spring isn't quite here yet

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Check back Wednesday night and we will see.;:;popcorn LB

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
North Dakota "spring" has a way of making you look like an idiot for winterizing the snow blower too soon. That's why I wait until June.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm glad someone is getting some moisture.

I don't know why my bluejays disappear, but they have every year. They don't even summer at my place, they just show up in the spring and again in the late fall. I can probably count on one hand the number of bluejays I have seen during the past 9 years at my place during the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

So in hindsight, I guess I shouldn't have referred to it as the resident bluejay.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NWS came out with the drought to continue, possibly get worse this summer.

sdtransplant

Established Member
sure the hell hope so , just saw a forecast for panhandle of Ne. possibility of up to 40" of snow thru the weekend. HOLY SH&%

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm glad someone is getting some moisture.

I don't know why my bluejays disappear, but they have every year. They don't even summer at my place, they just show up in the spring and again in the late fall. I can probably count on one hand the number of bluejays I have seen during the past 9 years at my place during the summer.

- - - Updated - - -

So in hindsight, I guess I shouldn't have referred to it as the resident bluejay.
Never had Blue Jays at my place until I planted some Giant Sunflowers. They would pick the seeds out and then fly up into my big pine trees and stash them then eat them all winter. If I dont have the sunflowers I dont have any winter Blue Jays. LB

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had a bag of Pro Plan Sport open at the end of pheasant season. That kibble is too hot for my dogs if they aren't working but blue jays love it.
DSC_5050-001-XL.jpg

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
No....snow season is not done..its not even mid March for cripes sake people! I summerized my JD 826 snow blower late March last year and jinxed the season as had to fire up again to blow snow after that..Not this year...summerizing is gonna happen closer to summer!!:;:imwithstupid

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We don’t have the snow cover to maintain cold temps. We’ll still have cold March days but temps will continue to be above average for this time of year. Weather Bucket sez.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^Concur with Weather Bucket. Snow is now gone. Barren black ground will retain more heat on sunny days. Average temps will be higher than if that snow cover was still there and reflecting the sun's rays back to space.

Speaking of snow and moisture, we are DRY. But North Dakota is also long overdue for a drought. We've been living on borrowed time. This could be the year...

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, not to be the bearer of bad news, but I once (maybe several times) read a report years ago that gave us really good odds of having a 30's style drought happening before 2050. While I don't recall all the details, something like that is life altering for all residents of ND. We've been living the good life with all the extra moisture over the past 30 yrs, and while we've been dry since last spring, it hasn't even really started to remove all that extra water off the countryside yet.

Like I told someone a few days ago, it's likely farmers and ranchers will get a few acres of land back this year. But it's going to come with a cost.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the blower off tractor this morning. That generally produces at least one good snow.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 132
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51