Bitter and Waubay lakes, SD

Hoffer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never fished this area, but a group of us rented a place and plan to fish there for a couple days starting this Tuesday. Anyone have any experience/advice? Targeting walleye and perch.

I’m not looking for your secret spots, just looking for advice on decent access points, depths for this time of year, lures that work, etc. I don’t think guys are driving on these lakes yet (but I could be wrong) so we will probably be looking to fish within reasonable walking distance from shore.

Thanks ahead of time!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
High mercury content on bitter and it has a lot of springs that make the ice fun to navigate. Waubay you just look for structure and fish. I would look at the littler lakes in that area as there is a lot better fishing on them when walking in my experience

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve fished bitter a couple of times but always a different part of the lake. I do know that the new resort/bar has Busch light bottles.

sdtransplant

Established Member
There is a bait shop right on the north side of highway 12 in webster , can't remember the name of it tho, they always are willing to give out any info. Believe it is Doug Johnson that runs it. Don't forget to go to the Legion Club and shoot the minnow if they still have it.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bitter is one of my fav's,infact most of the lakes in the area are great walleye/perch lakes but agreed ^^^^ mercury and other pollutants.

bitter north access follow the southeast shoreline out 1/4mile off shore eyeball a grassey point as you head east pop a few holes south of grassey point look for 15fow,walleye,(if you go to far south its 2fow no good),perch and expect some pike to come through,locals fish the tree's at sundown,never fished em always to many people.

Enemy swim has some dandy gills if ya get a chance its worth it.

Bait shop in webster (sportsman cove) can be hit or miss with intel,buy some bait,small verticle spoons like swedish pimples if you don't have em,check on the daily limits and slot,think sd still has a 15" min slot for eyes but double check.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 158
  • This month: 147
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93