Population Explosion of Canadian "Super Pigs" Could Spread Into the Northern U.S.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you sure? Since they are a non-game animal I thought it was legal.
It was legal at one time to shoot them on sight. Then they changed their minds on this because they thought it would encourage people to introduce them for their shooting pleasure.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Years ago there was something in the proclamation with Deer tags about them being in Western N.D. And not shoot them but report them to game and fish. This had to be close to 15 yrs ago.

Yes, there was a period of time reports came from NW of Amidon about wild pigs. I often hunted the area there was supposed to have been pigs, but I never ran across them. Or even any obvious signs of wild pigs. If I remember right, I heard the NDGF killed off a herd of about 20 elsewhere in the Badlands.

Last edited:

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild pig has been seen in the Pembina gorge for some time perhaps 20 years, maybe perhaps when the moose population died off. The ndgf has asked the local landowners for information in locating these invasive species. I know the gnf never really frowned on farmers killing them as long as they let the gnf know where they encountered them so they can locate the sounder to kill the rest.
https://theminutemanblog.com/2019/10/29/feral-swine-reported-in-multiple-north-dakota-counties/
This article talks about more recent sitings of the wild pig

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes or if you are a farmer that saw that pig eat your newly planted corn fields or your wife's tomato plants.

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, there was a period of time reports came from NW of Amidon about wild pigs. I often hunted the area there was supposed to have been pigs, but I never ran across them. Or even any obvious signs of wild pigs. If I remember right, I heard the NDGF killed off a herd of about 20 elsewhere in the Badlands.
I remember that now. Thanks for the reminder.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just found this on G&F website:
"Therefore, shooting of feral pigs is illegal in North Dakota unless a person is protecting property or livestock."
Hahaha, same law shooting crows out of season in Minnesota, law reads shooting crows is allowed if doing damage or about to do damage...

I'm told it's a deal made with Mexico as crows are considered they're national bird like our eagles, not sure if this is true? We shoot as many crows as possible both spring and fall as they migrate.

Last edited:

Bobkat

Established Member
That’s an interesting article, though. I had no idea they were so widespread. Guess if one wanders into my scope site when I’m shooting at a prairie dog it just may be too late for this old guy to,stop that arthritic trigger pull!

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
shoot every wild pig you see, you're protecting someones property and or crops. No one needs them rooting up fields.

I've always been told about butchering domesticated pigs that you don't ever want to eat boar meat. Was always told it had a smell even when being cooked and tasted terrible. Was told you had to casterate them months before butchering. Now days everyone shoots wild boars and claim they're the best eating. I'm like wtf its a boar I thought they stunk and tasted like shit.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pork taint. Whooda thunk it. Bacon Bacon !!!!!!!
once in a great while you get a rank slab of bacon these days - used to occur more often but they screen for boar taint at the slaughter site now

my company tried to invent a sensor that would screen for taint before the pig was whacked
but we couldn't identify a sensor that reacted rapidly only to the skatole molecule

testing was done in a fume hood - YUK

"skat"ole

"Scat is a word used for animal droppings, feces or poop, specifically for carnivorous wild animal droppings."

Bobkat

Established Member
I have lots of friends, family, and acquaintances in hog country down south and they all say the same thing pretty much. Over 100 lbs is for population control and pictures. Under 100 lbs (preferably closer to 60) is for the table.
Like Javelina here in Az. The smaller the better, and don’t touch the scent gland on the back with knife or anything while skinning! Or toss it all out!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 53
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 27
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18