Sea Run Brook Trout

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.flyfisherman.com/editor...s) are,populations in Massachusetts and Maine.

- - - Updated - - -

I believe brooks would have the best chance of natural reproduction via the Tailrace creek with increased flow. Substrate mods may be necessary. I in amateur fashion believe a two pronged approach to stocking would have the most chance for success--smolts in the creek and adults off the ramp.

They could have a salmon egg feast along with browns and enjoy the fruit of rainbows in early spring.

Also, wouldn't this be cool to observe?:

https://youtu.be/Riay7pyaCOQ

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man, what fun!

That view from above the water, where you can see lots and lots of eyeballs.. makes my heart pound.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Trout kinda suck, if you want them drive or move to montana, I lived out there for a few years and thats all I could catch around bozeman...

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
Trout kinda suck, if you want them drive or move to montana, I lived out there for a few years and thats all I could catch around bozeman...

Yeah I mean why would anyone want to fight a trout when they can reel in a wet towel like most walleyes.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was able to eat fresh walleye last evening caught this prior wknd up at newtown as well as snacked on some smoked trout caught earlier this spring from a put and take lake in ND and i can say they were both excellent i do not understand the lust for walleye that everyone has up here yes it it fantastic but so it 10-12" smoked trout , as well as the salmon we targeted this spring was fantastic smoked.
the shear snobbery of the elite walleye fisherman baffles me.....yes fun to catch but so are trout from a put and take lake, so are trout from a native stream in wyoming, or salmon at lake michigan, or catfish on a late summer evening at the tailrace the diversity we have in ND is just fun

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I am a dyed in the wool walleye fan, I can understand and appreciate the diverse opportunities we have here in ND. Within 60 minutes of Bismarck I can find walleye, pike, LM and SM bass, trout, muskies, perch, bluegill, or catfish and if I want to go up to 2 hrs away from home I can add European zander and Asian carp to the mix.

That being said, I find bass anglers to be at least as annoying as the walleye snobs. I don't fish walleye for their reputation as a fighting fish and quite honestly I don't know anyone who does. For that I'd be chasing pike up here. Walleyes are more rewarding table fare and they are a finicky SOB at times, that's why I primarily target them. I'd go back to Florida again and chase tarpon and sharks that I can't eat if all I cared about was the fight of the species I chase.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. I want to hear more about this targeting of salmon in the spring, was that in ND. I've caught numerous salmon in the spring and early summer months on the Missouri, but I've never targeted them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know I've been obsessing on this for years: Imagine the education opportunity and well, the freaking cool factor of modifying the hatchery creek to simulate an alpine stream. I hereby swear to all NDA if I win the lottery this will be my life mission. It shall be named North Dakota Seven Hills Stream of Symbiotic Peace and Abundance. There will be a large interpretive center featuring me commanding the sunrise like Dwayne Fart Idiot's commission when he made full manager.

cache.php

https://youtu.be/S-iHK0xTneg

Another reminder for the walleye purists:

https://youtu.be/Riay7pyaCOQ

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126