What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
Recipes
Another grill recommendatiion thread!
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Traxion" data-source="post: 107963" data-attributes="member: 983"><p>The discussion on Traeger/Big Green Egg was interesting. I am currently shopping for a new grill. Nothing crazy, looking at a budget max of $1,000. Currently I have an old gas Weber along with an electric Masterbilt smoker. The Weber is a good grill just rusting out. I am not terribly happy with the electric smoker (only works decently in cold weather) and I often use a smoke generator in it to supplement. </p><p></p><p>I grill a lot and all year round. I probably go through 4-5 20# tanks on my small Weber each year. I use the smoker less but still a decent bit in the winter. </p><p></p><p>I am have no issues with a good gas grill. I have looked at several new Weber models and like what I see. However, I am intrigued by pellet grills. A few I know have Traegers and love them. I like the simplicity of the cooking process. Set the temp and forget. I am really leaning towards a Green Mountain Grill or Camp Chef (or Cabelas) if I go that way. They seem to be the best reviewed grills in the less than crazy price range. </p><p></p><p>Here are my issues/concerns:</p><p></p><p>Pellet Consumption- With as much as I grill, will pellet consumption be similar to propane costs? Not that fuel costs are a major concern but if it is significant it may be a deterrent. I don't know of any pellet suppliers that are that close to buy in large bulk.</p><p></p><p>Reliability- Lots of moving parts. How much maintenance is involved. Gas grills have much less.</p><p></p><p>Year Round Cooking- With the pellet grill I am certainly going to need a blanket to cook in warm temps without have a pellet factory in the back yard. </p><p></p><p>High Temp Ability- I like to cook hot and fast , especially with steaks. Not because of time, I'm just comfortable cooking that way. I like nice grill marks on my food. Pellet grills don't provide this. I know you can get Grill Grates for searing/grill marks for the pellet grill.</p><p></p><p>I'm not lazy and love to cook. I am just trying to figure out what would be best for me. Any thoughts based on the above?</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Traxion, post: 107963, member: 983"] The discussion on Traeger/Big Green Egg was interesting. I am currently shopping for a new grill. Nothing crazy, looking at a budget max of $1,000. Currently I have an old gas Weber along with an electric Masterbilt smoker. The Weber is a good grill just rusting out. I am not terribly happy with the electric smoker (only works decently in cold weather) and I often use a smoke generator in it to supplement. I grill a lot and all year round. I probably go through 4-5 20# tanks on my small Weber each year. I use the smoker less but still a decent bit in the winter. I am have no issues with a good gas grill. I have looked at several new Weber models and like what I see. However, I am intrigued by pellet grills. A few I know have Traegers and love them. I like the simplicity of the cooking process. Set the temp and forget. I am really leaning towards a Green Mountain Grill or Camp Chef (or Cabelas) if I go that way. They seem to be the best reviewed grills in the less than crazy price range. Here are my issues/concerns: Pellet Consumption- With as much as I grill, will pellet consumption be similar to propane costs? Not that fuel costs are a major concern but if it is significant it may be a deterrent. I don't know of any pellet suppliers that are that close to buy in large bulk. Reliability- Lots of moving parts. How much maintenance is involved. Gas grills have much less. Year Round Cooking- With the pellet grill I am certainly going to need a blanket to cook in warm temps without have a pellet factory in the back yard. High Temp Ability- I like to cook hot and fast , especially with steaks. Not because of time, I'm just comfortable cooking that way. I like nice grill marks on my food. Pellet grills don't provide this. I know you can get Grill Grates for searing/grill marks for the pellet grill. I'm not lazy and love to cook. I am just trying to figure out what would be best for me. Any thoughts based on the above? [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
Recipes
Another grill recommendatiion thread!
Top
Bottom