What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Hunting
Big Game Hunting
Elk
2022 Elk Hunting stories and pics
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="SupressYourself" data-source="post: 349703" data-attributes="member: 340"><p>I'll start.</p><p></p><p>My brother and I were in Wyoming for 10 days on a DIY, public land, pack it in and out on your back-type archery hunt.</p><p>We saw quite a few elk, including some really nice bulls, but initially, they were pretty quiet, and seemed to disappear altogether when 3 idiots riding around on horses, cow calling and bugling the whole time showed up. -- Seriously, what kind of tactic is that?</p><p></p><p>We found a good drainage with no trails (and no f-ing horse buglers) and got into a good batch of bulls. We slipped into their bedding area, and it was insane. 5 or 6 bulls bugling their guts out every 30 seconds or so. I was able to call this dandy within 20 yards of my brother. I wasn't quite able to see, as I kept backing up while cow-calling to keep him coming, but the last bugle sounded like he was right on top of me. My brother made a great shot, and he was down within a minute or so. </p><p>[ATTACH=full]53818[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p></p><p>Then the work began. 2 miles back to camp, and another 5 to the truck. We did it in 2 trips. Neither was pleasant.</p><p>All told, the GPS says we put 107 miles on our boots, all between 9,000 and 10,000 feet elevation. Every year I say it's the hardest thing I've ever done, and this year was no different.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="SupressYourself, post: 349703, member: 340"] I'll start. My brother and I were in Wyoming for 10 days on a DIY, public land, pack it in and out on your back-type archery hunt. We saw quite a few elk, including some really nice bulls, but initially, they were pretty quiet, and seemed to disappear altogether when 3 idiots riding around on horses, cow calling and bugling the whole time showed up. -- Seriously, what kind of tactic is that? We found a good drainage with no trails (and no f-ing horse buglers) and got into a good batch of bulls. We slipped into their bedding area, and it was insane. 5 or 6 bulls bugling their guts out every 30 seconds or so. I was able to call this dandy within 20 yards of my brother. I wasn't quite able to see, as I kept backing up while cow-calling to keep him coming, but the last bugle sounded like he was right on top of me. My brother made a great shot, and he was down within a minute or so. [ATTACH type="full"]53818[/ATTACH] Then the work began. 2 miles back to camp, and another 5 to the truck. We did it in 2 trips. Neither was pleasant. All told, the GPS says we put 107 miles on our boots, all between 9,000 and 10,000 feet elevation. Every year I say it's the hardest thing I've ever done, and this year was no different. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: BrokenBackJack
37 minutes ago
T
Sharptails/Huns with labradors
Latest: Traxion
57 minutes ago
migration 26
Latest: 1lessdog
Today at 12:37 PM
I HATE coyotes!!!!
Latest: SDMF
Today at 11:47 AM
Fall fishing?
Latest: sdwxman
Today at 8:43 AM
A.I. Are you Excited?
Latest: Eatsleeptrap
Today at 6:30 AM
A
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: Auggie
Today at 6:02 AM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Slappy
Yesterday at 11:01 PM
Ham/Women
Latest: svnmag
Yesterday at 10:08 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: lunkerslayer
Yesterday at 8:39 PM
Pronghorn
Latest: Maddog
Yesterday at 6:52 PM
O
Metal roof or shingles?
Latest: OL Deadeye
Yesterday at 8:46 AM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 2:31 AM
Lotsa bots
Latest: Davy Crockett
Sunday at 8:43 PM
T
NDSU to the FBS???
Latest: Twitch
Sunday at 7:24 PM
Sale
Ford Tailgate bench
Latest: wslayer
Sunday at 5:33 PM
Sale
STEINER Predator 12 x 50
Latest: 1lessdog
Saturday at 4:27 PM
A
Steak Knives?
Latest: Auggie
Saturday at 4:12 PM
Makoti Lake, ND
Latest: eyexer
Saturday at 9:39 AM
How far can Paddlefish travel
Latest: eyexer
Saturday at 9:11 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 9:54 PM
Friends of NDA
Forums
Hunting
Big Game Hunting
Elk
2022 Elk Hunting stories and pics
Top
Bottom